cavity wall insulation guarantee

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3069 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I recently purchased a house which I am carrying out renovations to. The House had cavity wall insulation fitted in 1999, it carries a 25 year guarantee. Both the original installation company and the CIGA guarantee are in operation.

In starting the renovations we stripped some walls back to brick, exposing cavities around the windows. The cavity wall insulation is patchy in places and there is none at all in some areas (Big area). Also the Air bricks on the first floor were not sealed.

Before I contact the installer and CIGA I imagine they may try to wriggle on condition 2 of the policy

" The guarantee is not valid if the installation has been altered or disturbed after the installation was completed."

What would you suggest should be a reasonable counter should this occur? Because without exposing the cavity it would, without a thermal camera or signs of damp, been impossible to tell these issues existed! Yet condition 2 seems to be a catch all..?

I am in the process of raising the insulation to try to achieve Enerphit standard so I would hope that they would come back and refill the cavity properly under the guarantee.

Edited by juliusceasor

The air bricks were room ventilation only not floor or roof ventilation. Windows were/are double glazed with trickle vents, to be changed for new windows later.

Edited by juliusceasor

Ok - I would say under the warranty scheme you should make a claim for restitution.

It might be worth having a close read of the warranty as it might mention that it can't be guaranteed to cover the whole area. You should take pictures of the empty spaces as well for the record and should you need them at some time in the future.

I didn't pay for the installation the previous owner did so Restitution wouldn't apply, would it?

The new policy gauarntee on the CIGA website is different from mine slightly but essentially the same.

These notes are for general guidance only, and you should refer to the CIGA guarantee for precise details of the cover on your installation. Each certificate has a unique number which should be quoted on all correspondence

Any claim under the Guarantee must be notified to CIGA within 25 years of the installation date.

All problems relating to the installation must be reported to teh installer as soon as practicable and CIGA must be informed if the matter is not resolved satisfactorily within 2 months.

The guarantee is not valid if the insulation has been altered or disturbed.
-
This is similar but refers to the insulation rather than installation.

Your statutory rights are not affected by the guarantee.

The guarantee remains valid for subsequent owners or occupiers of the property.

The maximum value of rectification work is £15,000.-
Mines £10,000

Ah - sorry, but you can get it sorted under the guarantee. Which is why it is wise to have pictures, would the gaping hole you have found be classed as satisfactory by a normal person, no, so have a look at the sale of goods act as regards to 'fit for purpose' and 'of satisfactory quality'.

Yes I agree I should be able to but were they to argue the clause 2 then my argument would be that the work I did may have disturbed some of the insulation but it could not have rendered the guarantee invalid because there is clearly areas where no insulation material was blown in. And yes under the sales of goods act then the original installation clearly was not fit for purpose or of satisfactory quality. Would you expect that to suffice along with photographs I really don't want to battle this through and hopefully I wont have to but a robust assertion of my rights to start should dissuade them from that approach was my thought?

Thank you for your assistance and congrats on the forthcoming 10,000.

Thank you -

It depends on how much fight and if you think what is there is not value for money. Your choices are to give them a ring and ask for an inspection and see what they say, or/and get another company to give you a written quote for bringing up to standard.

You can then ask the original company to do the work or if they fail, get it done by another company and send the bill to them with refusal to pay ending up in court. If it's less than £5,000 that can be done on line simply and at very low cost.

I think I would call the company that did the original job and ask them out and then take it from there.