Hello can anybody lend a hand and offer some advice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4322 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Right I have a debt of about £4000, I know it doesn't sound an awful lot but it's causing me a great deal of hassle. The debt is made up of things like my mobile phone bill which has accumulated since xmas - I haven't been able to pay it, my bank account is past its overdraft - I'm being charged monthly and they're requesting that I pay back the student overdraft which they lent to me several years ago.

I am unemployed, I am a part time student, I'm not eligible for any benefits as my gf earns an amount which is deemed to be over the threshold and as such I don't have an income. My gf doesn't have much of a disposable income and is only able to offer my debtors one-off token payments.

I've been thinking about filing for bankruptcy - would that help? Or would that be ridiculous as the debt is only £4,000? If I was to file for bankruptcy would my girlfriends assets be taken from her? Would it affect her credit rating or hinder her in any way, shape or form? The reason I ask is because we live together and she owns lots of expensive things and as I've been in university for almost 7 years, I don't own that many expensive things.

Bankruptcy aside, are there any ways that I can make the debtors stop pestering me until I am able to find a job? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

NSNO

no way not worth it

there are easy ways to manage your debts

firstly please list them

just remember its your money

you control it

not some muppet dca !

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Tedted,

Not worth doing Bankruptcy or a DRO for basically £4,000.

As you are unemployed and also a part-time student, £1 per calender month to each of your creditors, yes they will kick and scream, threaten you with CCJ etc. but that's just tough on their part.

Even if it went to Court, in your position, a Judge would only award you to pay £1 pcm.

You need to contact either the Citizens Advice Bureau, CCCS or National Debt Line for advice on what is best for your individual circumstances.

As to DCA's contacting you regarding your debts, yes they will, just stay off the telephone to them and keep everything in writing if you feel you must contact them, otherwise just ignore as without owning the debt they have no legal powers.

Stigman

Edited by Stigman
missed a bit

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you