• Tweets

• I'm not sure we were on standard tariffs - I've uploaded as many proofs as I can for the ombudsman - ovo called last night uping the compensation to 100 from 50 pounds for the slip in customer service however they won't acknowledge the the problem them not acknowledging a fault has caused nor are they willing to remedy anything as they won't accept the meter or formula was wrong.   I'd appreciate more details on the economy 7 approach and I'll update the ombudsman with any information you can share. 
    • To re-iterate and highlight my urgent question on this one: The N24 from the court did not include any instructions to submit paperwork 28 days before the date, unlike the N157 received for other smaller claims. Do I have to submit a WS for this court date? Link has!...
    • No, reading the guidance online it says to wait for a letter from the court. Should I wait or submit the directions? BTW, I assume that the directions are a longer version of the particular of claim accompanied by evidence, correct?
    • Thanks for opening, it's been another rough year for my family and I've procastinated a little.. Due to the age of my defaults on this and other accounts (circa 2021), I really need to avoid a CCJ as that will be another 6 years of credit issues. Mediation failed as I played the 'not enough info to make a decision' however during the call for some reason they did offer settlement at 80%, I refused. this has been allocated to small claims track, court date is June 3 and I've received their WS. I'm starting on my WS. They do appear to have provided everything required of them (even if docs could be reconstructions). Not really sure what my argument is anymore but I do want to attend court and see this through. Should a judgement be made against me then I will clear the balance within 30 days and have the CCJ removed - this is still possible isn't it? I'm going to be reading up today and tomorrow and hope you can provide me some guidance in the meantime. Wonder what your advice would be given the documents they have provided? I am now in a position to clear the debt either by lump sum or a few large installments - Is this something i should look into at this late stage? Thanks as always in advance
    • I have now received my SAR. It includes a great deal of information! Is there a time limit on how long account information is kept and/or can be provided to debtors? I have received many account statements which were not previously sent to me. I remember that the creditor should provide explanations of any acronyms and abbreviations that maybe used in the documents. Is this still the case? Also what, if any, are the regulations in regard to adding fees to a debt? Can fees be added to a debt after the court has approved a charge on a property. Perhaps due to the numerous owners of the debt, many payments I made were not properly recorded on the account, some were entered over a year after the payment was made! Following the Legal Charge, I paid every month until my payments were refused. I am trying to compute the over payments, but the addition of fees etc. is confusing me. Any comments and/or help would be appreciated.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Bright house going to do repair as goodwill gesture?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4310 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all. Just thought I would run this by you all.

My Acer laptop refused to start today there is power but will not even boot to the post screen.

I have had it for 18 months and its only been used for light stuff like surfing the web etc.

Anyhow i called brighthouse to see what they could do and the answer was nothing as I had had not took the "optional service cover out". There is also a clause in their contract that they only guarantee their products for 12months unles you take out optional service cover.

I argued that service cover is "optional" and by that name I didn't need it.

I also argued that because the goods were on Hire Purchase that they belonged to them and they are supposed to fix/replace faulty goods.

Still they said they could do nothing.

I called Consumer Direct (which has now changed to the Citizens advice centre or something similar) who confirmed that Caversham finance who trade as bright house are indeed responsible for faulty goods that they are financing.

I was told to write them a letter and head it under "The supply of goods (implied) terms act 1973" and explain the fault and what they would do about it allowing 7 days for a response.

I then called head office and explained this to them and also explained that I would put this in writing and if no satisfactory reply was received back in 7 days then I would take them to the small claims court.

About 15 minutes later I received a call from my local branch manager who said "we are not responsible but as a gesture of goodwill if you bring it in to the branch we will get it fixed for you"

Talk about nearly falling off my chair:!:

So I have taken it in and now have to wait up to 6 weeks for the repair to be done

I have had repairs done by them before and usually they come back in the same state or worse so I am not holding my breath.

Just thought I would share this with you and will update, Probably with informing you on how I complained about the repair :-)

Hi

I am afraid this is the usual bovine excrement from this company. Anything that is likely to cost them is to be avoided at all costs. Even to ignoring your rights under SoGA

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

• 1 month later...

Hi All Just a quick update on my Laptop.

I phoned up the store on thursday and after 6 weeks I was told that my laptop has been fixed.

Hooray I thought and told them I would be down to pick it up.

Stupid me --- Its was Bright house I was dealing with!!!!

The assistant has now informed me that it will take up to 3 weeks to be delivered back to the store.

I asked where thier service centre was and to my surprise, NO, it isn't Australia.

According to the assistant it is in Birmingham, England!!!!

