Problems with Deposit Protection Scheme

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4367 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I shared my house with my friend Leo but Leo had to move out in October 2011 as he was dying of cancer and had to move back in with his Mum. He wrote and signed a letter to the letting agents informing them that as of the end of October he was to have no involvement with the house at all. The whole point of his writing and signing this letter to the letting agents was so that if there were any problems (like the problems I am experiencing now) neither Leo nor his family would be involved. Leo passed away in January of this year and in March of this year I moved out of the house and into a flat. The deposit is being held with the DPS and they are refusing to give it to me because Leo was named as the lead tenant. They have told me that a) the letting agents should have informed them that Leo was no longer a tenant in the house as from end of October 2011 and that to get the deposit back I have to contact Leo's next of kin, get them to apply for a Next of Kin form, fill that in and send it back to the DPS who will then put them as the lead tenant on the account. Leo's next of kin can then apply to get the whole deposit back and then I can ask them to transfer it into my bank. Now my problem here is that I have no contact with Leo's family at all, we are not on speaking terms and haven't been since he died. I am not comfortable approaching his grieving Mum and asking her to help me with this and, more to the point, I don't think she would do it anyway. The DPS basically told me that I have no legal rights to the deposit and that I should seek independant legal advice on the matter. I have an appointment with the CAB on Wednesday but I was just wondering if anyone here can shed some light on this for me. I know it would have been Leo's responsibility to inform the DPS that he was no longer a tenant but as he was dying of cancer, I don't think it was forefront in his mind. The letting agents never contacted me to advise me to contact the DPS and I have only really discovered all of this since I moved out of the house in March of this year. This matter is actually making me quite ill now as I borrowed money to move into my new flat on the strength that I would get the deposit back from the old house. Please can anyone give me information or point me in the right direction on what to do about this? The DPS told me that each case is assessed on an individual basis and now they have suspended the account. I should point out that I am named on the DPS account and also on the tenancy agreement.

what is your relationship with the Letting agent/LL like??

As an alternative way would be for the LL to claim the whole lot back, and give it back to you....

Just thinking out loud here, other people may not think this a such a good idea, and it will only work if you are on good terms with the LL....

I am not a solicitor :!::!:

Most of my knowledge came from this site :-D:-D

If I have been helpful in any way at all .............. Please click my star..... :-(:-(

Was Leo the only T named on the AST or was your name included as 'joint' tenant?

Who paid the deposit? If you, can you prove it?

This is no longer a straight deposit reclaim,as DPS are bound to follow Inheritence rules for deceased's estate.

Did Leo leave a Will? Who is Executor?