Jump to content

Council tax bill because someone lied about staying with me.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3338 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and really hope to get some good advice if possible.


I have received a bill from GCC for £700 due to a gentleman lying about living in my rented property in 2009/2010


I was a student at my previous property living with another 2 students under multiple occupancy although the tenancy agreement was in my name multiple occupancy was stated on it. The council tax bill was also in my name and as the other fellows were students we were all exempt from paying council tax. Received our exemption notices every year, no issues.


In 2009 a friends cousin started getting letters redirected via royal mail to my home address, I called him and told him I didn't want him to get his mail here and kept writing return to sender on the envelopes.


The letters kept coming so I eventually started opening them and calling the companies/banks to advise that the person has never stayed in my house. From opening the letters I can see that he was claiming bankruptcy as a lot of letters were from a solicitor. I learnt from the guys cousin that he was claiming bankruptcy but didn't want the courts to take his house off of him so he redirected all his letters or words to that effect.


So he was fraudulently claiming benefits and bankruptcy but I can't say anything as I shouldn't have opened his letters obviously...


A few months down the line I started getting letters from DWP, he was claiming benefits at my address even though he'd never lived here!I returned them to sender, these letters from DWP were addressed to my address as opposed to redirected.


Anyway I moved out the house a few months later and didn't think any more of it until I got a letter from BPO debt collection saying I owed them £700. I called Glasgow city Council to ask them why I'd received a letter to my new address and to inform them I was always a student in the last house so never had to pay council tax.


They informed me that they had received a signed declaration from the guy who was claiming he stayed with me saying that he was residing in my house therefore I had to pay his part of the council tax as my name was the only name on the bill. I also followed up with a letter to the same effect so that they could have my record there. They have since written back to me confirming what they said on the phone that they have a declaration from Mr so and so and also a declaration from DWP that he was living with me. They have also sent me new bills and confirmed they have communicated the info back to BPO debt collection.


My old landlord said he will write a letter to confirm the guy never lived there but if they don't believe me why would they believe him?


I managed to get a hold of this person's number through a friend of mine, I called and told the guy that he'd landed me a bill from GCC for his lies and that I'd appreciate if we could come up with some arrangement with GCC for him to pay the money, my wife is due a baby next month so I can't afford to pay it all in lump sum... The guy basically hung up (not surprised). I know he now owns a takeaway and I know where it is but I don't know his home address so I can't tell the council any info really apart from where the takeaway is and even then I'm still liable for the bill if he doesn't pay I suppose.


I'm so stuck and I have no idea what to do-if anything-he has really got me over a barrell...


Am I lumped with this debt or can I fight it? Would it even be worth taking him to a small claims court if I have to pay the council tax bill?


Any help much appreciated guys.


Thanks in advance

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like one for action fraud and the police.

Get a crime ref no. and sen it to the council and that will get the ball rolling


Don't worry about opening the letters - I don't expect anyone wil blink about it

Link to post
Share on other sites



If this claim he is making was during his bankruptcy then I would have a polite chat with the bankruptcy practitioner at the below link. Sounds to me as if he has been caught for something or getting investigated and has basically tried to pass the buck to you.


This link may be of some use; http://www.aib.gov.uk/


I would discuss nothing with this individual and do as Bankfodder has stated in his post as well.


Now as for GCC (Law unto themselves).


Do you have your council tax bills, tenancy agreement etc for that period of your entitlements if not write to the council and ask for this.


I know you have asked that Landlord to write to the council about this but you really need a copy of the letter that he sends to the council.


Now you need to speak to The Benefit Counter Fraud Unit of GCC and DWP.


GCC link http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/residents/yourhome/benefitfraud/


DWP link http://campaigns.dwp.gov.uk/campaigns/benefit-thieves/


Hope this is of some help.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...