Council Tax Benefit - severe mental imparement

raec.1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4374 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I wonder if any one has similar problems with claiming the severe mental imparement.

I claimed for my tenant and received the 25% discount from September 2011 until January 2012. I provided a certificate from his doctor (doctor charged £10), copies of his disablement registration with the LA (dated 2008) and WTC - proof of disability element. so I thought all was in order.

In January 2012 I received an amended bill adding the discount back on again to be paid with immediate effect. Upon telephoning I was advised that the LA had approached the doctor and the doctor had confirmed that his condition was under control with medication, therefore in the eyes of the LA I am not entitled to the discount for severe mental imparement.

The ongoing saga of struggling to pay the council tax is never ending. I myself do not work and because I have a tenant am not eligable for means tested benefit. I tried another route, full time student discount. My local college advised that 16 hours was classed as full time and upon enrolling the council only acknowledge 21 hours as full time.

I thought at long last I had suceeded in reducing the dreaded council tax outlay each month as I seem to be continuously scrimping and saving to pay the monthly bill.

Any advice would be greately appreciated.

Are you on about the class u exemption? The rules are as below:

Class U - Occupied property where all liable parties are severely mentally impaired

For council tax purposes someone is considered severely mentally impaired if he/she has a severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning (however caused) which appears to be permanent. This includes people suffering from Alzheimer's disease, strokes and other similar illnesses.

If all residents are disregarded the property will be exempt.

To qualify the person's doctor must confirm the condition by signing a certificate. In addition the person must be entitled to (not necessarily receiving) one of the following benefits:

Incapacity Benefit short term or long-term rate.

Employment and support allowance

Attendance Allowance.

Severe Disablement Allowance.

The care component of a Disability Living Allowance highest or middle rate

An increase in Disablement Allowance where constant attendance is needed.

Disability element in working tax credit

An Unemployability supplement.

Constant Attendance Allowance/ Unemployability allowance payable under the industrial injuries or war pension schemes.

Income support including a disability premium because of incapacity for work

And yes 16 hours would have been classed as part time same working for 16 hours is as part time.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I made sure all was in order Doctors medical certificate, copy of confirmation that he was registered with the LA under the chronically sick and disabled persons' act and disability element of WTC.

The council wrote to the doctor asking a few questions and they have revoked the benefit stating that as his epilepsy is under control with medication he is no longer classed as severely mentally impaired. Upon contacting the council and trying to put across the side effects of the condition and medication they turned a deaf ear and came back with the answer my only option is to persuade him to stop taking medication.

I am therefore unsure if I should appeal against the decision or not, bearing in mind that he does not do paperwork and this job is left to me.

Groan, what a carry on.