Union Concerns

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4342 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a been with my union for many years and have never had cause to request their assistance until recent difficulties at work. Paid subs without fail!

Their initial response for assistance by the local rep was extremely poor! Never consulted me before meetings and turned up late showing very little interest!

They finally abandoned me for reasons i wont go into and i know this is very common where there are costs for them.

I continue to pay my subs to them but not sure whether i should stop this! Perhaps a silly question, but by continuing i feel that i will have a better means of challenging them when things are completed!

The worrying thing is that i've received information that the union rep is collaborating and sharing information with my employer against me, providing information that i believe to be confidential!

I feel totally let down and worry they may be called as a witness to give evidence against me! Not sure what though but i wouldnt trust the woman at all!

Should i complain to union or higher! Difficult because i've been tipped off by an inside source !

Thanks caggers!

I have a been with my union for many years and have never had cause to request their assistance until recent difficulties at work. Paid subs without fail!

Their initial response for assistance by the local rep was extremely poor! Never consulted me before meetings and turned up late showing very little interest!

They finally abandoned me for reasons i wont go into and i know this is very common where there are costs for them.

I continue to pay my subs to them but not sure whether i should stop this! Perhaps a silly question, but by continuing i feel that i will have a better means of challenging them when things are completed!

The worrying thing is that i've received information that the union rep is collaborating and sharing information with my employer against me, providing information that i believe to be confidential!

I feel totally let down and worry they may be called as a witness to give evidence against me! Not sure what though but i wouldnt trust the woman at all!

Should i complain to union or higher! Difficult because i've been tipped off by an inside source !

Thanks caggers!

In your position I would keep on paying the union dues because your problem appears to be with the individual rep rather than the union itself. Also it is cheap so the cost is not an issue.

Having said that, I understand your position as I have been there. Members are not really important to unions these days as they make money from many sources other than union subs. You should be diplomatic but insist on seeing the local paid Regional Officer who works for the union. Insist on an appointment no matter how busy he/she claims to be and air your concerns informally. Also insist on being accompanied to meetings by a paid union official as the workplace rep is clearly out of their depth and not committed.

The stuff about breaches of confidentiality and collusion with employer can be aired informally at that meeting, It is not uncommon for workers in your position to see the workplace rep as being too "cosy" with management, which may or may not be true. However, it is up to the union to make sure that your case gets the attention and support it deserves and, if they do not provide an adequate level of service, I believe you can take them to the ET for breach of contract/ trust or somesuch.

Hi man

Welcome to CAG

I think you've summed up how the 'union' operates nicely, they are 'pretty self serving'. If your not happy with their 'actions' to date, take the matter to the 'leader' of the Union, also if they've got a 'Twitter' account, lodge your complaint there. If they spent as much time on 'your cause' as they do in selling you

financial products then it might be worth the 'subscription's fees.

Please let us know how your problem has been resolved, it could help fellow Caggers.

This is so 'True', it's a conflict of interest, although it shouldn't be, but I've found it to be the case, I've got some crazy examples.

'It is not uncommon for workers in your position to see the workplace rep as being too "cosy" with management,'

Please can you elaborate on what type of problem you have with the employer.

For example if the matter is a discrimination matter then the union could also be discriminating against you and you may need to take some action there too, so knowing the nature of the grievance you have will help us to advice better.

Hi all,

I work for a trade union.

I have to say that I do not under any circumstances treat individuals like this, but I do understand when there are issues with local 'lay' reps, these issues must be dealt with.

Your treatment above sounds awful and definitely needs pursuing. The union is its members, and therefore the members of the union should be very important at all stages of the union organisation, they certainly are in the union I work for.

You need to contact your regional office, find out who the full time official is who has responsibility for your employer and have a conversation, yes request a meeting. It might also be worth looking at the unions rules, within the union rules there will be something about investigations of reps or information on how to make a complaint.

I hope that is helpful.

George Loveless - “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"

My advice is only my opinion, I am not a legal expert.

IF YOU LIKE THE ADVICE I'M GIVING AND ARE HAPPY WITH IT, CLICK THE SCALES ON THE BOTTOM LEFT OF THIS POST AND TELL ME.