minor bump in private car park

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4343 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Is this an offence, friend was turning in a private car park, bumped into parked car, no real damage as only doing few mph, now been tyold it should have been reported to the police, and an offence of driving without due care and failing to report an accident, is this right as they thought it was so minor there was no need?

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

I thought you only had to report it if there were injuries or damage to say road furniture etc...

Ive been in a few prangs in my time and never reported it to the police? Its just gone through the insurance if it needed to be declared.

Is this an offence, friend was turning in a private car park, bumped into parked car, no real damage as only doing few mph, now been tyold it should have been reported to the police, and an offence of driving without due care and failing to report an accident, is this right as they thought it was so minor there was no need?

I personally, would have left my personal details on the car, and taken a pic of area bumped just to cover your back in case of possible claim. The reason being, I have a friend who did the same thing, only a minor scratch, but drove off saying nothing. A short while after, they were contacted by the police, as the incident had been witnessed by somebody, resulting in a fine for driving off without leaving details.

Not saying that would happen to you, but you never know who is watching.

Yes, if you're involved in an accident causes damage - even minor damage - you have an obligation to stop and give your details to the other driver, or anyone else with reasonable cause to request them. If that's not practical (eg because the other car is parked and the owner isn't around) you have to report the accident to the police as soon as possible, and certainly within 24 hours. Leaving a note under the windscreen wiper isn't sufficient - it might blow away after all. Failure to stop or report is punishable (in theory - if you seriously injure someone and then flee the scene to avoid a breath test) by 6 months in prison or (more likely for a minor shunt) a fine and points. The relevant law is here - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/170 (NB a private car park is still a public place if the public have access to it).

Hitting a stationary car probably meets the definition of careless driving, though in general the police have better things to do than prosecute over minor car park bumps and will normally leave it to the insurers to sort out, provided details are exchanged.

My friend has since written to the owners of the car park saying that he may have bumped a stationary car if so could they please forwrd the details so he give them to his insurance company, he hasnt got the reg of the car he bumped but as it was a private car park they will probably know who the car belonged to if there is any damage.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.