Exchange Rates.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4363 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not sure where to put this, and I have looked through all the forums. I guess I will have to ask my mates in The Bear Garden.

I don't want to put you all on a downer:violin:, but I am off to Lanzarote next week :whoo:.

I have been Googling to see what the best Euro exchange rates are. The best I can get is 1.222 Euro's to the pound, yet the ITN news last night said it is now 1.24 to the pound. I don't need that much really, just a few hundred.

Can anyone tell me a good place to shop for them, or tell me if I would be better getting most of my money changed when I am there.

Thanks Guys

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

It's been a while since I've been abroad, however we did use the post office to exchange some money for a trip to America we paid for as a gift for someone, and we have used them in the past - they've been the best in my experience, but not sure about now.

Will have a shifty about for you - oh and by the way....Make sure you have a mega time!!!!!! :lol:

Life is like an echo, it all returns......The good, the bad, the false, the true......So if you give life the best you have, the best will come back to you.

I live outside the UK an am returning full time in summer.

On my phone in a bar just now while a group of us sort a deal out so links can't be posted and I cannot search on a second browser on wifi.

Which? Suggested this company...

They have many shops including one in Glasgow Central Station - and their rates for cash on the spot were best - but required to be prebooked/printed online.

So i cannot remember the name but a search should find it.

Also try moneybookers/skrym for direct bank transfers if possible.

My 14 year old has just fractured his big toe. Been the hospital all morning. All they can do is strap his toes together, and give him pain killers. That's the holiday dampened before we even go.:-(

I'm sure it will still be far better than staying here though.

Thanks DW, I have looked at the PO, but I think there are better options at the moment. Although I must admit, there is not much difference and the PO would be the easiest option. I think I need to look more into the exchange rate when we arrive there, rather than getting it all exchanged here.

We were in Belgium at the weekend good exchange rate there, think it is varying between 1.24 and 1.28 yesterday. We got euros at the post office before we went and they were using the same rate as the supermarkets and travel agent. Really dont think there is a lot of difference anywhere, todays rate on currency converter is 1.247

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

My 14 year old has just fractured his big toe. Been the hospital all morning. All they can do is strap his toes together, and give him pain killers. That's the holiday dampened before we even go.:-(

I'm sure it will still be far better than staying here though.

Thanks DW, I have looked at the PO, but I think there are better options at the moment. Although I must admit, there is not much difference and the PO would be the easiest option. I think I need to look more into the exchange rate when we arrive there, rather than getting it all exchanged here.

Oh dear Sod'em! Please send your Son my best wishes! There's not a great deal they do for toes - in fact he's lucky they even strapped them together!

I'm sure it won't affect his enjoyment once he's there - like you say, if somethings going to happen - you'd much rather be in a nice warm and relaxing climate during it, rather than be here!

Life is like an echo, it all returns......The good, the bad, the false, the true......So if you give life the best you have, the best will come back to you.

My 14 year old has just fractured his big toe. Been the hospital all morning. All they can do is strap his toes together' date=' and give him pain killers. That's the holiday dampened before we even go.:-([/quote']

Hi Sodem, have a fun filled time on your hols. Wishing your son a speedy recovery. Here is a link for your interest.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187477-i240-k5241443-Exchange_rate-Lanzarote_Canary_Islands.html

Hmm I think it's a bit bad taste to direct him to "trip advisor" as SOD'EM Jr has already broken his toe! :p

Post office also convert it back commision free aswell, so look at the whole picture as to costs before you buy. I know when we went on holls last we got a travel card that you can top up, and used the wifi in the hotel to sort it using internet banking to top up as we needed.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Hmm I think it's a bit bad taste to direct him to "trip advisor" as SOD'EM Jr has already broken his toe! :p

Post office also convert it back commision free aswell, so look at the whole picture as to costs before you buy. I know when we went on holls last we got a travel card that you can top up, and used the wifi in the hotel to sort it using internet banking to top up as we needed.

Trust this lot Sodem, have used this site a lot over time so hope it was useful:-)

One of my workmates is off to Lanzarote next week to visit her brother who lives out there. He's told her to wait until she gets there as the exchange rate is better over there. Don't know the numbers I'm afraid.

If you don't want to risk that, I've been shopping around myself and Sainsburys seem pretty good. If you get them instore I believe they're commission free and you get nectar points.

• Confused 1
The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/holiday-money/buy-100-pounds-worth-of-euros#results

The ICE one I suggested now requires three days notice to get the better rate - and you register online to do it - in the past you printed it off just before you went.

http://www.iceplc.com/bureaux/branchcollections.shtml

I've been to Lanzarote often, and found a car hire place who accepted cash for the full payment, and no cards needed registered - which I vastly preferred after having problems with false charges added afterwards by some of the larger better known companies.

