Capquest Called Me At Work

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4360 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

First of all, sorry if I ask something here that has been asked hundreds of times. I know what that's like.

I'm looking for a bit of advice. CapQuest called my work today (actually my colleagues phone behind me) - I've no idea how they got the number there are literally thousands of phones in our site.

I briefly spoke with the loud lady - I didn't identify myself by name though my work colleague had passed the phone over after she asked for me so there's that. She identified herself and I duly informed her she was calling a works phone and that I couldn't help her. She said she'd call back later and we both hung up.

This came as a bit of a shock - they have been calling my works mobile, but I'd done a quick internet search on the number and used my Blackberry to flag it as spam - but I was taken aback about them contacting me at work.

As I did not speak with her for long or ask any information I can't say for certain why they were after me. I've had the odd letter over the past few years for a small amount of money which I think goes back to a mobile phone contact I had and defaulted on approximately seven years ago, which I've ignored to be honest.

I'd like to know a few things if possible please:

1> Can they legally call a works phone? Despite being disruptive, it's embarrassing.

2> Can they still chase me after all this time? My understanding is it's six years and that's it - but is it six years since I cancelled my direct debit to O2, or six years since CapQuest received the debt?

3> What do I say when they ring up next, because I suspect they'll just keep calling and I can't block them from all the works landlines?

4> If I query the debt, is this acknowledgement and does it open me up to further problems?

5> I doubt I can but could I call the police for harassment?

6> Can I request, again without causing more grief for myself, information on where they got my phone number at work? Literally no-one other than Government organisations and internal staff have the number.

Sorry to be so demanding I'm somewhat concerned.

Thanks

Phil

No, they should not be calling you at work - it amounts to intimidation - embarrassment and harassment.

But - how did they get your works number. Did you put your employer's details on an application for anything - perhaps for identification!!

If the debt has neither been paid or acknowledged for more than 6 years or 5 years in Scotland then it is statute barred in any case.

There is a SB letter in the CAG library, which is linked at the top of each screen that you could send to them.

Many DCAs will argue that limitation accrues from the time when the "default notice" is issued. It does not.

Limitation clock starts ticking from when the payment is due and not paid not when they send a default notice.

We see often that CRA entries will date 5 or 6 months ahead of when the payment was missed.

People need to be sure that they aren’t being hoodwinked and that the DCA is extending limitation so they can sue when they are not allowed to.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi Welcome to CAG.

Q1. NO

Q2.Yes they can chase a debt after 6 years, the criteria concerning

stat barring of debt is ''there must have been 6 clear years with no

payment or written acknowledgment of the debt

The OFT Gudance on Debt Collection 2003/2011 states that they

consider it UNFAIR to pursue for payment of SB debt once

''The debtor has informed the creditor in writting that the debt is

SB and they will not be paying''

Q3. If they phone again state clearly you will only deal with the matter

in writting, and that contacting your work place after this breaches the

OFT Guidance regarding contacting alleged debtors and you will report

their conduct.

Q4. Telephone contact will not reset the SB clock, BUT DO NOT GET INTO

CONVERSATION WITH THEM!!

Q5. No point!!

Q6.You can ask but I doubt they will answer.

Use the telephone harassment letter from the CAG Library

(green tab to left this page) address the letter to the compliance

manager. Send Recorded delivery.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide: