• Tweets

• I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver?   On this point - earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.   I don't clearly understand that, but their legal advice was something to do with the role a receiver has acting as an agent for a borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against a receiver ???.  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate application for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
    • so a new powerless B2B debt DCA set up less than a month ago with a 99% success rate... operating on a NWNF basis , but charging £30 to set up your use of them. that's gonna last 5mins.... = SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS. a DCA is NOT a BAILIFF and have  ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter WHAT its type. dx      
    • Migrants are caught in China's manufacturing battles with the West, as Beijing tries to save its economy.View the full article
    • You could send an SAR to DCbl on the pretext that you are going for a breach of your GDPR . They should then send the purported letter of discontinuance which may show why it ended up in Gloucester and see if you can get your  costs back on the day. It obviously won't be much but  at least perhaps a small recompense for your wasted day. Not exactly wasted since you had a great win  albeit much sweeter if you had beat them in Court. But a win is a win so well done. We will miss you as it has been almost two years since you first started out on this mission. { I would n't be surprised if the wrong Court was down to DCBL}. I see you said "till the next time" but I am guessing you will be avoiding private patrolled car parks for a while.🙂
    • It is extremely disappointing that you haven't told us anything about the result of the hearing. You came here at the very last minute and the regulars - all unpaid volunteers - sweated blood trying to get an acceptable Witness Statement prepared in an extremely short time. The least you could have done is tell us how the hearing went, information invaluable for future users. Evidently not.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Halifax CC charges- **REFUNDED SATISFACTORILY**but left default

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3538 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If you type in "Letter before Action" or / and LBA, into the advanced search engine at the top of the screen you will find lots of examples.. however, I have posted a few links of examples and information in order for you to perhaps prepare your own.. below for you.

You should amend to suit your particular circumstances.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?554-Letter-Before-Action-LBA

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?350461-Letter-Before-Action&highlight=Letter+before+Action+LBA

You could of course simplify/amend your letter in post # 40 and resend that, but head it Letter before Action.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i have looked around and excuse me but i am unable to seek anything. I will go ahead and modify the letter i used in post #40 of this thread but i am unsure as to what to remove or add in, please help.

many Thanks

I will have a read around. I do think Halifax are in the wrong for applying these £12 feees as at times i wasn't even in full time employment plus i had rent and other payments to make 1st. If i do go ahead with the 'letter before action' then were can i find one please ??

Responding to S.O.S.

You should think very carefully about taking court action against the Halifax - you might want to take the more long winded route via the Financial Ombudsman.

My understanding of the letter from the Halifax is that they are suggesting that your account has had default charges added from the opening of it and they will almost certainly portray you as a "serial defaulter" if they submit a defence.

However, if this is untrue and you had made them aware of your financial hiccup, and they still continued to add the charges then you might have some further ammunition to add to your claim.

Anyway.. with regards to your LBA..

All you are doing is letting Halifax know that you are not happy with their latest response and that you will now be issuing a claim in order to obtain your money.

Your intention is to issue a claim within 7/14 days without further contact with them.

So something along the following lines..

Dear Sir or Madam,

Reference numbers

Letter before Action

I am in receipt of your letter dated XXXX.

Your response is not satisfactory and this letter is simply a courtesy to advise that I will be issuing a claim through the county court within 7/14 days from the date of this letter.

Yours faithfully,

etc, etc.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

You might want to think about what you intend to say on your claim form (Particulars of Claim) in order to convince a judge that Halifax are wrong and that you are entitled to have those charges refunded !

BEFORE sending the LBA out.

BCOBS

My understanding of the letter from the Halifax is that they are suggesting that your account has had default charges added from the opening of it and they will almost certainly portray you as a "serial defaulter" if they submit a defence.

