taxcredit review worried sick irregular hours

emlv2000
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4374 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi there please bear with me if i waffle but will try and explain the best i can.

i have received a tax credit review letter from the serious investigation unit. scary i know.

i put down on my renewal forms every year i work 17 hours and partner s/emp 14 hours.

the trouble is i work for an agency as supply teacher and dont work 52 weeks of the year. 2011/12 i only worked 28 weeks so to get my average hours i divided my total hours 464 by the 28 weeks which gave me an average weekly hour at 16.5 hours i am however so worried that when they work out my average hours they will work it out over the 52 weeks which will make my hours less and i will lose my working tax and may have to pay back 11/12. i have got all the information they have requested payslips p60's things like that and have spoken to them on the phone to explain i only worked 28 weeks but the lady how she explained it would be worked out totally confused me even more. she calculated using my yearly amount divided by 28 weeks and have no idea what she was on about.

this is how i got my weekly average. 464hours idvided by 28 weeks = 16.58 hours

then i divided my yearly pay 3615 divided by 28 weeks= 129.10 divided by 16.5 hours gives me £7.82 per hour which is near enough for an average as i get £7 p hour i told this to the lady on the phone and she agreed it seemed correct but told me she would need to see payslips even though they have only requested 6 months payslips and p60.

can anyone advise if i have worked it out right is this the way they will work it or will they get my average hours by dividing it by the 52 weeks in which case would be only 9 hours a week hours and i would lose my working tax and be in trouble

please if you understand can someone help thanks.

here is my covering letter after my telephone call again any help would be appreciated i am worried about this.

AS per telephone call 03/05/12 with regards to my income and hours I would like to make you aware that I work for an education temporary supply agency where I work on temporary contracts from day to day when I am needed in schools to cover absence and sickness during term time only. This makes it difficult for me to estimate the set hours I work weekly as they fluctuate greatly week to week and day to day as you will see from my payslips and timesheets enclosed, also to add to this I am not guaranteed weekly work during term time so even though a school term year is 38-39 weeks during 2011/2012 I only worked 28 weeks so to get my average hours I divided all my hours worked by the 28 weeks which then gave me my average weekly hours worked of 16.5 hours I rounded this up to 17 hours to allow for half day and full day assignments where no set hours are stated. All my hours and rates of pay can be found on the payslips I have enclosed for the periods you requested 5 April 2011 to 5 July 2011 and 1 January 2012 to 5 April 2012 this however does not show all of my complete hours as it is only 6 months worth of payslips and not the full 12 months to show my full income of £3614.55

When working out my average hours and reviewing my case please take into consideration my working 28 weeks of the year and not 52 weeks and use this to help calculate my average hours as stated during the telephone conversation.

I have enclosed all the information you have requested and have also included confirmation of my contract from my agency employer stating my average working pattern I have no fixed contract with them due to me be a temporary supply worker. I am not able to send a p60 for this employment as I don’t expect to receive this until the end of may however if I receive this any sooner I will of course forward it on to you straight away however I have enclosed my last payslip for the year which shows my total pay for the year ending in this employment. During this year I also worked for a private employer on a 2 month contract and therefore have enclosed my wage slips and p45 for this period also. I hope I have sent all the information you require but if anything else is needed please contact me and I will send further documentation accordingly.

just had this reply on another forum dont understand what is meant:

even a term time onlu worker would be ecpevyrf yo work 40 weeks of the year.

i dont understand how you expect to work just over 16 hours a week for 6 months to entitle you to wtc

I think that just means they may have been drunk when they were typing! I don't know the answer either, but there are plenty of teaching assistants on working tax credits. Pretty sure some other benefits are worked out over the year, & my working tax credits is worked out over the year, i'm self employed. Hopefully someone will know for sure.