So-called 'doubt' regarding Availability for Work

JayVelin
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4364 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well it will make for a more accurate picture on just to how many people are actually claiming benefits though.

Not good for the Goverment I would imagine , the figures will shoot up, because ESA, IB and IS are not counted in their total :(

Universal Credit will only be successful too if they get the computer software to work correctly, at the momemt it's far from right :(

Well, JSAPS has been around since the early 90s, IIRC, and it still doesn't really work. I mean, if you spend a lot of time arguing with it, you can usually get it to do what you want in the end. But I was a DEX for a while and it still makes me want to go outside and pound on rocks with my bare hands.

It doesn't...inspire confidence in a new system,

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Well, JSAPS has been around since the early 90s, IIRC, and it still doesn't really work. I mean, if you spend a lot of time arguing with it, you can usually get it to do what you want in the end. But I was a DEX for a while and it still makes me want to go outside and pound on rocks with my bare hands.

It doesn't...inspire confidence in a new system,

Why is it that most government commissioned computer systems are naff and unfit for purpose?

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

Come on, guys! No one has really offered anything on the original problem.

Can I assume that we all agree that asking to re-arrange a same-day fresh claim appointment in no way proves a lack of availability for work? Can I also assume that the description of this presumed lack of availability as a 'doubt' about availability is a pretence? - when the system provides no discretion on the part of JC staff and the 'decisionmaker' doesn't seek further information (from the 'client') in order to make the 'decision', there is no essential difference between 'doubt' and 'certainty'. Can I assume that I'm screwed just the same, even though I had the courtesy to call and ask to re-arrange rather than simply not turn up?

(It's no good saying "it's standard practice" - that something is standard practice doesn't make it fair or reasonable or respectful. It just means it's the way things are done. It doesn't stop it from being something we should try and overcome.)

I mean, you could at least have recommended new clients apply on-line after 3:30pm, if they don't want to have to stay close to home all day waiting for a possible summons (with shirt ironed ready for that sudden and immediate new job offer - the one that's going to come the day after your last job finished).

I mean, why wouldn't you have other commitments during the day, when there are jobs to be searched for on-line in the evening, and jobs which might start in the evening - should we be available for those too? Tell us. Please.

Actually, don't. Please, just tell us how to overcome these absurdities and leave it at that.

I mean, you could at least have recommended new clients apply on-line after 3:30pm

You have pretty much nailed it there I think, apply late in the day.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

Can I just say I have had some really nice staff when I was claiming JSA (ones who live in real World) and understand how difficult it all is - and a few (but only a few) who acted as if they owned the department - and made me feel guilty for even breathing.

But, most where very helpful, and just told me keep filling in my job search and doing as asked - they never put any real pressure on me.

Shame that is all being lost.

I am now on ESA (WRAG GROUP) so shall see what happens.

I feel sorry for the nice, understanding staff, as they are only trying to keep food on the table, they are as much a victim of system and its rules as we are.

Lilly

Can I just say I have had some really nice staff when I was claiming JSA (ones who live in real World) and understand how difficult it all is - and a few (but only a few) who acted as if they owned the department - and made me feel guilty for even breathing.

But, most where very helpful, and just told me keep filling in my job search and doing as asked - they never put any real pressure on me.

Shame that is all being lost.

Same. Was a bit disappointed that I had to change advisers. Ended up with a really awful one.

I have a nice adviser now and the Work Programme adviser is very good - he phoned me up early Friday morning and said there was a drop out place available on a course starting 30 minutes time, did I want to go as it was about self employment, I said yes and got there in time. I think this is going to look good on my records. Course actually did address some of the areas I was needing info on and I have a further meeting with the self employment people on 25th May.

The JSA staff where I go seem to vary (as probably does most office staff, especially so called customer service people who only answer a phone...) from being very good to clearly being 'just a processor'.

If they eliminated the 'just the processors' from front line duties and got them behind the scenes then maybe the system would improve.

Sadly, like the NHS (and I have personale experience of NHS system changeovers) the government spend more in consultant salaries and committee expenses than the actual software and training on the software to be used.

My favourite example is the manager who says 'it only takes 10 minutes' when they were given a pile of work as they decided to 'test' the theory, one file and 3 hours later they realised how unworkable their 'it only takes 10 minutes' quote was in reality, three days later and 5 files completed instead of the 30 they expected to do came the realisation that the faults were with the managers themselves 'playing' the system rather than using it properly.