New tv faulty [blurring on 3D] + U/S rermote from Currys - **REFUNDED**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4329 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We bought a new tv from Currys this week in what seemed to be a to good to be true deal. It was there own brand Logik and was a 42 inch 3D full HD LED set for £399.

Setup was easy enough but the remote did not want to work properly and even after changing the batteries it did not work properly at first and only occasionally works but is a pain to keep having to press the buttons several times for the tv to do anything so might be a problem with either the tv or the remote?.

While the picture quality is great and highly impressed with the HD results from the sky box and blueays etc. However there is notable morion blur in a lot of fast moving scenes that I'd not have expected seeing as the old Beko 720p set has no real signs of at all. The 3D is again good and also impressed with that also. But in the 3D films i've tried the motion blur in a lot of fast moving action scenes ruins the scenes and can be highly annoying. Some quick research suggests that it's down to poor or non existant motion processing on this set and the fact that this set seems only to run at 50 hz means the 3D fast moving action scenes will always look poor and unwatchable because the 3D feature needs at least 100 hz when this set only seems to have 50 hz?. General 3D viewing on Sky (3d channel) looks great but when when it's fast moving action it makes it near impossable to watch 3D. So am wandering if this is another indication of a possable problem of a feature that we really bought the set for.

To be honest the main problem for us is not so much the 3D issues (unless we should not be having these issues unless getting them due to lack of motion processing and it being a 50 hz set) but more the problem with the remote which is strange. Because it seems to not want to work more often than it does and it's getting annoying that even after changing the batteries that we can be pressing the buttons several times and often have to stand right in front of the tv for it to work properly at all. And the problem with the remote looks to be getting worse even if fine for a couple of hours tonight. And we really cant decide at all if the issue is the remote or possably the tv itself

I am starting to get alarm bells ringing in my ears now over what may be 1 of those to good to be true deals on own brand equipment on the cheap. Does any of this sound like it's something we should be concerned about after such a short period of time?.

As we only bought it this tuesday gone we are wandering what our options and rights are for either a replacement or asking for our money back seeing as we have set it up and been using it for a few days?. Currys site suggests we can get our money back even it used if a fault but still unsure on what we should do over these issues?.

you can check you remote is working by firiing it at a mobile phone camera or digital camera and look in the view finder

you should see the flashing blue IR leds. if its working

as the shutter speed slows the IR to visable light on the screen

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Well I could see the IR light on my mobile phone camera while pressing the mute button.

But stood by the sofa in the same room as the tv had no effect on the tv and the sound stayed on while trying this as suggested.

All other remote items I can point in totally the opposite direction and they still work fine.

This remote was pointing upwards to my mobile and seems to be working fine yet it had no effect on the tv.

It's alomost like I have to be stood right in front of the tv for it to work which makes the point of a remote pointless.

By the way at worse the furthest seating from the tv is only about 9 ft away and thats when we are noting more problems.

We are going to try and get hold of some more 3D blurays (off a friend who also had a 3d tv) and test the 3D channel on Sky again to see if we still have major issues with motion blur in 3D. He says he notices no such issues with motion blur in 3d but I think he has the LG model which he says is 100 hz or something.

ok well you done all you can then

glad that test ruled out one or the other though,

so's its the tv, wonder if its a known issue?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

ok well you done all you can then

glad that test ruled out one or the other though,

so's its the tv, wonder if its a known issue?

dx

The actual model number is: L423ED11, I've done some google research this morning and it does look to be a common problem. Having looked at 3 seperate tech site reviews they all mention having major issues getting the remote to work properly. And there is also a lot of negative if mixed feedback on the motion blur issues to on the 3D side of things. All issues there suggest the 3D motion blur issue is down to as I thought after speaking to a friend the set only having a native 50 hz refresh rate and poor motion ability. Which as I now feel means nothing can be done to prevent the issues of motion blur on fast moving scenes\3D scenes because it looks like the set may well be incapable of properly doing 3D or smoother fast action motion because of the sets limited ability and refresh rate?.