The last I hired from them was E140 (low season) for two weeks for an almost new Mazda 2 which should help you get your son about - would you like a PM with the company details (GF has them).

What Caro said is also fairly true - there are a few places there offering good rates to get you into their shop, although strangely they often seem to make errors in their own favour - so know what to expect back first!

Do you know where you are going yet? Main places are Porte del Carmen, Playa Blanca, and Costa Teguise. You can buy a multi entry ticket for I think 6 or 10 places at a large discount to see museums/tourist locations to keep your costs down and your son occupied.

Hope he feels better soon - and you enjoy your holiday.

If you are self catering and have a car - the cheapest places to shop are Hyper Dino, and the Spar in Arrecife (one is opening in Costa Teguise too but was far smaller).

I've been in that hotel - but just to meet up with people we got friendly with who stayed there. Funnily - its on the same road as the bike hire place - only its on the other side, and in a pedestrian area closer to the centre and up some stair in a pedestrian bit, though you are pretty close to the centre too.

There is a pub with good entertainment just round the corner (go out, turn right, then first right) called Cactus Jacks about 3-400m away. I think it has a FB page where you could see what's scheduled.

The two places that always seemed to have the best exchange rates - one was on the same road too - roughly at the junction with Ave De Jablilo (on the inland side) which was only an exchange type place - and the other was on ADJ itself - on the left at the large carpark area as you walk towards the sea. It was a "duty free" style shop run by Indian guys.

There are tons of cafe food places close to you and there's also a few chinese restaurants that offer all you can eat deals for normally 6-8 euros (if they are quiet when you walk past - they normally offer you the buffet for 5 euros to get first bums in seats). There is an Indian, but its probably about UK prices, and an Italian called Portobello that is about UK prices too - but the food is more than worth it.

There are many shops selling watches/electronics/cameras etc - and although the prices are good, there is a vast amount of out of date stock, and no shortage of tales of fakes - so be on your guard.

CT is entirely a tourist place, there was not really a town there before. If you walk inland - you can see empty streets - just roads pavements and lighting with close to no buildings - and its been like that for 25 years. Originally all but the very front was like that.

There are public transport buses that go there, and if you dont have transfers, they are a lot cheaper than a taxi. As far as I remember they go to the road at the rear of the block your hotel is on. I normally drive, but sometimes get buses if I am going to another town for a drink. There's a Spar ?Internation? there too - again I think on the road behind your hotel - but about 2km closer to Arrecife.

The closest tourist trips are Cactus Gardens, and Teguise Market.

There is a public transport bus to Orzola that passes the Volcanic museum, and Green Caves, that will be cheaper than going on organised trips. Also if you go all the way to Orzola you can get the ferry to Graciosa which is a sandy island with sand streets and extinct volcanos. Also from Orzola you can walk up to Mirador del Rio, its perhaps an hours walk - but really really weird landscape - and a cafe designed by Cesar Manrique once you get there. The view is unbelievable. In bad weather the wind condenses the water out the air as its blow up the cliffs, and its like steam pouring up over the edge.

Mirador del Rio, Cactus Gardens, Jameos del Agua (volcanic museum) and Green Caves are all on the multiple ticket I mentioned.

Green Caves are not green - but only called that as the family living in them were called Verde!

The caves are a tunnel where lava flowed into the sea underground - and as it cooled and contracted left space to walk and underground lakes.

There is a bit where the roof of this tunnel collapsed thousands of years ago - and you can walk down inside easily - although its not on any tourist trip - but we took a packed lunch there - inside the end at the right is sandy - the end at the left is bolders. If you go take a torch, although its only about 20m from the open section, but very dark looking in after being in sunlight. Here it is on the map...

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=los+zocos+costa+teguise&hl=en&ll=29.163697,-13.450758&spn=0.001206,0.001725&safe=off&hq=los+zocos+costa+teguise&radius=15000&t=h&z=19

This is just things at your end of the island - if you want any more info just ask - cheers!

I have deleted some of my inbox messages, so any sent from now should reach me.

Thanks for all this info. There is a lot more to do than I originally thought.:-D

When is it you're off Sod'Em?

I hope you have a lovely time! Chill out, relax and enjoy! :plane:

Thanks DW. We fly out from Manchester on Saturday. Can't wait now. I just hope the holiday doesn't fly over like the last couple of weeks have.:|

The Post Office is usually quite good - and not commission charge.

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

Although the PO "do not charge commission" - its included in the rate effectively.

This makes the PO brilliant for very small transactions (like sending someone a ten dollar note on ebay) - but as the amount increases, the rate effectively worsens.