Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3212 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

This is the situation.

I commenced my short hold tennancy on June 7 2011 through an property letting agency rather than the landlord direct.

Now, the Letting agency have FLAT REFUSED to provide an out of office hours contact number, the only way we have of contacting them for repairs or emergencies are during office hours 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

Now we all know, emergencies do not stick to 9-5 Mon-Fri.

On easter Monday last, there were sparks coming from the Shower pull switch in the bathroom.

Obviously I had no way of contacting the agent so had to commision an electrician from the yellow pages to come and repair it, they had to replace the switch and all the wiring from it and the shower to the consumer unit along with a consumer unit fuse.

the cost altogether with call out, labour and parts was £420.00 (give or take a few pence)

I had to pay that myself...... because the Letting Agent refuses to give her mobile number for out of hours emergencies ( HER ACTUAL SAY ON THE MATTER WAS) I dont give my number out any more because people ring me at stupid hours on sundays. (Well correct me if i am wrong, but is that not your job as a Letting Agent for the landlord)

Where do I stand, could I be entitled to get this money back from the Agent or Landlord (Dont know who the landlord is, we only deal with the Agent)

?? Any help apprechiated.

Thepalace1

The shower would have been made safe by removing fuse from consumer unit for which only a call-out charge would have arisen.

Unfortunately the electrician may have taken advantage of you by doing more work than was necessary to resolve the emergency.

If the wrong fuse were fitted in the consumer unit and there was a short-circuit, it *could* have resulted in the cable from the consumer unit to shower to have been fried (and for there to have been a potential fire). This would have required replacement. Did the electrician leave behind the old cable though as evidence, as without that the agent may conclude that you were conned by electrician?

If you don't think things like that happen, an agent of mine got in a gas man to do a safety certificate on a gas fire and he condemned it because the tenant had damaged the flue and the flue was "obsolete" - he suggested to the agent that he replace the fire for around £900. Fortunately the agent contacted me. I was able to order a new flue for less than £100.

The expensive part (probably) was replacing cable back to the consumer unit. Do you also have the cable? One would be looking to see whether the cable rating was too small for the fuse or MCB.

I still think it is possible that the electrician has ripped you off. Perhaps you could ask electrician for a report (for £420 quid he should not object to explaining what the problem was if he was legitimate).

You could also put pressure on agent to obtain evidence that the electrical installation of the house is safe. The landlord has an obligation to make sure the electrical installation is safe. You have some evidence that it may not have been safe.