garage bill advice

jbjbjb
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4360 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I took my car into a garage because it wouldnt start.They ran tests ect on it told me it would coat £1200 to fix I said ok.They came back to me and said its not what they thought and have to do more tests.2 weeks later they said they cant find the problem and will I pick it up,do I have to pay for the time they have spent on it even though its no better than when I gave to them?thanks

Yes, you do need to pay them for the time they have spent attempting to diagnose the fault - it's a common law contract that you chose them to work on your car, unfortunately it's not a crime to be incompetent in business, it just normally means they won't be in business very long !

the cam belt snapped and I took it to a garage after fitting new parts inc new cam belt the mechanic said he couldnt get the van to start,he said he couldnt get the fuel running.He basically gave up and said I would need to take it another garage where they hav the correct diognostic equiptment to see what the problem was.I took it to a garage where the employees are actually vauxhall techs.I was told after 4hrs of diog at £75 an hr the fuel pump need changing.I said I would ring back.I spoke to another mechanic and he disagreed.So I rang back and was told quite surely

"well the fuel is pumping in one end and not coming out the other so it must be.I phoned back and said if I go ahead with the work will this solve the problem and was told off a different tech yes pretty sure it will.It didnt work so they tried another fuel pump didnt work again.They said they have been in touch with vauxhall for advice and done more tests.Over the 3 weeks they had it they never phoned me with updates even when I phoned them(about 8 times)and nearly every time time they said phone you back later today ect(never did)Phoned a couple of times and got the reaction that they had had enough of it.they say they have spent about 30 hrs on it.Now I dont think they will charge me the 30 hrs but sure they will charge me somthing.the last time I phoned them I was asked "what do you want to do with this van in a it sounded like take it away had enough and was told off the tech" Iv got 2 fuel pumps on my hands now sounding not to happy.So we agreed I pick it up and they put the old fuel pump back in(which they were meant to do today but didnt,said they will do it tomorrow)Wondering were I stand if they charge me,even if they only charge me for the first 4 hrs diog which I doubt the concluion they came to from that was wrong anyway.pre thanks for any advice

I dont see why you should pay anything, they have not fixed the car.

However they are unlikely to release the car until you pay something?

let us know what they want you to pay and will advise further.

If cam belt went is it likely to have head and valve damage as well?