• Tweets

• My advice - submit the completed Tax Return first. Then worry about who owes what to whom. That's dealt with separately from the form itself. Have you checked your account with HMRC to see what they owe you (or you owe them) as of today? What's the situation?
    • Hi Senbell1 I too have made this mistake almost exactly the same issues with my vehicle I am currently and have been since December 2nd doing everything I can to get this  **** caught its not proving easy I've been in touch with police Scotland,  West Midlands police , consumer advice, motor and financial ombudsman , county courts my local sheriff court and the relevant moter trade association  I have lots of evidence against him and  I intend to take it as fas as I need to in order  to stop him !!  i know exactly how you feel and if I manage to get the matter resolved I will message again . if it helps he is now trading on eBay  under .   LeeHudson-Cars James Harrison Industrial Unit  Warwick West Midlands CV34 5XH United Kingdom Email:jamesharrisoncars@gmail.com   make sure you call trading standards and report him there number is 0345 404 0506 they need several complaints to open a case and investigate   
    • Thanks dear taxhelper. I really appreciate it.   As a nurse i am part self employed and part PAYE ( i think i had mentioned that in my initial post#1).   But I totally agree, everything should balance out.   I have kind of worked out how much I owe them. I wont be able to pay it all because I am short of funds. The hospital had delayed processing one of my invoices and so the payment may r may not be in my bank account by the end of the month. I dont know that. If it does get into my account then im Ok paying my tax. if not then I wont have enough.   How should I play this? Shall I call HMRC and give them advance notice, stating that I may not be able to pay the lot as a lump sum? I have called the hospital and tried y best and they promised to pay me but they have let me down in the past, so I remain in limbo whether they will pay me in time or not    
    • Breaking News:   Johnson 'The Liar' and his full support entourage arrive in Scotland after their long trip.   Rumours indicate a possible stop off at Barnard Castle on the way back to London after the brief visit to Scotland to highlight the governments crucial stay at home message.    
    • Maybe add in 5  therefore Devere have no cause for action
  • Our picks

• I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 31 replies

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3180 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

This is the situation.

I commenced my short hold tennancy on June 7 2011 through an property letting agency rather than the landlord direct.

Now, the Letting agency have FLAT REFUSED to provide an out of office hours contact number, the only way we have of contacting them for repairs or emergencies are during office hours 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

Now we all know, emergencies do not stick to 9-5 Mon-Fri.

On easter Monday last, there were sparks coming from the Shower pull switch in the bathroom.

Obviously I had no way of contacting the agent so had to commision an electrician from the yellow pages to come and repair it, they had to replace the switch and all the wiring from it and the shower to the consumer unit along with a consumer unit fuse.

the cost altogether with call out, labour and parts was £420.00 (give or take a few pence)

I had to pay that myself...... because the Letting Agent refuses to give her mobile number for out of hours emergencies ( HER ACTUAL SAY ON THE MATTER WAS) I dont give my number out any more because people ring me at stupid hours on sundays. (Well correct me if i am wrong, but is that not your job as a Letting Agent for the landlord)

Where do I stand, could I be entitled to get this money back from the Agent or Landlord (Dont know who the landlord is, we only deal with the Agent)

?? Any help apprechiated.

Thepalace1

The shower would have been made safe by removing fuse from consumer unit for which only a call-out charge would have arisen.

Unfortunately the electrician may have taken advantage of you by doing more work than was necessary to resolve the emergency.

If the wrong fuse were fitted in the consumer unit and there was a short-circuit, it *could* have resulted in the cable from the consumer unit to shower to have been fried (and for there to have been a potential fire). This would have required replacement. Did the electrician leave behind the old cable though as evidence, as without that the agent may conclude that you were conned by electrician?

If you don't think things like that happen, an agent of mine got in a gas man to do a safety certificate on a gas fire and he condemned it because the tenant had damaged the flue and the flue was "obsolete" - he suggested to the agent that he replace the fire for around £900. Fortunately the agent contacted me. I was able to order a new flue for less than £100.

The expensive part (probably) was replacing cable back to the consumer unit. Do you also have the cable? One would be looking to see whether the cable rating was too small for the fuse or MCB.

I still think it is possible that the electrician has ripped you off. Perhaps you could ask electrician for a report (for £420 quid he should not object to explaining what the problem was if he was legitimate).

You could also put pressure on agent to obtain evidence that the electrical installation of the house is safe. The landlord has an obligation to make sure the electrical installation is safe. You have some evidence that it may not have been safe.