Market Harborough Building Society Mortgage - Accident, Sickness and Unemployment Policy (ASU)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3633 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have my mortgage with Market Harborough Building Society (MHBS). It is a joint mortgage, with my wife. I have an Accident, Sickness and Unemployment (ASU) policy on me only.

I wrote to MHBS last week and suggested that the policy had been mis-sold. i have just received the following reply, signed by their Chief Executive.

I understand you think your ASU policy was mis-sold. Your policy commenced in XXX and was designed to ensure that the payments to your mortgage would have been maintained had you been unable to work due to accident, illness or redundancy (subject to the conditions outlined in the policy). ASU cover was not a compulsory requirement of the mortgage product that you chose.

I have reviewed the documentation completed at the time and can confirm that our representatives provided information to help you make an informed choice about ASU, but did not give advice on whether or not to commence this type of cover. The choice to have ASU was therefore your own, after consideration of the information provided and your own circumstances. I have enclosed a copy of the application you signed to commence the policy.

In view of the above I am unable to uphold your complaint. FOS blah, blah, blah

I genuinely cannot remember what was said by their representatives at the time. Is this the end of the matter or is there further action that I should take?

The ASU is of no benefit to me. Will I be able to cancel it so that I am not paying additional premiums?

All help and advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi

Yes you can cancel it.

You can either challenge their findings and let them know the reasons you feel you were mis-sold.

Alternatively you can raise a complaint with fos but again you will have to lodge the reasons why you feel your were mis-sold with them.

In the PPI stickies you will find a thread with "Notes for Claimants"....have a read through there because there may be other reasons why you were mis-sold that you haven't thought of

ims

If I have helped you please leave me a message by clicking my star

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

3. Reclaim Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

4. The CAG Interest Tutorial

Read Here

5. Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

6. Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

7. Thinking of a Full & Final Settlement?

Read Here

How To Upload Documents To Cag

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

• 3 months later...

I think you are being far too hasty. I had a mortgage with MHBS from January 1997 to July 2005. In July 1998 we received a letter:-

"You can now take advantage of our new comprehensive Accident Sickness and Unemployment insurance cover to protect your mortgage payments - currently at the lowest available cost in the United Kingdom.

At present you receive free unemployment cover and enjoy the additional accident & Insurance cover for £2.00 per £100 of monthly mortgage repayment. the Free unemployment cover will cease from September 1998.

The good news is that we can offer you a new insurance which includes Accident Sickness and Unemployment cover for just £1.50 per £100 of monthly mortgage repayment.

etc

This will make your current repayment XXXX and the necessary adjustment will be made with effect from your august repayment. You need take no action.

etc

George Stark

Assistant General Manager (Business Development)"

We did not have it before August 1998 and it was just added to our payments. Therefore we have pointed this out to them and have started a claim. They will no doubt say we asked for it but there is nothing in our files or mortgage application that say we wanted it at the beginning and therefore I think they are stuffed.

I can understand the hesitance if you still have a mortgage with them and like most are not exactly flush and do not want to rock the boat, but they get in more trouble if they mess you about after you have complained. They only sent you a standard kiss off letter. I have had thirty such letters over the ast year and chased everyone up and got somewhere - Ikano (Ikea card) started at 0.73p offer and are now heading for £1,000, and I get 8% from them guaranteed for their delays. Worse are M & S Money. Good job they do not run a brewery!

Edited by Fur