Super market yellow box junctions et al

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4336 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Recently I found out that Super Market car parks are subject to the RTA, and you can be prosecuted for driving without due care and other offences.

What authority do green traffic signs , double yellow markings, yellow box junctions that are all over these car parks?

When and what is the authority for supermarket carparks being covered by the RTA?

The police can pursue certain moving traffic violations on land which has unrestricted public access (i.e. no barriers or gates). Drink driving and careless driving are just 2 examples.

So if drunk and locked out - and sleeping in my car in the flat's communal private unbarriered car park - I could be drunk in charge?

Does this also bomb out me letting the kids drive my car in the Tesco car park??!?!?!?!

So if drunk and locked out - and sleeping in my car in the flat's communal private unbarriered car park - I could be drunk in charge?

Does this also bomb out me letting the kids drive my car in the Tesco car park??!?!?!?!

Yes to both.

• Confused 1

Better just let the kids drive me home next time I'm sozzled then - its one less offence!!! :D:D:D

If they had no licence and you had, you would still get done for being in charge of a motor vehicle while over the prescribed limit.

I know - I was joking - and the one who likes driving most is 7 and in bed roughly 1000 miles away when I leave the pub!

I just need to get him a mobile and leave the taxi fare out for him! :D:D:D

Actually - its zero alcohol here to drive - and no one really seems to offend.

But if you are a lorry driver, and your employer has a no smoking rule, you cannot smoke, but if the vehicle has a sleeper cab, you can smoke in the cab when "off duty" because it is classed as your "home".

And as it's your home, you can drink in there, and they can't touch you!

Sam

All of these are on behalf of a friend.. Cabot - [There's no CCA!]

CapQuest - [There's no CCA!]

Barclays - Zinc, [There's no CCA!]

Robinson Way - Written off!

NatWest - Written off!

But if you are a lorry driver, and your employer has a no smoking rule, you cannot smoke, but if the vehicle has a sleeper cab, you can smoke in the cab when "off duty" because it is classed as your "home".

And as it's your home, you can drink in there, and they can't touch you!

Sam

Complete rubbish.

That link is the general definition of 'Road' - s. 192, Road Traffic Act 1998. Some sections - Drink & Drugs, Dangerous & Careless Driving, Insurance, Involved in Accidents etc. have the definition 'Road or other public place' in their own section. It is the 'or other public place' definition which can cover private car parks etc. even if they have barriers or gates. Supermarket car parks are a prime example.

It would seem it would also potentially prevent the owners of camper vans from going out for a drink then returning to sleep in their vehicle on a site.

Good question. The police do have a certain amount of discretion but their main focus would always be on preventing an potential offence taking place. If the vehicle is adapted to be also a 'dwelling' (i.e. has a proper sleeping facilities) and is parked in a situation where it indicates it positioned for the purposes of 'camping', then I doubt the police would be interested as you would have a defense in court. The view is that you are more likely to wake up in a car and drive while still over the limit than you are if you are in a vehicle designed to be slept in.

The offence is committed on a road or other public place, which in theory could include a campsite, however s. 4 (3), Road Traffic Act 1988 seems appropriate for that situation, 'a person shall be deemed not to have been in charge of a mechanically propelled vehicle if he proves that at the material time the circumstances were such that there was no likelihood of his driving it so long as he remained unfit to drive through drink or drugs'.