TDCI 1.6 Turbo failure.

Kaluki
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4236 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Long story but in short, bought a ford focus 1.6 tdci estate oct13th 2011, by 25th jan2012 turbo had failed, well within 6 months SOGA advise. so emailed trader twice followed by 3 recorded letters, and then took to small claims court, trader then contacted me, (surprise surprise) said he would fix car, got car back on 4th may today 2nd june turbo fails again!

AA have taken back to garage what to do next ,do itake back car after 2nd repair or demand money back!

Have lost all faith in car and garage!

What do i do next??

regards Jill

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jill,

I'm no expert here, but it sounds like something else is causing the turbo to fail. Did you get any weird symptoms prior to the failure? I ask because I had an issue with my old Mondel (2.0 DuroTorq 130BHP) where the revs were not steady and she was blowing loads of smoke. Turned out that the pipe that fed the turbo with exhaust gas was split, so I wasn't getting the necessary pressure.

In reality, you probably need to take it to Ford to get a proper diagnosis.

Jeremy

Computer Problems? Give me a shout...

No other issues before first failure, no oil lights engine management lght no smoke nothing. went out to pick up son half way there went into limp mode, by the time i got to son (about 1 mile) a horendous rattle from the engine.

Got it home the mechanic put computor on and dpf blocked.

It is a known fault in the engine, ford recomend a new engine. I allowed the trader to get it fixed to givr him a chance I told him it was an inherant fault, if he is going tho replace turbo all oil pipes need changing infact its a 5 to 6 hour job, on the invoice he gave me for the job he had done 1.7 hours to change turbo oil feed pipe new filter and oil, did not flush the engine ( which one ford garage told to do, the other he rang said new engine)and replace ALL oli pipes.

just a bad job done. 820 miles later turbo starts to rattle again so pulled over and called aa who took it back to repair garage.( who are on the same site as trader who i bought car from) they said the oil pump had failed, repair would in excess of £300.

I have the car at home now, cost me £40 to get it home, and £165 for them to tell me what was supposedly wrong. Have now resarted court claim.

Have a look at the Honest John forum there is loads on there about this fault.

Hi,

I am sorry to say, and you will prob cry but the 1.6 tdci engine is well known for killing turbos. What causes the turbo too fail is the blocking of the oil ways within the engine, there is a so called official ford "fix" for this but it has produced mixed results and in most cases repeated failure.

I would personally reject the car if you still can and demand a full refund.... stay well clear of these engines - ford are well aware of the issue but wont admit its a problem as they would have too recall thousands and thousands of engines.

There is a long thread on here already on the very same subject.

Hi Jill,

That's not good. I see you mention the dreaded DPF. I have one of those in my new Mondeo, but it's not an issue as most of my miles are high speed and long journies. Do you know about the DPF needing to regenerate, and needing to do some fast-ish driving (my handbook says 20mins at 50mph) to help the DPF regenerate?

Jeremy

Yes dpf was 'regenerated' after first failure, according to their bill took them 0.55 hr and cost £55 +vat.

I have been told to drive at 3000 revs for about 20 mns to 'regenerate' it your self.= by mechanic (my usual guy) who diagnosed the intial problem.

Bought car for £3780

Before i relised my rights with soga I bought a new turbo £365

When it first failed and had no response frm trader went and bought an old car for £700.

To swap insurances from focus to astra and back again cost£45 each time.

To get car back from garage £40

and their diagnostic charge £165

I have run out of spare money!

Hiya,

How many miles did it have when you got it? 3000RPM for a diesel is really high for constant running. If I do the recommended in mine and do 50mph for 20 mins it's only doing 1800rpm or so. What are you meant to do, drive everywhere in second? What does it say in the handbook?

Jeremy

was only advised to drive at 3000 revs for 20 mins, didnt do it, sounded extreme. but i regulally done 50/60 miles hour for 4/5 miles. Havent read the handbook never had a problomatic car!

Car had 95000 when i bought it, 98 000 when the turbo went the first time, 820 then turbo went again.

Hmmmm. 95K isn't that much for a diesel. My old Mondeo has 125K on the clock when I changed it, and I only changed it because stuff like wheelbearings started going.

My handbook for the new Mondeo says you should do 50/60mph for 20 minutes to regenerate the DPF. I know one symptom of clogged up DPFs is the oil levels can rise (caused by fuel leeking into the oil).

Jeremy

I have read that the turbo failure is due to the 3rd injector leaking, a carbon build up from the leaking injector in the oil, then blocks filters, and there are several in the tdci engine, just needs one, (usually dpf) to block for turbo failure.

this the link to the Honest John website

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=91541#m1055461

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...