The set was only released the back end of last year it seems so there is no way of knowing how serious an issue this might be now or in the near future. When we was in Currys we looked at the demo 3D sets they had on display and there certainly was no notable motion blur on 3D that we are noticing on this 1 and the problems with the remote are not constant where it is a bugger to get it to wortk at some goes and fine at other times.

To be honest i've lost faith in this set after less than a week and after doing some research. Which is a shame because as said the hd picture quality seems great and looks equal in quality to what some of the higher end models looked like in store.

It's cost us £7 in a taxi to get it home and would assumingly cost £7 to take it back and I'm reluctent to accept a replacement anyway after noting since release there have been known issues with the remotes and motion blur on the 3D due to poor refresh rates to have to pay a futher £7 to get another back home in a taxi. Also it seems Currys can be a pain over what they would class as a fault?.

How would I be best dealing with Currys over this as they could class a remote working stood right in fron of the set as not a fault and notable motion blur on standard deff, while not so notable on HD but terrable on 3D as something thats not a fault at all?.

direct refund totally

under 14 days

known issues too

phone the store where you brought it

refund please

dx

and they

Called the store earlier, well no I did'nt and could'nt as had to phone a main central number it seems as per receipt number

and got 1 of the trained monkies assuming I'd done none of the obvious to try and sort it.

They did'nt want to know when I said there are reports of the remotes having issues being a known and reported problem since the model was released.

The result after trying to humour the guy was the only was to get the remote to work was to stand right in front of the tv

and even then I struggled to get the remote to work and the menu going off again several times before I could do as instructed to do a reset.

they suggest taking it back (in a taxi as thats how I got in home) to the store to see if they could verify the faults I reported

but they would neither accept it's a known problem or know if they will even look at it in store while I wait either leaving me to leave it there or to bring it back at another time?.

And that they may not have the facility or time instore while I wait to verify my claims of issues with motion blur\ghosting on fast moving full hd bluray

thats unacceptable and making watching 3D impossable in fact action moving scenes

Also my partner noticed this first that watching hd channels there are also issues (new or since setup I dont know) with the brightness

that parts of a scene are overly dark and can be overly bright like the actors faces are lit up with a floodlight

while the background remains relativly dark making some scenes look very odd while others are then to bright and others to dark looking.

sri i should have posted this earlier

you will not be able to PM

this gent

please follow the info below:

Hi Guys,

you can contact me at http://getsatisfaction.com/curryspcworld/

I will be able to chat to you further from there.

Kind Regards,

PaulThe KNOWHOW Team

or

Thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forum.

I am sorry to read of the trouble that you have experienced

If you would like to email me at [email protected] with your agreement details and postal details and tel number,

I will look into this for you to see what I can do to resolve this.

Kind Regards,

Paul

The KNOWHOW Team.

have alerted paul he should pop in in the morning

just await his intervention

dx

and they

Also to give some futher information

all suggestions on the issue on motion blur on google suggest that the issue can be solved,

well helped by altering the screen mode for the likes of sport, cinema, film, fast action etc & altering ther motion settings etc.

As the Logik L423ED11 has no such settings to deal with different material and seemingly no settings to deal with motion then I'm left feeling I've bought us a load of crap that looks good on paper and can deliver a decent HD image yet really is not fit for purpose when viewing fast action images and scenes on full HD and looks terrible when watching a fast moving 3D scene. A hell of a lot of Avatar 3D for example is terrible with motion blur\juddering in fast action scenes. There is a scene not to far into it where there is a fight in the woods and all detail is lost into a jumble of motion blur and juddering and none of us felt we could watch the film in 3D beyond this point as it was ruining what is supposed to be a great film to watch and there is no settings at all to deal with the motion issues for this tv. Checked all the inputs and even though it's coming through the player at 1080 the tv is only opperating at 50hz it seems which is possably where the issues lie.

To be honest I did little research but just came by it via the Currys website looking at other things and noted the drop in price from £499 and it being LED backlit and relative good customer feedback via the link from there own site at least.

