Fined for not displaying tax disc!!

hw26
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4331 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, back at the start of April I somehow lost my tax disc, or it was nicked. I applied for a replacement ASAP but I had to carry on driving my car as it is a vital part of my job, and was told if I couldnt come to work they would find somebody else to do my job for me. I got pulled one night and got an on the spot fine for 'failing to exhibit valid excise licence ve10), the copper told me the DVLA can impose a fine of upto £1000 but probably wouldnt do anything. The next morning my tax disc arrived in the post. A couple weeks down the line I get a letter from the police rescinding their ticket and about a week after I get a letter from the DVLA saying they are charging me £258 for an out of court settlement and if I didnt respond by today I would automatically get summoned to court :|

However in their letter the registration plate they gave was xxxxxx, mine is xxxxxxx, can I use this to get them off my back? I dont really know if I have a leg to stand on or whether I can fight them or should I just give up and pay the fine before this snowballs into something else?

Also helpfully I managed to put the DVLA letter in the washing machine.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated...

Edited by hw26

You need to write to DVLA with a copy of the letter you received from the police rescinding the ticket. This should put a stop to it.

If that fails you could legitimately use the reason you're not willing to pay is because you don't own the car with the registration they have stated.

I would edit your post and remove the reg numbers though.

I would think, that if the tax was paid... but not displayed because of either theft or loss of the disk; you applied for a replacement and was awaiting the replacement at the time of the offense. Its a "technical" offense in the sense, yes it was not displayed but for a reason that is plausable.

Also on the V20 form, it says nothing about not using the vehicle while awaiting a replacement.

Go to court and defend all the way bud.

Its a "technical" offense in the sense, yes it was not displayed but for a reason that is plausable.

Which is why the Police rescinded the ticket I would imagine.

I think the DVLA must be feeling the pinch.

I'd do as 2ltr says and defend all the way.

Yes send them a letter explaining why you do not believe you are liable to pay the fine and enclose a copy of the letter from the police.

Also include any reference from the letter they sent you (if you haven't washed it off completely) :roll:

Yes send them a letter explaining why you do not believe you are liable to pay the fine and enclose a copy of the letter from the police.

Also include any reference from the letter they sent you (if you haven't washed it off completely) :roll:

dvla seems to run in fleece mode now as i am returning from their office on the train now.

Submitted a sorn for a car i planned to fix up or use for parts thats been mine for years. Weirdly they have my old address on it (for its 3rd sorn) and want £25 to issue an up to date ownership at the address i have used for the car for years. 'New addressed ownership docs are only free for two months' - i wonder if thats statute or suckering.

I am sure I have a cert of posting for it too. They also said a tax disk they failed to return cash on I had used for a stint in the UK in 2008 was too old to chase now too.

So i went in owed money and left 'owing'. They did issue a leaflet how to complain when I told them I dont pay for their errors.

Yet again

dvla seems to run in fleece mode now as i am returning from their office on the train now.

Submitted a sorn for a car i planned to fix up or use for parts thats been mine for years. Weirdly they have my old address on it (for its 3rd sorn) and want £25 to issue an up to date ownership at the address i have used for the car for years. 'New addressed ownership docs are only free for two months' - i wonder if thats statute or suckering.

I am sure I have a cert of posting for it too. They also said a tax disk they failed to return cash on I had used for a stint in the UK in 2008 was too old to chase now too.

So i went in owed money and left 'owing'. They did issue a leaflet how to complain when I told them I dont pay for their errors.

Yet again

However in their letter the registration plate they gave was xxxxxx, mine is xxxxxxx, can I use this to get them off my back? I dont really know if I have a leg to stand on or whether I can fight them or should I just give up and pay the fine before this snowballs into something else?

Failure to display is a police matter, their normal procedure is to deal with the motorist for that offence and then send a report to DVLA who may then take action if the vehicle is not licenced.

Have you, or ever had, any connection with the registration mark DVLA have quoted? if not it may be that DVLA were given the wrong one, or it is one of the numerous mistakes that DVLA make.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a letter through this morning from dvla quoting the same wrong registration number and informing me they are preparing the case for court. I will receive a summons soon. I cant afford to go to court and dont really want to, ive never been before. Should I send them a photocopy of the letter I received from the police now?

The police were dealing with the offence of failing to display a licence, if the offence that DVLA are claiming is that of using or keeping an un-licensed vehicle, the letter from the police will not help as it is a different matter.

If you haven't done it already, write to DVLA to say that you have vehicle XXXXXXX, (enclose a copy of the licence) and have no knowledge of vehicle YYYYYY, and have never been the keeper or user of it.