DLR ticket - IRCAS charges

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4340 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I took the DLR from Limehouse to Crossharbour. I was going home after gym, it was pretty late and I thought I had dropped my Oyster card at the gym. A long story short I didn't tap in nor buy a ticket.

Anyway, I explained this to the ticket inspector and he issues me a penalty fare which is fair enough. When he asked for ID to confirm my address, I showed it to him but explained I hadn't lived at this address for 3 years (I haven't needed a car since I moved to London and haven't changed my address on my license). Like most of these [edit], he basically said it wasn't his problem I need to tell IRCAS about it. After a heated debate, I appealed my ticket.

Anyway, I was too concerned telling IRCAS what a [edit] the inspector was and not listening to anything I was saying that i didn't correct the wrong address he had filled in.

I hadn't heard anything back from IRCAS but I still tried paying my fine on time - I took a screenshot of the IRCAS site saying I can't pay the fine because it is being appealed. A week later still nothing. A week after that I get a call from my old address saying I've got a letter threatening prosecution.

I paid the £40, but I think it's unfair that IRCAS added £30 in admin charges for letters they were sending to this old address and the other £40 I've got to pay because the DLR inspector outright refused to take my correct details.

If I was just being a [edit] and decided not to pay them, then fair enough, those charges make sense. However, the details were taken down wrongly in the first place because TFL staff wouldn't take down the correct information. The additional charges are not necessary; it's just some process/policy made to punish people who waste the time of IRCAS etc. which in this case is the inspector, so they should either get rid of the charges or get him to pay it. Am I wrong?

Edited by honeybee13
Removing pejorative words.

Hello again.

I'm sorry you haven't had any replies yet, it seems to have gone quiet for the long weekend. I expect the forum regulars will be along when they can. I'll try to fill in some details until they turn up, but I'm a forum observer rather than an expert.

The guys will confirm this or not later, but I think your problems may stem from not being able to prove where you live. If you could only show an old address, the RPI may have decided to take it because at least you had lived there at some point, rather than one you made up in an effort to get away.

I know they can ring for confirmation of identity and I believe it uses information like the electoral role. I can see that if he thought you were making up an address in order to avoid a fine, he wouldn't want to risk the rail people being unable to contact you. It seems slightly odd that there was no way to verify where you live.

And it could be that the tone of your letter about their inspector made them decide to withdraw the option of your paying a penalty and go directly go court. The guys here always recommend apologising [and meaning it] and I can't remember a case here when someone has told the company about the RPI's shortcomings and had a good response. It could be worth another letter with a different tone, because as I see it, IRCAS have the whip hand at the moment, but if you write in the same vein as before I think they may not back off. The guys will tell you when they get here.

You probably won't like what I've said either, but I've read enough threads here to understand aspects of how the system works.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks. I believe you only need to do that if you're actually driving... I plan to do

it soon anyway after this fiasco

it is a requirement to tell the DVLA immediately. You must have continued to use the licence as a form of Id. As the address was not changed you have admitted leaving the property 3 years ago I have to ask is it a family residence?

Honeybee is correct the Toc will not respond positively to a letter containing accusations, the prosecution team will look at facts to present and probability me a successful conviction.

If this is your first offence the prosecutor will consider a pleading letter with mitigating circumstances. This is dependant on the Toc as not all are willing to settle out of court.