Express Insurance canceling my car insurance cause my provisional licence has old name on it

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4348 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just decided to learn to drive.

4 weeks ago my husband bought me a car. I put the insurance In my name and put my husband as a second driver. My husband said it was best to do it this way so I can build up my own no claims discount. As he has his own car and will only use my car occasionally and gets no claims bonus for him self on his car.

Any way a week after taking out insurance, I received paper work and a letter asking me to supply a copy of my provisional driving license and my husbands licence. I thought no problem but when I got my drivers license out that ive had for years. I realized that It still had my old name and address from before I got married.

I emailed a copy of my husbands driving license I then went to post office and got a form to apply for a new Provisional drivers license. I also contacted insurance company to explain. They said no problem just send us a copy when you receive new license. So I sent my old driving license off with form to apply for new license.

But since then I have received letter after letter and emails demanding I send a copy of driving license. I have phoned them up twice this week to explain the situation, I even offered to email a copy of my old Provisional driving license as I had made a photocopy before sending, and marriage certificate, and copy of passport if needed. and each time they said don't worry just send us a copy when you receive new one.

Today I received a letter saying my insurance has been cancelled due to not supplying copy of driving license. I now don't know what to do. I am still waiting for new license to arrive.

Can they do this can they cancel my insurance. Is there any thing I can do. I cant afford to have my insurance cancelled as it will make it really hard for me to get insurance any where else. ill be UN insurable. any advice would be much appreciated

thanks in advance

Make a complaint to the Insurers. What they should have asked you to do, is send them a copy of your provisional licence, a copy of your marriage cert and something showing you at the new address, plus a letter just explaining the situation. If they have done that, then you would not have got to this situation.

In regard to cancellation, this is not something you would need to disclose in future. When Insurers ask on proposals about whether you have had Insurance refused or cancelled, they really mean cases of non disclosure, fraud, making too many claims. Not cancellation due to missed premium payments or documents not being received.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi thanks for your replies so far. The insurance company is Express Insurance. As said above I have offered to email a copy of old driving license, marriage certificate and even passport plus a bill showing new address on but they kept saying no. Its OK just send us a copy of new provisional license when you get it.

Make a complaint to the Insurers. What they should have asked you to do, is send them a copy of your provisional licence, a copy of your marriage cert and something showing you at the new address, plus a letter just explaining the situation. If they have done that, then you would not have got to this situation.

In regard to cancellation, this is not something you would need to disclose in future. When Insurers ask on proposals about whether you have had Insurance refused or cancelled, they really mean cases of non disclosure, fraud, making too many claims. Not cancellation due to missed premium payments or documents not being received.

Do you have anything to back this up that can be relied upon if it was called in to question? If the question "Have you ever had insurance cancelled" is asked, the answer has to be "Yes"... anything else can be construed as non-disclosure.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for your replies. The insurance company was Express Insurance. I sent a letter of complaint last week, I have also sent and emailed copies of my old driving provisional license, Marriage certificate, bill with current address and a copy of passport even though they said no just in case. I have heard nothing so far. But when I checked my bank account today I discovered that they had still taken money today. The same amount as I should be paying monthly. So if my insurance is cancelled why are they still taking money. I am really confused. I really need to know whether I have insurance or not as we really need to use car. My husbands car has broken down and we have hospital appointments to get to on Thursday and Friday. We don't want to use car if there is no insurance. What should I do. I have received no letters nothing. Just one at the beginning of last week saying that my insurance was cancelled in 7 days. It stated nothing about them taken more money or any thing.

any advice much appreciated

thanks in advance

Have you checked askmid to see if it is showing as Insured ?

http://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

If when you add the reg no. it shows as being insured, then you are ok to drive. If it is not shown, then you need to get onto Express Insurance to find out what they are playing at.

In reply to TSx about the non disclosure issue, this is not written down anywhere. This is just decades of working in the industry. Pretty commonsense that if you have done nothing wrong and it is just a cancellation due to payment issues or problems in Insurers receiving a document within their timescale, that this does not represent an issue that affects Insurers decision on the risk.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi,

I have just gone on to website you stated above and typed in my cars registration number and it says the car is insured. So should it be OK to drive the car. Ill check again tomorrow and Thursday to make sure.

Thanks

• dx100uk changed the title to Express Insurance canceling my car insurance cause my provisional licence has old name on it