Used car, possible faults

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4369 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I have purchased a used car, and need some advice I am a bit stuck on.

It had an MoT on the morning I picked it up, 1/5/12.

The rear wiper blade however is split - should this have been a fail.

Also, the rear door seal was not replaced as agreed, I have it in writing and the garage say they will be doing this as soon as the parts come in - how long do I give them before playing up?

Finally, the garage stated it had a new cente box exhaust, should I get this checked out? I am just wondering that if the MOT should have failed for a simple thing, are there more things it should have failed on that have not been picked up?

Please can anybody advise?

Regards

Don't think the rear wiper comes under the MOT. I would give them at least 7 days to replace the door seal unless it is significantly letting in water in which case, I wouldn't have accepted the car in the first place. As for the exhaust, what makes you think it hasn't had a new centre box? Have you looked?

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Hi Sailor Sam,

Door seal is fine until they replace so that is OK then.

Rear wiper, if it doesnt fail MOT, that will explain that.

The exhause looks new, to the best of my knowledge, it is shiny and clean etc, all the welding is correct, but there appears to be a small noise coming from the exhuast section, nothing serious, but you can hear it when you accelarate.

Any ideas?

Not really, not without having a look myself! Why don't you nip it back to them and ask them to put it on a ramp and explain the noise to them?

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Rear wiper or washer is not a testable item at the moment so it could be hanging off and it would pass unless of course the tester deemed the way it was hanging off could present a hazard under general condition. New exhausts can be a bit blowy on the joints if not fitted correctly and they do take a few miles to settle down especially if fitted on a two poster ramp. They move and find a natural position. If it is still blowy after a hundred miles at operating temp then take it back and ask for it to be re-sealed.