• Tweets

• Euro have got a lot wrong and have failed to comply with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4.  According to Section 13 after ECP have written to Arval they should then send a NTH to the Hirer  which they have done.This eliminates Arval from any further pursuit by ECP. When they wrote to your company they should have sent copies of everything that they asked Arval for. This is to prove that your company agree what happened on the day of the breach. If ECP then comply with the Act they are allowed to pursue the hirer. If they fail, to comply they cannot make the hirer pay. They can pursue until they are blue in the face but the Hirer is not lawfully required to pay them and if it went to Court ECP would lose. Your company could say who was driving but the only person that can be pursued is the Hirer, there does not appear to be an extension for a driver to be pursued. Even if there was, because ECP have failed miserably to comply with the Act  they still have no chance of winning in Court. Here are the relevant Hire sections from the Act below.
    • Thank-you FTMDave for your feedback. May I take this opportunity to say that after reading numerous threads to which you are a contributor, I have great admiration for you. You really do go above and beyond in your efforts to help other people. The time you put in to help, in particular with witness statements is incredible. I am also impressed by the way in which you will defer to others with more experience should there be a particular point that you are not 100% clear on and return with answers or advice that you have sought. I wish I had the ability to help others as you do. There is another forum expert that I must also thank for his time and patience answering my questions and allowing me to come to a “penny drops” moment on one particular issue. I believe he has helped me immensely to understand and to strengthen my own case. I shall not mention who it is here at the moment just in case he would rather I didn't but I greatly appreciate the time he took working through that issue with me. I spent 20+ years of working in an industry that rules and regulations had to be strictly adhered to, indeed, exams had to be taken in order that one had to become qualified in those rules and regulations in order to carry out the duties of the post. In a way, such things as PoFA 2012 are rules and regulations that are not completely alien to me. It has been very enjoyable for me to learn these regulations and the law surrounding them. I wish I had found this forum years ago. I admit that perhaps I had been too keen to express my opinions given that I am still in the learning process. After a suitable period in this industry I became Qualified to teach the rules and regulations and I always said to those I taught that there is no such thing as a stupid question. If opinions, theories and observations are put forward, discussion can take place and as long as the result is that the student is able to clearly see where they went wrong and got to that moment where the penny drops then that is a valuable learning experience. No matter how experienced one is, there is always something to learn and if I did not know the answer to a question, I would say, I don't know the answer to that question but I will go and find out what the answer is. In any posts I have made, I have stated, “unless I am wrong” or “as far as I can see” awaiting a response telling me what I got wrong, if it was wrong. If I am wrong I am only too happy to admit it and take it as a valuable learning experience. I take the point that perhaps I should not post on other peoples threads and I shall refrain from doing so going forward. 🤐 As alluded to, circumstances can change, FTMDave made the following point that it had been boasted that no Caggers, over two years, who had sent a PPC the wrong registration snotty letter, had even been taken to court, let alone lost a court hearing .... but now they have. I too used the word "seemed" because it is true, we haven't had all the details. After perusing this forum I believe certain advice changed here after the Beavis case, I could be wrong but that is what I seem to remember reading. Could it be that after winning the above case in question, a claimant could refer back to this case and claim that a defendant had not made use of the appeal process, therefore allowing the claimant to win? Again, in this instance only, I do not know what is to be gained by not making an appeal or concealing the identity of the driver, especially if it is later admitted that the defendant was the driver and was the one to input the incorrect VRN in error. So far no one has educated me as to the reason why. But, of course, when making an appeal, it should be worded carefully so that an error in the appeal process cannot be referred back to. I thought long and hard about whether or not to post here but I wanted to bring up this point for discussion. Yes, I admit I have limited knowledge, but does that mean I should have kept silent? After I posted that I moved away from this forum slightly to find other avenues to increase my knowledge. I bought a law book and am now following certain lawyers on Youtube in the hope of arming myself with enough ammunition to use in my own case. In one video titled “7 Reasons You Will LOSE Your Court Case (and how to avoid them)” by Black Belt Barrister I believe he makes my point by saying the following, and I quote: “If you ignore the complaint in the first instance and it does eventually end up in court then it's going to look bad that you didn't co-operate in the first place. The court is not going to look kindly on you simply ignoring the company and not, let's say, availing yourself of any kind of appeal opportunities, particularly if we are talking about parking charge notices and things like that.” This point makes me think that, it is not such a bizarre judgement in the end. Only in the case of having proof of payment and inputting an incorrect VRN .... could it be worthwhile making a carefully worded appeal in the first instance? .... If the appeal fails, depending on the reason, surely this could only help if it went to court? As always, any feedback gratefully received.
    • To which official body does one make a formal complaint about a LPA fixed charge receiver? Does one make a complaint first to the company employing the appointed individuals?    Or can one complain immediately to an official body, such as nara?    I've tried researching but there doesn't seem a very clear route on how to legally hold them to account for wrongful behaviour.  It seems frustratingly complicated because they are considered to be officers of the court and held in high esteem - and the borrower is deemed liable for their actions.  Yet what does the borrower do when disclosure shows clear evidence of wrong-doing? Does anyone have any pointers please?
    • Less than 1% of Japan's top companies are led by women despite years of efforts to address the issue.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Robeersway and cap1 debt

May Fly
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4370 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My hubby has been contacted by a DCA for a debt he doesn't recognise. He did have a CC with the company mentioned by the DCA, but it was paid off a long time ago, and the account number given isn't his - he checked his old statements. In any case, his account was closed at least 7 years ago.

