Enfield Council Monopoly on dropped curb is it legal ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4252 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all ,

I am thinking of having a driveway for my house and would be interested on you views regarding Enfield councils stance insisting that only their contractors undertake the work installing a dropped kirb , Other councils it seams have no problem allowing you to appoint your own contractor providing that they meet the required standards and have the relevent insurances etc to undertake works on public highways etc Enfield council are charging around £1,200.00 to£1,500.00 to install a dropped kirb and they seem to be getting more and more expensive each year . I have lived at my present address for12 years and their prices in my road have risen from £800.00 to £1.500.00 for a days work installing the kirb, Have I a legal arguement with the council on that they have a monopoly and therefore it is unfair and also mabey illigal? Bt were forced to rent phone line to other telecoms companys ,and monopolys in other fields of buissenes are forced into sharing the market ,Your views please

Regards Jezzy

R.B.S Mastercard £7,189.00 written off default removed

NatWest Goldcard

Natwest business account

Natwest joint personal

B&Q Trade account

Debenhams store card

leeds mortgage

Nationwide

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IF YOU HAVE FOUND MY ADVICE HELPFULL PLEASE CLICK ON MY SCALES, ALL ADVICE IS GIVEN IN GOOD FAITH AND IS MY OPINION ONLY

Never had any experience on this matter, however according to directgov, it appears to be up to the council

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/homeandcommunity/whereyoulive/streetsparkingcleaningandlighting/dg_10026223

Making an application for a dropped kerb

You can contact your local council to apply for a dropped kerb. Your local council will usually carry out the work and charge you for the costs. Some councils may allow you to use a private contractor from an approved list of companies or require the contractor to meet strict legal requirements.

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Hi there ,Thanks for your reply, Interesting link , The "Some councils may allow you to use your own contractor" bit is interesting ,If it were any other service based business a monopoly would not be allowed , I estimate that I could get the same job done by a civil enginering firm for half the cost I am a builder myself and a rough estimate on materials and labour in my opinion would come to around £200.00 for materials and waste disposal , and 2 men at even a inflated £250.00 a day rate that only comes to £700.00 + council consent at £150.00 = around £850.00 Enfield council wants,,,,..

Approx

Survey and permission £150.00

Drop kirb and paving £150.00 per metre sq

New Road marking lines £150.00 (2,4 metres )

Worked it out for my kirb at around £1,500.00 for a days work!!

NatWest Goldcard

Natwest business account

Natwest joint personal

B&Q Trade account

Debenhams store card

leeds mortgage

Nationwide

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IF YOU HAVE FOUND MY ADVICE HELPFULL PLEASE CLICK ON MY SCALES, ALL ADVICE IS GIVEN IN GOOD FAITH AND IS MY OPINION ONLY

I dont think you have much choice if the council say only their contractors can do the work, you dont have any legal argument and it dosnt come uner monopolies.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Thanks for the reply, Why does it not come under monopoly's ? The council have the monopoly and have been raising the price every few years ,I have done a bit of research and it seems a lot of other councils charge a lot less for the same service! This year they are also raising the price of residents parking permits in my road from around £28.00 per year to £90.00 for the first (small) car , a 3 car family with larger cars could end up paying nearly £500.00 per year from less than £90.00! It seems really unfair that they can dictate the prices as they please there is nothing stopping them from raising their prices whenever they want, This would never be allowed ( and possibly illegal)l if it were a private company so why should the local council get away with it! I am determined to at lease explore every legal avenue on a matter of principle as I feel that this is yet again another way of extorting home owners from yet more of their hard earned ,

,Any advice gratefully accepted

NatWest Goldcard

Natwest business account

Natwest joint personal

B&Q Trade account

Debenhams store card

leeds mortgage

Nationwide

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Have you spoken with the manager of the department responsible for highway maintenance to find out why they've taken this decision? You could to an FIO request to get a breakdown of how the charges have been calculated. If they are excessive or unreasonable you can always lodge an official complain, and if neccessery take it to the Local Government Ombudsman or for Judicial Review at the High Court. It may be worth speaking or lobbying your local Councillor or the councillor in charge of this policy area, as no doubt they voted of the charges as your representatives on the council.

Th council isn't generally covered by monopoly law as its a public body created by parliament to carry out certain legal functions, and not a private company supplying goods and services.

Thanks for your input ,That will give me something to get started on, do you think a quotation from a civil engeneers company for a dropped kirb will help my cause? At least I can get a real idea of how much the actual costs are.. jezzy

NatWest Goldcard

Natwest business account

Natwest joint personal

B&Q Trade account

Debenhams store card

leeds mortgage

Nationwide

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 months later...

Hi there

.I have been busy with other things recently and have not had the time to do any research,I will however be thinking about getting my drive started in the next few months so I will start looking into it then.In my opinion Enfield council do take the p$$s one of my neigbours had a drive recently it took a day and they charged around the £1,500.00 mark .I am a builder and I estimate that the true cost roughly would be as follows

These costs are leaning on the extravagant side!! And could be done a lot cheaper.

Rubbish removal £180.00 Full 10 ton grabber lorry! I estimate max 1 1/2 ton in reality

Materials £150.00 Well over estimated

Labour £450.00 For 2 council bods or subbies with small brains paid probably if subbies around £130.00 a day each

Total £780.00

Then they want £150.00 ish for the "survey" 1 hours work!

Remove any yellow lines etc £150.00 ish 15 minutes work ,but big lorry required!!

Grand total £1,080.00

I have estimated they will charge me around £1,500.00 for my drive ,Pay a subcontractor to do it for around £800.00 (guestimate) so they pocket £700.00 ish for an hours work coming out to do a survey

Nice work if you can get it

Regards Jezzy

NatWest Goldcard

Natwest business account

Natwest joint personal

B&Q Trade account

Debenhams store card

leeds mortgage

Nationwide

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]