Problem with National Rail and not swiping in, what happens next?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4346 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

What happened to me is got of the bus and tried to catch the train but unfortunately missed it and approached by inspector who didn't want to listen anything and issued me with a thin slip by saying that someone will write to you but he has taken all the details of what happened. I had my oyster with me as well which I didn't swipe which entring merely coz I was in a rush and thought that I would ticket in thr train but I didn't even boarded the train and he has not given me enough time to go back and purchase it. It was national rail. Well luckily he got previous address and the last nane right and rest of the details wrong like ni number first name and date of birth and I don't live at that address anymore, need to know what happen next.

What happened to me is got of the bus and tried to catch the train but unfortunately missed it and approached by inspector who didn't want to listen anything and issued me with a thin slip by saying that someone will write to you but he has taken all the details of what happened. I had my oyster with me as well which I didn't swipe which entring merely coz I was in a rush and thought that I would ticket in thr train but I didn't even boarded the train and he has not given me enough time to go back and purchase it. It was national rail. Well luckily he got previous address and the last nane right and rest of the details wrong like ni number first name and date of birth and I don't live at that address anymore, need to know what happen next.

Are you able to tell us what the slip of paper says please? I think the guys may need more details in order to be able to advise you.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Are you able to tell us what the slip of paper says please? I think the guys may need more details in order to be able to advise you.

HB

Hi

The slip just got the prosecution dept. address on it and also allows you to travel from place to another on same date so that you can complete your journey. But any way right after that incident I purchased extra ticket for the next train to catch as in that process I already missed two trains just coz of that stupid inspector who was only lookin at his commission which he will get he issues mevthat slip. First thing I didn't board the train and second I was in possession of oyster card plus enough money to buy tens of tickets like that and the third and last is he stopped me in error thinking I was getting of the train.

The slip also says " if fail to carry, passenger to send a copy of their season ticket within 14 days to the address below." which is the prosecution dept. Address.

What would you recon shall I wait for their letter which probably I'll not receive as the address is not the new one or shall I just forward them my tickets which I bought layer along with my oyster number and the copy of that slip so that the matter will remain in control.

He was so dumb that he has written that the passenger crossed the point without the valid ticket and tried to board the train and in my comments he had written that I forgot to swipe my oyster ad I was in a rush to catch the train.

He was so dumb that he has written that the passenger crossed the point without the valid ticket and tried to board the train and in my comments he had written that I forgot to swipe my oyster ad I was in a rush to catch the train.

If he has recorded what he saw, and also he has also quoted what you said ..... how does that make him "dumb"?.

If he has recorded what he saw, and also he has also quoted what you said ..... how does that make him "dumb"?.

I agree. This appears to be a case where the OP did not hold a valid ticket and has given false or inaccurate details, but realises that s/he may be traceable from the details given and is now concerned that s/he may be caught out.

If the OP has given their former address it is often very easy to trace where s/he has moved to. Clearly the inspector has only recorded what the OP provided and if the OP has only given their name and former address, but not their correct address, they could well find themselves facing a charge of attempted fare evasion in due course.

But any way right after that incident I purchased extra ticket for the next train to catch as in that process I already missed two trains just coz of that stupid inspector who was only lookin at his commission which he will get he issues mevthat slip. First thing I didn't board the train and second I was in possession of oyster card plus enough money to buy tens of tickets like that and the third and last is he stopped me in error thinking I was getting of the train.

Buying a ticket after being reported does not prevent prosecution of a charge of attempted fare evasion. The Act says '..having not previously paid..'

The inspector does not get commission on prosecution cases

A Pay-as-you-go Oyster that hasn't been touched in is not a valid ticket

How much money you are carrying has no bearing on the offence

It is possible to bring a prosecution whether the traveller has made a journey or not if evidence of intent to avoid a fare can be shown. The Regulation of Railways Act (1889) actually says 'If any person travels, or attempts to travel...'

Unless the OP decides to contact the rail company I guess s/he will just have to wait to see how 'stupid' and 'dumb' the inspector was. Maybe the OP will hear nothing, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Edited by Old-CodJA

Thanks for your detail reply. I wish I would nit hear anything but no worries as I still have access to my mail ad I just recently moved and if worse happen, I'll reply with apollogy and offer to pay any fine.

Hello again.

I'm not one of the experts, but I would say it would be better to deal with this once the letter arrives. We've seen people here before who train companies have caught up with, some years later. I believe it's possible, and someone else will confirm hopefully, for a case to go ahead in your absence and a verdict be handed down. This could happen if you don't receive or don't open the letter.

And the Oyster system can track people, there was a very interesting programme on BBC2 recently.

My understanding is that if you are on railway company property, like the platform, you need a ticket, not just on the train. This could be why he wrote 'that the passenger crossed the point without the valid ticket'. There may well be a notice stating this.

You should write and apologise, as you say, and then it's up to the rail company if they want to accept your apology and offer to pay the fare and reasonable admin expenses, or take this further.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Gr8 reply .So basically you are suggesting that I have to wait for their letter to arrive no matter if it takes a year or so and then reply and if I'll not then they will definitely take it to court and prosecute me in my absence.