I can knock out a prove it letter, and also mention it would be statue barred anyway, even if it was his, along with complaints to the ICO, OFT (via consumer direct or whoever it is) and FSO but as they were told the account wasn't his the first time they contacted him a few months ago, and have now written twice within 2 weeks, and phoned the house today, I wondered if there was an additional weapon.

I seem to remember some time ago on this site that someone threatened a DCA with 'admin charges' if they continued to write to him with no just cause. I also seem to remember that the cagger, (or someone else) was told by a judge in a court case, that he couldn't claim what he attempted to do (for dealing with the DCA letters), but if he has used a different form of words, then he would have been allowed to. Does anyone have any more info? It was something like not being able to charge for admin, but being allowed to charge for something else, just a form of words really.

In short, if a DCA continues to contact him, is there any way he can charge them for dealing with their correspondence? He isn't daunted by having to lodge court papers, or appear in court, as long as he has a legal basis for doing so.

You have no contract with the DCA, so I don't know what claim he could bring against them.

People have invoiced DCA's for small amounts to cover their costs and someone recently posted to say that they received a cheque.

Suggest that he writes for the attention of the DCA's compliance manager and advises them they are chasing for a card debt, that he has never had. He should warn them that if they continue to write he will make a complaint to the FOS, OFT and Trading standards.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

yes, as I said, I can knock out the usual letters for SB debt and to OFT etc, but we all know how they tend to ignore the facts, and if the 'debt' is passed to another DCA, the whole cycle could start again, and regardless of what they are doing wrong, the whole bunch of so called regulators are pretty unimpressive at taking effective and timely action.

I am sure I read some time ago of a cagger who, as I said, did counter-claim against a DCA and was unsuccesful only because of his choice of words/what he was charging for. Nevertheless,

People have invoiced DCA's for small amounts to cover their costs and someone recently posted to say that they received a cheque

could be useful, who was it, anyone know?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Before sending anything a little more

information would help, which DCA

is chasing this and who is the original

creditor?

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

thanks uncleB

Cheers guys. I think it's worth highlighting that I claimed for "Undue distresslink3.gif" as advised in a previous CAGlink31.gif thread, where the judge suggested that it would be the best way forward in a compensation claim, rather than emphasising costs.

So thanks to the original CAGlink31.gif poster (sorry, can't remember who that was now).

maybe that's what I was thinking of... it's just impossible to find the original.

The dca is robbersway, and the lender was Cap1, but he is convinced the debt was settled a loooong time ago - he thinks at least 10, and prob nearer 12 years. Turns out the last time they contacted him was 2 years ago (not a few months as I thought, and he dug out an old statement that showed the account number the robbers has was wrong. He thinks he also phoned Cap1 who couldn't help him as there was no record of his account as it was so old.

No idea how RW has dreamt up this debt, and maybe its for someone with a similar name, but it seems the letters just started off attempting to collect rather than fishing for info first.

He gets a monthly update of his credit file. It was clean 2 years ago and there hasn't been any new entries made on it since, hence there are no defaults.

Although RW may be a lightweight pre-school bottom feeder, we want this killing for ever, and not being passed to someone else and not being put on the back burner and RW having another try in a few months time.

The phone is ex-directory and only 2 years old, so they must have got the number from his credit file rather than from the account being chased, same for the address. He's now worried in case they call him at work (work number is probably on the credit file as well) as it would damage his reputation at work

Phone numbers are not seen on CRA files,

so no worries there.

I suggest sending the following to RWs compliance manager.

Dear Sir or Madam,

Ref:xxxxxxxxxxx

I write in regard to your correspondence about

the debt for £xxxxxx which you allege is owed by

me, take note I do not acknowledge any debt to

you or any company you claim to represent.

I have no knowledge of any such debt and have

taken advice and researched this matters and have

concluded and such alleged debt is Statute Barred

I will therefore not be making any payment or offer

of payment now or in the future.

You WILL therefore cease to process any data you

hold on me and delete it from your records.

You WILL NOT make any further contact in amy form

at my address and you WILL NOT telephone me.

I am fully aware of the OFT Guidance on Debt Collection

2003/2011 and will not hesitate to make a complaint about

this matter.

Send RD.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Well, if phone numbers are not seen on CRA files, they must be clairvoyant or something. The phone number is ex directory and new since the last time they contacted him, so even if he was naive enough to call them and not withhold the number, the number has changed since.

If the number is ex-directory, and not reported on the CRA files, then how could they get this new number? Even if we change the number, they may be able to get the new one. They called again this morning, and were left waiting.... but for sure they will call again, hence the desire to hit them in the pocket for the problems they're causing. The letter you propose is pretty much what is being drafted but we know how reluctant they are to follow the law and guidelines.

