H Samuel - advice needed please! ****Resolved****

josie777
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4283 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone!

I would like some advice please about my current situation.

My fiancee purchased my engagement ring (that I chose!) at H Samuel.

I wore it for three months and had treated it really carefully. I noticed that one of the stones had fallen out.

We went back to the store and it got sent away to their QC department. It came back with an accidental damage verdict and was told that I was liable to get the stone replaced.

I was absolutely devastated and spoke to the manager about a refund as I had little confidence in the ring and was really upset that something had happened to it in such a small time frame.

This had little efffect so I took my ring to another jeweller to see what their verdict was. To my dismay, they told me that there were a multiple of flaws in the ring - another stone was loose, the ring had evidence of stretching which had in turn weakened it, the claws had no evidence of having been bent so the diamond shouldn't have fallen out and the diamonds were all of different qualities and sizes.

Totally gutted by this additional information, I wrote to the head office and asked for a refund as I had no confidence in the ring.

I recieved a letter back confirming recept of the ring and was told that they were looking into it.

About a week later I received my ring back with a letter saying that as it was accidental damage there was nothing that they would do.

They hadn't even had the ring evaluated for the rest of the flaws nor had they rechecked the original problem. In short they had done nothing other than attach a copy of the orignal quality control report.

It is a ring that my fiancee paid over £1200 for (in fact he is still paying for it which really upsets me more!)

I looked after the ring - in fact was paranoid about it because it is the most expensive piece of jewellery I have ever owned!

I have found someone who will appraise my ring and produce a written report so this is my next step.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on my next step - shall I write back to them when I get the report or shall I just proceed with small claims? Has anyone else been in this position? I am so frustrated!!!

Thank you in advance :)

Edited by citizenB
spacing for easier reading

Hi josie

Welcome to CAG

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint mark it as such, explain whats happened, how you have been let down and what you want them to do. You've been to an independent jeweller, see if they can do a Report that you can send with the letter, send some pics as well. Send it Recorded.

Have a read of 10,12 and 13 in my signature SOGA.

Send it to:-

Mike Barnes

Chief Executive

Signet Group Limited

15 Golden Square

London W1F 9JG

You might need to check that address is correct.

Some tips :- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1242161/How--write-letter-complaint.html

If your fiance paid by credit card, do a charge back, as product faulty and retailer refuses to refund.

What amazes me about buying diamonds or other precious gemstones in rings is people do not query or look at the quality of what they are buying!

Stones are all graded as to clarity, occlusions, colour, cut, carat weight etc. and you should ask for its certificate or appraisal before buying so you judge the value of what you are purchasing.

My advice is never buy a gemstone without a certificate to back up what you are buying.

Wow thanks for your replies.

rebel11 - I have already written a formal letter of complaint and received nothing in return - I did it exactly as you said recorded etc!

I am in the process of obtaining a written report - I will post the verdicts when I receive them!

raydetinu - oh hindsight is a marvellous thing huh! I know I have been naive and am kicking myself repeatedly. We were fairly limited in our choices as the ring had to go on 0% and I was the fool that saw the ring and loved it! :(

So, the ring has been purchased through Santander - 0% finance and we have been paying since November. I haven't worn the ring since March!! Great idea but sadly won't work.

Can I claim thorugh them at all??

Thanks again people you are brill! :)

just a couple of questions -

1. Shall I wait until the written report to write back to them?

2. Shall I not write to them and just use the report to launch small claims?

How many chances do I give them??

Hi josie

When you wrote to them did you address it to the CEO? Did you quote SOGA? I would be tempted to write a final letter, so it's a LBA (Letter Before Action), basically if they don't resolve the matter then you will take them to the Small Claims Court. I would be tempted to wait for the Report. The more communication you have with them will

demonstrate that you tired everything to resolve the matter and court was the last option.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/sale-of-goods/understanding-the-sale-of-goods-act/sample-letters/

Wow thanks for your replies.

rebel11 - I have already written a formal letter of complaint and received nothing in return - I did it exactly as you said recorded etc!

I am in the process of obtaining a written report - I will post the verdicts when I receive them!

raydetinu - oh hindsight is a marvellous thing huh! I know I have been naive and am kicking myself repeatedly. We were fairly limited in our choices as the ring had to go on 0% and I was the fool that saw the ring and loved it! :(

So, the ring has been purchased through Santander - 0% finance and we have been paying since November. I haven't worn the ring since March!! Great idea but sadly won't work.

Can I claim thorugh them at all??

Thanks again people you are brill! :)

just a couple of questions -

1. Shall I wait until the written report to write back to them?

2. Shall I not write to them and just use the report to launch small claims?

How many chances do I give them??

Hi

Yes I did address it to the CEO and I did quote the Sales of goods act - fit for purpose for a reasonable amount of time. - I would copy and paste my letter but it's fairly long for forums!!

I am thinking that I need to have concrete written evidence of further flaws before I write another letter - more ammunition!! The flaws found were from two jewellers but I have nothing in writing. I get your point about the level of correspondance...

Perhaps I should write them a letter thanking them for the receipt of my ring and lack of action on their behalf and explain to them that it is currently being assessed by someone in the Association of Jewellery Appraisers and that a written report is forthcoming?

Cheers!

I am going to go as far as I can with this!!!

Don't write until you get the report, then send some pics, the report and the LBA.

Hi

Yes I did address it to the CEO and I did quote the Sales of goods act - fit for purpose for a reasonable amount of time. - I would copy and paste my letter but it's fairly long for forums!!

I am thinking that I need to have concrete written evidence of further flaws before I write another letter - more ammunition!! The flaws found were from two jewellers but I have nothing in writing. I get your point about the level of correspondance...

Perhaps I should write them a letter thanking them for the receipt of my ring and lack of action on their behalf and explain to them that it is currently being assessed by someone in the Association of Jewellery Appraisers and that a written report is forthcoming?

Cheers!

I am going to go as far as I can with this!!!

report will be the key to getting action resolved quickly and if damming will help your court case if it goes that far.

Good luck.

Naivety is what keeps most high street jewellers going.

Hi Josie

We're sorry to hear that you have been disappointed with your ring and would like to offer assistance

Once you have received the independent report, please send it with the ring to our Customer Services Manager, Jenny Mellor, H Samuel, Hunters Road, Hockley, Birmingham, B19 1DS and she will review your complaint in light of the findings.

• 4 weeks later...

Hope things will now be resolved for you, josie :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I have tried to mail you but am unable to :(

I will post futher once I have sent the report to H Samuel

Sorry to keep you in suspense!

If you mail me can I reply or do I still have to had posted 15 times???

Josie, who were you intending to mail ? No - you cannot private message anyone until you have a certain amount of posts. You can contact Site team or admin that way though.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I was going to reply privately to raytendu's post only because I don't want the information on the public thread just yet that's all :)

He will just have to wait lol :)

oops I've just realised that I've spelled his name incorrectly - sorry!!

Righto.. I am sure he wont mind that you have spelt his name incorrectly :)

I thought you might have been attempting to pm the H Samuel rep.. :)

BCOBS