However, if this is untrue and you had made them aware of your financial hiccup, and they still continued to add the charges then you might have some further ammunition to add to your claim

This is what is confusing me, in the letter Halifax sent me yesterday they said ''Looking at our records, I can see you have defaulted on your account since it was opened ''

Well looking back at the statements from the day the acc was opened which was May 2008, the first late fee charge of £12 didnt happen till Sep 2008, in between those months i was keeping up to date with payments.

The choice is yours.

You either pursue your claim or you don't.

Unfortunately no one can make that decision for you.

Maybe get involved in a lot of reading and research around CAG. Getting up to speed may help your decision as to how to proceed.

This is what is confusing me, in the letter Halifax sent me yesterday they said ''Looking at our records, I can see you have defaulted on your account since it was opened ''

Well looking back at the statements from the day the acc was opened which was May 2008, the first late fee charge of £12 didnt happen till Sep 2008, in between those months i was keeping up to date with payments.

6 months.. I would reckon that they could legitimately claim that it was from the early part of the account :(

Do you have a reason for the late payments (which you advised to Halifax?) Perhaps your salary was going in later, did you ask if you could change the payment date?

BCOBS

6 months.. I would reckon that they could legitimately claim that it was from the early part of the account :(

Do you have a reason for the late payments (which you advised to Halifax?) Perhaps your salary was going in later, did you ask if you could change the payment date?

Yes i did advise Halifax that i was in part time employment and that wages/payments go into my normal bank acc at random times over the month. I did try and suggest other payment dates as to match days when i had funds available but i was still charged late and overlimit fees

Yes i did advise Halifax that i was in part time employment and that wages/payments go into my normal bank acc at random times over the month. I did try and suggest other payment dates as to match days when i had funds available but i was still charged late and overlimit fees

Fair enough, I am pretty certain that this would come under not Treating you Fairly. Having made them aware of the situation and asked for a different payment date that would have avoided these charges, they refused and embarked on a profit making excercise.

BCOBS

Perhaps a final letter to Halifax, something along the lines of..

Dear Sir or Madam (or name of person on last letter)

Reference numbers

I am extremely disappointed to receive your refusal to refund charges that have largely been applied to your not Treating me Fairly.

You point out that the account has been in default from DATE. However, I did write to you/contact you at that time and ask for a different payment date due to changes in the way my salary was paid.

You refused to do this, which immediately pitched me into a cycle of charges and interest on those charges which it has been impossible for me to rise above.

I believe that it was this lack of co-operation on the bank's part that has caused this situation.

I therefore request one last time, please refund these charges.

I look forward to hearing from you within 14 days from the date of this letter. Failing which, I will take my complaint to the Financial Ombudsman.

Yours etc, etc.

HTH

BCOBS

That letter you drafted is great, thanks. Ill update it with my details and send it off today. Ill let ya know when i get my reply. Many thanks again to you for your time and help :-D

You are welcome :)

BCOBS

Quick Question:

I found out on the 23rd May that the PPI Claim i made against this card was £xxx.xx and that within 28 days i will get a cheque,

on the same day (23rd May) i made a call to the PPI Claims Department saying that i would not like the cheque to be used against the outstanding balance on the card.

today i make call to find out any updates as i have not recieved my cheque.

I now find out the the amount is going to be staying on the card without me agreeing to this

even though i made a call stating i wanted the amount/cheque to be sent to me as agreed to in the letter i got and not to be paid of the cards balance.

What should i do ??

They can only apply the refund to genuine arrears.

BCOBS

http://m.dailymail.co.uk/money/cardsloans/article-2158352/Banks-siphon-refunds-owed-PPI-victims-square-unpaid-debts.html

It might actually look as though you wont.. have a read of the article above.

BCOBS

Well thats not good, as i you know i have sent letters off for the late fee/overlimit charges to be refunded so therefore didnt want this PPI Claim to be also taken off the balance as i wanted to know the final outcome of the late fee/overlimit refund answer first.

So is there anything i can do ??

I suggest you wait for someone like ims21 to look in on you - see if he has any ideas :(

BCOBS