To point to that review link is interesting as thats 1 of the reviews since buying it I came by and even they noted the inability to get the remote to work properly as does many review sites and feedback it seems yet according the the guy on the phone last night they tried to give the impression there are no such known issues with the remotes and a simple change of remote may sort it but may not if it's not the remote and by that time in all possably may use up my right to get a refund within the 21 days. The guy on the support line when mentioning if the motion blur being awfull on 3D might be related to the set being limited to 50\60hz said thats just the native refresh and that 3D would probably be double that (100hz?) but he could not confirm this and neither can I find any confirmation of what the refresh rate is for 3D footage or films. All he said was that if it did'nt properly support 3D then they would never have released it as a 3D set in the first place.

Our store is 1 of the combo Currys\PC world so I'd hope they can look at it and have the facility to verify any faults while I wait. But no, while the set was on disply like near all 3D sets there they were only showing there generic broadcast of whatever it was, certainly not 3D, possably not even HD and neither any fast moving footage to give a propper indication of the sets ability.

Edited by Donny909

Thanks, will be taking it in tomorrow morning sometime hopefully. Annoyingly I cant even contact the store directly to try and book an appointment to make sure they can look at it there and then so will just have to take a chance they have someone available as tomorrow will be the only time this week I'll have the time to take it back.

In all honesty I'd prefer the money back due to a number of issues with it and save several weeks longer and get a better branded set. But it they can show it is a fault with the set and an in store 1 works ok I'd think about taking a replacement just as long as they would reset the 21 days refund\exchange policy and do the free home delivery as

I'm not going to take a chance paying another £14 to take another back and 2 if developing a fault.

Should now be taking it back this afternoon (busy this morning) and faults verified, will be asking for a full refund rather than a replacement as the remote seems to have gone alltogether now after having a look at the settings last night to try and fix other issues!. I was trying to rectify why in the soaps for example the actors faces where often in some scenes (while other scenes are fine) look so lit up and bright as if under a strong light and the background scenery looking normal yet adjusting the settings for half an hour meant to get the correct brightness and contrast for people on screen that all the background details have become annoyingly to dark and lacking and real detail, even in HD. This effect seems to differ from scene to scene and program to program, that cant be normal can it as nobody can be expected to have to change settings every other program or alter contrast or brightness constantly?. Prehaps a problem with the image processor or whatever you call it?.

In all honesty we wont now feel comfortable accepting a replacement of the same model due to the as said issues and having checked there are no other similar spec and size models on there website for what we paid so also an alternative model is probably out of the question to. Now I'm, half expecting Currys even if they verify the faults to insist on a replacement or a credit note. I know we dont have to accept this and I did pay by cash (£400). But as paying with cash should they still refund as cash or do they have a policy of not refunding cash over a certain amount and might try to enforce a credit note this way?.

Also what part of the SOGA might I need to mention if they try to force a replacement on me?. I know it should'nt come to that and probably wont as there own policy states 21 days after sale for a refund or replacement but might help me if I get an aukward manager or person to deal with.

Just a little update, took it back yesterday explained the issue with the remote and the other issues I had with reguards to motion blur and an inability to get the contrast\brightness settings working properly etc. They had to test it of cause to verify the faults. As soon as they verified the issue with the remote they just boxed it back up and never bothered looking at the other issues. Like both myself and partner said when I told her, it sure sounds like they are fully aware of major issues with the remote\tv not receiving the signals on this set to not need to verify the other issues at all!.

So they offered an exchange which I of cause refused or the refund which I did, no hassles off them in the end in the slightest. And to be honest, the faulty sets they clearly know about aside, I was impressed with how easy it was to deal with them over returning it in the end. And because of that I'll almnost certainly deal with them again in the future because of how good they were with there 21 day returns policy in my case.

As a final note on the issue, they sure have problems with the brand or this model in general on a price front to sell it to, as it went from £600 to £500, to £400 then down to £300 for a time then back upto £400 claiming it's marked down from £500. Why not give it some propper motion processing ability and it might sell at a stable price then! lol

good result!!

dx

and they

Guest Paul - CurrysPCWorld

Hi Guys,

Sorry for taking my time to post I have been off work for 3 weeks and no one has seen my memo to pick up on this forum.

I am back now so if there is any issues that I may miss please don't hesitate to drop me an email or tweet me and I will be more than happy to jump back on board.

I am glad to hear that the store were able to do the right thing for you Donny909 and resolve the problem .

All the best,

Paul

The KNOWHOW Team