• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

beatsurrender v yorkshire bank**WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6257 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Beatsurrender

This sounds very familiar to my case , YB decided I had cashed the cheque (even after I sent them a letter refusing their offer of a full settlement and still to this day having the cheque in my possession) , it sounds like another attempt to get the judge to strike the case out due to some dubious reason from the YB Legal Team( I use the title loosely as incompitent Di***eads is more apt)

Michael sorry I think you misread the last post....... It is the YB that hasn`t returned their AQ ,according to Beatsurrender he sent his in December 1st

Contact the court as soon as you can and ask for an update . Don`t assume that if the YB doesn`t enter an AQ by the 2nd you have it nailed .The courts have been pretty flexible on deadlines , much to everyones disgust, so don`t book that holiday to Barbados yet(or the fiesta Caro;))

Keep us informed

Jules

• Haha 1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi everyone i rang the court to today to see if the yorkshire

+ankers have filed their questionaire the good lady said not yet that was at 2 pm courts were closed at 4 after i got home what do i need to do sit and wait i notice that jules says contact the court which i will do tommor 9 pm what happens if they strike out ? i beat the halifax im not lettin these lot get away with all my hard work i put in were do i go from here ?

letter from court arrived judgement by default sayin they have not replied to the claim form does this mean i win by default or do they have any more tricks up there sleeves ? not bothered if they have as i set my heart on em turnin up in court and giving them a nice surprise !

letter recieved today saying i refer to the the above claim that you have raised against the bank in which judgement in default has been entered . we are makin an application to set aside the judgement . judgement in default came to be entered because of an administrative error within the bank .

in order to save the courts time and minimise the costs of the court listing the matter for a hearing , please confirm by fri the 12th jan that you will consent to judgement being set aside .

please note that we will refer the court to this correspondence should you refuse to provide your consent .

you should take independent legal advice or contact your local cab if you are unclear on any terms on this letter .

so what is the next step i take i think they had long enuff to find this so called admin error are they just playin for time ?

They made an error and now they want to you to help em out of it! The arrogance and cheek of this bunch is unbelievable.If it was me I would ask for payment in full immediately or you will insist the judgement is enforced and they can have a CCJ recorded against them.They had time to defend and through their own incompetence they failed.Sorry they missed the deadline,but thats the rules of the game.They lose

;) If this helps please click the scales bottom left

letter recieved today saying i refer to the the above claim that you have raised against the bank in which judgement in default has been entered . we are makin an application to set aside the judgement . judgement in default came to be entered because of an administrative error within the bank .

in order to save the courts time and minimise the costs of the court listing the matter for a hearing , please confirm by fri the 12th jan that you will consent to judgement being set aside .

please note that we will refer the court to this correspondence should you refuse to provide your consent .

you should take independent legal advice or contact your local cab if you are unclear on any terms on this letter .

so what is the next step i take i think they had long enuff to find this so called admin error are they just playin for time ?

As I understand it you will need a good reason not to agree. The courts try to resolve in court rather than a default judgement. We both know it wont see the inside of a court. They are abusing the system, however my advice is to agree to the request if you dont they will apply to the judge who will more than likely grant the set aside.

are there any letters i could type up to make them realise they had long enuff to settle this ? If it was me I would ask for payment in full immediately or you will insist the judgement is enforced and they can have a CCJ recorded against them.They had time to defend and through their own incompetence they failed. how can i make this sound less threatening ?

Sadly it seems that threats are the only things that this bunch seem to understand.One thing they wont like is bad publicity.I cant see the point in having judgement by default if the banks can just ignore it or have it set aside.To add insult to injury they want you to help them out as well.The only way I would agree is if they settle the claim.

;) If this helps please click the scales bottom left

If you disagree to the set aside they will apply to the court and will get one. The difficulty here is that if you do disagree it can take months before the makes its decision and they will therefore drag things out even longer. The best thing to do is agree as this will resolve things quicker and demonstrate to the court that you are acting reasonably.