There are many ways that a phone number

can be trac quickll and easily.

Send the letter off

My guess is you will have problems ''hitting them in the pocket''

as the OFT Guidance on Statute Barred debt states that the debtor

must inform the creditor/DCA that the debt is SB and they will not

be paying, so if if this has not been done in writting the DCA is at

liberty to chase the debt.

Yes it seems irrelevant if the phone number is ex-directory, I have been contacted by phone by a DCA

and the number is not even mine, it belongs to and was registered by the home owner, also ex-directory

but they still associate it with the address and me...seems they have their ways to obtain the info.

would anyone care to shed light on how a number can be traced to its owner (rather than to a previous resident of the same house) so that he same thing won't happen again (we're thinking of changing the number), and so lessons can be learned?

I92.Com, for one, google any of the sites such as who phones me,

any application for credit, mail order, competition on line survey and

many more ways exist, all the marketing data is sold to many users.

I seriously doubt that you will ever stop it.

thanks for your suggestions but its difficult to see how they apply. Who calls me works the other way round - you put a number in and get other's opinions about who the number belongs to. I put the house number in out of interest and found nothing. He doesn't do competitions or surveys of any kind, the phone provider doesn't sell phone numbers, the number is registered for TPS, and if credit companies don't add the number to the CRA file, then I can't see how they can spread the number. The only application for credit was for a car loan and credit card last year, both of which are on one of the credit files he got (the other had NOTHING which shows it was a waste of money and time), but there wasn't any phone number. The only that may be relevant is if the credit companies sold his details privately - I'm always telling him to opt out of marketing stuff even though we're opted in to the mail preference service.

The trouble with the preference services is that

it only works with suppliers/merchants etc., who

participate in the schemes.

I have a posts code identifier for work purposes as

to most compainies this will identify any property and

details regarding the residents and eg on electoral

roll and contact details.

Yes, the preference services aren't perfect, but we get very little junk mail, virtually none in fact, unless you count flyers for 'local' takeaways etc.

I know databases of personal details exists, but they can only contain the info about a person that is available to them. As the house number is ex directory and the phone company don't sell customer details, then someone who has received his phone number must have passed it on - the number is new to us in a new address, so it hasn't followed us here, and they asked for him by name, so know the number belongs to him, and as they wrote to him, they can match the phone and house. The problem is WHO passed the number? The same people will also have his works number and probably his works address if they are loan or credit companies.

The number wasn't on the 2 credit files he checked, but a search made by the robbers was - uncategorised which I think means it won't be seen by other people searching the file (is that correct?). So they've obviously found a match for someone using his initial and surname, not full name and middle initial, and matched him with the previous address where they wrote, and obviously feel they have the right person. Annoying thing is, the file showed no defaults, CCJs, and only the present 2 sources of credit. Even the "Gone Away Information Network" section of the file was blank so they have good reason to believe even the debt is not his or it is statute barred.... but still the **** start their harrassment.

Thing is, is it worthwhile stating this in the letter or just tell them the debt isn't his or is statute barred?

by the way, I did read the OFT guidance, as it was updated late last year, and yes, they do say that in their opinion statute barred debts still exist and it is incumbent on the person to tell the company they will not be paying any statute barred debt. That much is easy to follow, but why it is like that seems strange because it leaves the way open for continued harassment. In Scotland, the OFTs stance is that a debt becomes non-existent when statute barred.

Thing is, if this debt is SB, how do we stop RW from passing the info to someone else for them to try their hand? Same if it isn't his debt in the first place. If the debt isn't his, they don't have the correct consent to process the data and are breaching OFT guidelines by contact him..... but the ICO takes 6 months to do anything, and usually it's underwhelming in my experience. But if the debt was his, and is now SB (he is adamant it isn't his anyway) how do we stop them simply passing the info to another lowlife bottom feeder?

Unrecorded and T2 searches have no ipacrt.

As to RW send the follopwing to their Compliance Mananger./

Dear Sir or Madam,

Ref:xxxxxxx xxxxxxx

I write in regard to your correspondence received on xxxxx

I have no knowledge of any such debt for xxxx xxxx which

you allege is owed by me, and I do not acknowledge any liability

to RW or any company you may claim to represent.

From research and advice received I have concluded that it would

now be Statute Barred, I will not now or in the future make any payment

or offer of payment on a debt that is not mine.

You will therefore remove and cease to process all data you hold on me,

you wil not pass my details and telephone numbers to any third party.

I am fully aware of the OFT Guidance On Debt collection 2003/2011 and

will not hesitate to make a complaint to the OFT regarding your companies

conduct.

Send it RD.

'In Scotland, the OFTs stance is that a debt becomes non-existent when statute barred.'

It is in fact Scots Law. 5 years and the debt is extinguished (ceases to exist.) Prescription and Limitation (Scotland) Act 1973 section 6

Yes I know it is. I paraphrased the OFT document which makes it clear the debt is not recoverable when SB.

but as we don't live in Scotland and have never had any debts or contracts written under, or subject to Scottish Law., it is a moot point