Sleeping nights payment or not ???

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4329 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

This is my first post so be gentle.

I work as a support worker looking after young offenders mainly with drug and alcohol problems. I work sleeping nights but do not get paid for being on site while sleeping whereas most other organisations do pay a sleeping payment. So what is the regulation on this should they be paying us an overnight payment.

Problem is some of us cover weekends from fri to mon which is 64hours but we are only paid for 40 of them and some bank holidays you can be there for 88hours but paid for 56. Obviously this amounts to a lot of time unable to leave site but not being compensated. There is also the issue of the working time directive which I believe still to date includes sleeping time as part of working hours but cant find any up to date info on web. Help please.

The answer to whether, or not, they should be paying you is; it depends.....

There's some fairly convoluted case law on the subject, An example is in the link below:

http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/markup.cgi?doc=/uk/cases/UKEAT/2012/0048_11_2003.html&query="sleeping+facilities"&method=boolean

What does your contract say about your normal working hours and what does it say about the 'sleeping' hours?