Credit card want a doctors letter

SillyOldFool
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4345 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been rather ill recently. I am already disabled with a broken back, but I was diagnosed with cancer last year and had surgery to remove the tumor. I had to go back again this March to have some more surgery to finish things off.

I have been unable to work for some time, and the little money I have coming in does not cover the bills as such. I wrote to my creditors and asked them to write the debts off as there was no prospect of paying them.

I have received a letter from one credit card this week. A nice enough letter, but it asks me for a doctors letter to confirm my illness. I am not actually sure what thay want me to get, but I feel very uncomfortable discussing my personal finances with my GP.

Any advise would be appreciated.

I think a straight forward statement on

your condition now and the prognosis.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

It's the banks which are in trouble. They and their cowardly politician mates are making the general population pay for the crookedness of a handful of bankers and financiers, that's why you're in trouble. It doesn't reflect on you at all, there's nothing you can do when the government itself doesn't play straight.

What are you talking about? I willingly borrowed. Nobody persuaded me to take a credit card. I asked for it and used it at my desire. Not the banks fault at all. My illness is the reason for my financial situation, nothing else. Without my illness I would still be working and happily paying MY debts.

• Confused 1

Sillyoldfool How refreshing to hear someone say that they willingly borrowed and its not the Banks fault for your current situation. Although many people have been unfairly treated by their banks and other financial institutions, there are an awful lot of people who have been treatted properly and fairly.

I hope your Credit card company continue to act in an appropriate manner and help you with a situation that was not of your choice. I can understand them just wanting some confirmation from your Dr as it is a std excuse used by so many people that they are ill etc when trying to avoid a debt, that they do need some sort of verification now, not just your word for it.

You have nothing to loose by sending them what they want and you may find that they are willing to forgo your debt to them especially if you have been a good payer in the past.

I can only speak from personal experience but have found that even with financial institutions if you are right with them they can be right with you.

Good luck

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

I think the true blame lies somewhere in the grey area, and not at the black or white ends.

The UK is an economy heavily underpinned by consumer credit, says he stating the BO.

There are idiots on both sides. Most banks threw money at people, with Northern Rock even offering 125% mortgages as "house prices will spiral upwards for ever"; and some consumers who saw offers of credit as income rather than something that required to be repaid.

However, even with the fairest minded consumer, the finance industry often can see people only as they saw them when they took out the credit. With soaring unemployment, the industry seems to like to act as if it being paid should be a priority over all else, and uses intimidation and/or ignorance of the law to leave some people with the dilemma of food/heat [/url]or paying all that is asked of them (whilst invariably being hit with additional charges for their being inconsiderate enough to have a massive fall in income).

As with the OP, many people end up being unable to pay due to ill heath, and here's hoping success in your being fairly treated. People get ill, yet the forum is full of examples of DCAs et al seeing this as a reason to push harder on a vulnerable person.

Even if a consumer attempted to insure themselves against financial worries, look at the quality of the product that was sold to them.

Fortunately the tories prior to being elected had won votes with plans to address the bank charges fiasco, yet it was soon forgotten once the votes were cast, and many prime movers in that fiasco funded that party.

So I am with SWLABR9 on this one, as it was a small percentage of consumers who were idiots, and the remainder were victims of circumstance - but the majority of banks were lending money as if people were immune to unemployment, ill health, economic slumps, falls in house prices, injury, reduced hours of work, relationships ending, disability, pregnancy, needing to care for someone,.....

The banksters got paid on commission and they could sell on the risk so they didn't care how bad the loans were. That risk has ultimately wound up back with the taxpayers who took out these dodgy loans in the first place. The banks created the dodgy loans, got paid commission for doing so, profited from selling them on as securities, plus now they're being paid interest on these loans that should never have been made in the first place. The banks ought to be in clover. The taxpayer gets gipped twice over, once in that they're trying to pay back loans that were clearly predatory in nature and also because the banks aren't 'lending' into the economy at all everything's tanking so it's twice as hard for people to find the money to pay.