Travelling on the tube with an invalid tube ticket

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4346 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I've read quite a few thread on here regarding the similar issue.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice as i have been summonsed to appear in Court next month and am extremely stressed out about the outcome.

In January i was cautioned by a rail Control Inspector on the Tube (Jubilee line) for travelling without a valid ticket and using a Freedom Pass. I am a carer (25yrs) and carry this card for my client as she has become to ill to hold onto it herself.

In this instance i was travelling alone, my oyster card had £0.00 on it and i stupidly used the Freedom Pass.

I am a nurse and i love my job and am extremely worried as having a conviction against me would ruin any future job prospects and my career. I do not have a criminal record and have never done anything like this.

I am guilty in this case of fare evading and wish to pled guilty through a written plea as i believe it could reduce the fine or penalty?

It has taken 6months to hear from anyone and I wish to get this all over with as i have stressed myself out and am making myself feel physically ill with the guilt.

I am in the process of writing a statement of mitigation but am unsure of what exactly to put in it.

If anyone can give me any advise it would be much appreciated.

S

Hi shanana

Welcome to CAG

The guys will be happy to advise as soon as they are available.

Please let us know how your problem has been resolved, it could help fellow Caggers.

I would not ever condone blatant fare evasion, but if your story is wholly true and this was a one-off abberation, you might try something along these lines:

"I wish to offer an unreserved apology to the Rail Company and the staff involved for my foolish action in using the Freedom Pass that I was not entitled to use when travelling on the Jubilee Line on XXXX DATE. I recognise that this was very wrong and a breach of trust, which is wholly out of character. It was a one off use for which I am genuinely ashamed and which arose because I arrived at the station for my journey home and realised that I had no credit on my own PAYG Oyster. I carry the Freedom Pass on behalf of a person for whom I act as carer.

I implore the company to consider my request to allow me to settle this matter without you resorting to prosecution, conviction for which would have a devastating and disproportionate effect on my 25 year career in the nursing and care service. I am offering to make immediate payment of all the fares and reasonable administration costs incurred by the company in order to resolve this matter without Court action."

They don't have to agree, they may well continue to prosecution with justification.

Freedom passes are paid for by public money to assist people in genuine need and the frequent abuse of that facility is rightly considered to be a serious offence.

Edited by Old-CodJA

Good post:-)

I would not ever condone blatant fare evasion, but if your story is wholly true and this was a one-off abberation, you might try something along these lines:

"I wish to offer an unreserved apology to the Rail Company and the staff involved for my foolish action in using the Freedom Pass that I was not entitled to use when travelling on the Jubilee Line on XXXX DATE. I recognise that this was very wrong and a breach of trust, which is wholly out of character. It was a one off use for which I am genuinely ashamed and which arose because I arrived at the station for my journey home and realised that I had no credit on my own PAYG Oyster. I carry the Freedom Pass on behalf of a person for whom I act as carer.

I implore the company to consider my request to allow me to settle this matter without you resorting to prosecution, conviction for which would have a devasating and disproportionate effect on my 25 year career in the nursing and care service. I am offering to make immediate payment of all the fares and reasonable administration costs incurred by the company in order to resolve this matter without Court action."

They don't have to agree, they may well continue to prosecution with justification.

Freedom passes are paid for by public money to assist people in genuine need and the frequent abuse of that facility is rightly considered to be a serious offence.