Mike Walsh

Am I liable for towing costs?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2706 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi I bought a second hand car on Sunday (Ford Focus, 77K miles on clock for £3.5K) from a reputable car supermarket. However, it wouldn't start last night (Weds). I called my breakdown cover who examined the car and said there had been a problem with the electronics that had caused the immobilser to stop sending fuel to the spark plugs. He showed me the plugs and said the fact that they were completely dry with a bit of rust on them indicated that it was a fault that existed before I bought it. The garage were clear that I had a 3 month warranty. However, my wife spoke to the car supermarket today and they are happy to have a look at it but they say it's my responsibility (and cost) to have it towed to them (around 25 miles at a cost of around £70). Do I have any right to expect the garage to foot the bill for the towing cost based on the fact that it was an existing fault and I've only driven it once? Thanks

Hi and welcome to CAG

If it turns out to be an existing fault and due ti the short time in it breaking since purchase, I would say that the seller is responsible for your 'consequential losses'. I would be giving them the option of collecting the car or paying to have it taken to them.

I reckon if you took the matter to court, the judge would award you the towing costs.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Deleted duplicate post

Edited by sailor sam

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.