Returned faulty item but store say they can't find a fault

majica8
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4344 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I purchased a PC power supply just before Christmas, after upgrading my graphics card 2 months ago I uncovered a fault with the power supply where the fan would constantly run at full speed when I played games. I did some research and discovered that this was a known problem with this power supply.

I was originally going to send it back to the manufacturer as they indicated that they would be happy to swap it, however their only European returns center was in the Netherlands and it was going to cost me £30+ to send it. So I went to the website that sold it to me and filed for an RMA. I sent the power supply back and they quickly informed me that they had found no fault. (I mean quickly, within 2 hours of them acknowledging that they had recieved the PSU in the first place) So I said I wasn't happy with this and asked exactly how they tested it. They replied stating they would test it for longer and get back to me. They did the next day and said they still couldn't find a fault so I asked again exactly how they were testing it. Despite telling them exactly what I'm using in my PC, they said they tested it with components that were using about 150-200W LESS power than what I'm using. This is a fault that only occurs when the PSU is close to full load, they were testing it under half load.

I was unable to resolve this issue before going on holiday for 3 weeks. After getting back on Saturday I e-mailed asking for any updates. They just replied stating that they had tested it on several setups, sometimes for 24-48 hours (but didn't say exactly what the setups were, so I have no idea if they are close to what I'm actually using) and to contact the returns department to arrange for me to pay for the testing and return of the PSU.

I have just replied again, asking them why they think I would return a perfectly good PSU, and for them to say EXACTLY what setups they tested it with. I can see myself going round and round in circles with them though so I need some advice:

If they either don't say exactly how they tested it, or they do but it's not with a setup that is comparable to my own, can they legally ask me to pay for the testing and return?

What happens in a "my word against theirs" situation? I need my PC for work, I am now without work and money (so couldn't pay for the testing or return anyway), I have no reason to lie about the PSU being faulty, it's not caused by anything else in my PC, and it's a known fault with that PSU.

This has been more touble than it's worth and I just want my PC back now.

not really a my word against theirs. if you have the evidence its a manufacture fault. that's all you need under the sale of goods act and if the makers are happy to exchange it then the supplier is obliged to exchange it no questions asked.

show them your evidence inform them that if you deal direct with the makers you will invoicing them for all costs

:???: what me. never heard of you never had a debt with you.

I have sent them evidence, they still won't budge. I sent them links to the official forum of the manufacturer (several links in fact) They all had people explaining the problem (the same one I have) and they all have someone who works for the company saying they are happy to replace any PSUs with the fault.

Do you happen to have the part of the SoGA that says this? Thanks