JSA Sanction

TONE MT
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4358 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I left my employer voluntarily on 31st January 2012. I have been receiving contributions based JSA since this date. On 17th April 2012 i received a letter asking for more information as to why i left my employer, and a series of questions were asked. I answered most of the questions and sent it back.

On the 10th May 2012 i received a reply dated 3rd May stating they cannot pay me JSA from 3rd May because there was doubt about the circumstances i left my employer.

This sanction applies from 3rd May to 4th August 2012.

Firstly i would like to ask will i still qualify for housing and council tax benefit? (I am a council tenant).

And can i try to claim for income based JSA?. And is it worth appealing against there decision?

Should i bother trying for a hardship payment?.

I have no assets, no income, no savings! any replies would be appreciated. Thanks

You cannot claim income based JSA because of a sanction on contribution based JSA. Whether it's worth an appeal would depend upon the reasons you left voluntarily. You will have been sanctioned for leaving employment voluntarily without good cause. If you did not have good cause to leave, then it's not worth appealing because an appeal will only reverse the decision if you can show that you had good cause to leave. If you did have good cause to leave, then yes - appeal. Good cause is not defined but you can find examples of it in the sanction guide - attached

Hardship is worth applying for if you are in hardship, yes. It's 60% of the benefit that you would have received, if the santion was not applied. I've attached the hardship guide as well.

Housing/council tax benefits are unaffected.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=35346&d=1337018788DWP Sanction guide.pdf

• Confused 1

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)