I know its perhaps not the course you wanted to take, but it will work better for you in the long run.

All the best

Zoot

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

today recieved a hearing for the 22nd feb at 3-15 at mansfield court . is this the final hurdle i want to face them in court and let them explain their actions to the judge . i have all the relevant paperwork but was wondering if i needed to ask any specific question s any help would be greatly appreciated i come this far no turning back now .

So YB have applied for a set aside without a hearing and the court have decided to have a hearing before granting the application, what else does it say on your paper work and have you got to send in your court bundle. Sound to me that just lately the courts are taking a harder line with the banks. Perhaps a Mod will have some thoughts on this.

Regards Moss

• 3 weeks later...

recieved letter today saying yorkshire have today 29-01-07 filed an application to set aside judgemnt offering me my charges and my court costs but no interest which totals 521£ and my 8% from 1st nov 2006 totalling 92£ so all together 613£ short of what i require any letters i can send to say thanks but no thanks i require the full amount ?

it states that this offer is in full and final settlement any liability for tax on the interest awarded is included within the sum offered , and you are oblidged to account to HMRC direct for any tax due ?

Hi, i sent this adapt it to suit

Ms K Ross

Legal Services

40 St. Vincent Place

Glasgow

G1 2HL

Dear Ms Ross

Thank you for your recent letter dated 2xxth Jan, offering £xxxxx.xx. I must inform you that I do not find this offer acceptable,

As outlined in my earlier correspondence I explained that the charges you have applied to my account are contrary to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. Further or in the alternative, I believed that your charges are a Penalty. Penalty charges are irrecoverable at common law.

In my original letters I informed you that I would start legal proceedings within 14 days if you did not respond positively and as a claim in the county court is now underway interest pursuant to S69 of the county courts act 1984 at the rate of 8% per annum totalling £xxx has been added and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment at a daily rate of xx pence bringing the sum claimed as of today to £xxxx

I would be willing to withdraw my claim upon receipt of an unconditional full settlement of my claim and will notify the court accordingly at that time.

To stop any further costs being incurred it is in your best interest to refund in full the balance to date forthwith.

Yours Faithfully.

Beatsurrender

Upon the parties having agreed terms of settlement set forth in the schedule attached here to

By Consent

It is ordered that:

1 The judgment dated 15th December 2006 in the sum of £+++ against defendant is set aside

2 The defendants application dated 4th January 2007 to set aside the judgement is withdrawn

3 All further proceedings in this action to be stayed exept for the purpose of carrying such terms into effect

4 Permission to apply to carry such terms into effect

5 There be no order as to costs of this application or in the case, and neither party shall enforce against the other any outstanding orders made in this case

then just the usual signatures blah blah blah,

1. the defendent agrees to pay the claimant within 7 days of the date of this order the sum of £1585.04 ( no mention of court costs )

2. the parties agree that the consideration set out in paragraph1 above shall be in full and final settlement of the case. and of all claims , rights, actions and causes of action (including claims for interest and costs ) either party may have against the other arising out of or in connection with any issue pleaded in the case .

can any one help should i sign it ?

letter recieved this morning .the order now contains the following

i note in your letter that the tomlin order does not state the settelement, however has reference to the attached schedule . the tomlin order and the attached schedule are one document as a whole and will be submitted to court together .

once the court has recieved your signefd order the judge will sign it and we we will take instructions from the court to send the cheque to you .

this cannot be done until both parties have signed the order .

whilst the bank remains confident of its defence, the cost of defending your claim will quickly become disproportionate to the sum claimed .

for this reason only the bank is prepared to settle your claim for the sum of £1858.04 ( which is what i am happy with ) in full and final settlemant of your claim and the banks counterclaim against you .

the tomlin order has the correct amount on this time as i queried it on the the schedule . can i now sign both the tomlin order and the banks letter ?