I explained to her that if I walked from my house to the centre of birmingham at an average of 2 miles an hour then it would take me about 9 hours.

I also explained that there is such things out there called Vans and lorries and they go on roads - a lot quicker than I can walk

and could get from Birmingham to the store she was in, in about 20 mins.

I asked her how they could justify a 3 week delivery and she said thats what happens I cant get it any quicker.

I hung the phone up in disbelief before I started swearing, then thought , well it is Brighthouse why am I so Surprised!!

I am waiting to get it back still, Still don't know whether they have fixed it correctly

and even if it will be the same one as I sent in

If the car was deemed not fit for purpose then under the supply of goods act they would probably have to fix it. Just ask Yes car credit who tried to rip me off for 16,000 quid after I returned a car to them because it was a Knacker...... Still have the judgement papers and the appeal papers .... Case dismissed....Think that proves the point.

And I didn't use any fancy lawyers to win ... Just info off this and another site.

Please get your facts right before posting silly messages!!!!

Well my wife has just been in to pay this months installments at our local branch

and has been told that the laptop still hasnt arrived in Birmingham despite allegedly having been fixed on the 9th of June.

Think a new course of action required now.

Does anyone happen to have the CEO's email address as the customer service team are as helpful as a bucket of tadpoles (politest way I could think of putting it).

i am thinking of e-mailing him direct to see if I get a response and if not a LBA will be out in the post and if still no response then it off to court.

I am now seriously annoyed as they keep expecting me to pay for it at £14 a week.

I think 7 weeks is more than enough turn around to fix an item ... My average time for a pc is a day at the most.

they should be refunding you the weeks you have not got it!!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi DX. Would I have a legitimate claim for the 7 weeks they have charged me for hiring goods that are not working... been looking through the previous threads and couldn't see an answer to that . Could be worth around £98 in refunds if that's correct.

All would add up at the end of the day and another bit to add to the claim if it goes to court

i dont think there is any 'remit' but if it were me

i'd be cheeky!!

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Well this gets better and better. Phoned up the store again yesterday who then phoned the service centre as the laptop still hadnt arrived at the main distribution centre. The service centre alledgedly sent the laptop on the 15th June and it then goes to a "3rd Party" Nobody seems to have a number for the so called "3rd Party" so cannot chase them. ... Do you think they mean "we dont know where its gone?". I phoned up customer relations (ha Ha) who I informed that I wanted either my laptop back, a replacement laptop to the same specification and price paid or a full refund of all payments made by close of business. The guy said as this was the 1st time I had complained about the laptop, I would have to give them 48 hours for a manager to call me back to try and resolve the issue. Now i do not know what timescale Brighthouse work on but the laptop was taken in on the 4th of May after complaining to head office Just slightly over 48 hours me thinks.So next step is going to give an area manager until close of business on monday to resolve this or down to by local county court office on Tuesday and will put a claim in. What a shower of Poo heads!!!!!!!

Forgot to mention that I also told all of the people i spoke to at brighthouse that I was documenting all of this fiasco on the CAG website. They all replied that they have no knowledge of Consumer Action Group ... Like hell they havent lol

Well I got a letter off Bright house on Saturday to say that they would contact me by close of business today....No reply as yet. Hope someone from there monitors this site as they will then know, if they read this that I will be heading for my local county court tomorrow if nothing has been put in place to resolve this by 5pm today.... They have been warned:!:

I would certainly be requiring a refund for the amount of time you have not had the use of this item.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Sorry for the delay but the laptop is back... At last!!!

After a couple more irate calls to head office on Monday I got a call back after 6pm off the manager of the service centre in Manchester.

Now despite being told it had left there on the 15th of June,

He advised me that it was sitting safe and sound in a cage in their despatch are and had been for a while,

unfortunately it had been forgotton about MMMM

He promised me it would be out the next day to Birmingham and in my local Branch on Wednesday.

And guess what it actually was - Albeit after 5pm.

I picked it up from the shop thursday to find that the motherboard had been replaced

(Note to the computer expert in my branch who insisted it was a software fault.... You are an idiot!!!)

The best of it was that the manager still advised me to take OSC if I took any other items in the future as it would stop the hassle I have had.... Yeah right

I said thanks after I stopped laughing and left.

The laptop is now working fine ... had it on test for the last couple of days so after all of the hassle I can say that this is now resolved

Thankyou for all your input

Pleased to hear this is now resolved.

Are you actually purchasing this item?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Yes - Only got a few weeks to go.I have kept all of the paperwork with dates they attached to it as I presume this fix should be guaranteed for 12 months as they fitted a new board. I might be wrong though but would have a go lol

soga will cover you anyway

well done

dx

and they