style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3339 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Faulty hdd in 6 month old Sony laptop.

Pc world sent laptop to sony for replacement drive.

Job took approx ten days.

However, I was under the impression I would get the faulty drive back so I could recover the data.

Who does the faulty hdd legally belong to?

Sony want over £200 to send back the drive IF they can locate it.

Can I make the company pay to send the drive back?

I also signed their service docket agreeing to the t and cs.

Do I have any rights?

typically data recovery is an extra paid for service

which i think shold have either been offered or asked for

might be an idea to ask the rep on here:

you will not be able to PM

this gent

please follow the info below:

Hi Guys,

you can contact me at http://getsatisfaction.com/curryspcworld/

I will be able to chat to you further from there.

Kind Regards,

PaulThe KNOWHOW Team

or

Thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forum.

I am sorry to read of the trouble that you have experienced

If you would like to email me at [email protected] with your agreement details and postal details and tel number,

I will look into this for you to see what I can do to resolve this.

Kind Regards,

Paul

The KNOWHOW Team.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

10 days, how disgusting, it take 4 minutes to change the hdd, I've timed it.

I assume 10 days is reasonable length of time considering it had to go to Sony and back again. I asked them to change the drive in store to which they replied it would be a chargeable job. I just need to know who technically owns the faulty hdd?????

Not gospel but I would say they do. You bought one laptop with one hard drive, you have one laptop and one hard drive, minus the data, but that might not have been recoverable anyway.

The customer service of the likes of PcWorld really stinks, you should have been warned that it could mean data loss.

Why anyone uses them I will never know, there are cheaper alternatives.

There would be some form for of commercial indemnity between them so they will return the drive to the manufacturer.

Edited by Conniff

I didn't want to pay for the data recovery

I just really need to know if I'm entitled to the drive back, no point in pursuing if I'm not legally entitled to the drive back!!

You're not entitled to it back at all.

Also, 10 days is more than reasonable!

By day, computer and mobile phone technical support... by night home mechanic and Rover / MG enthusiast!

Cars: 1998 Rover 620ti

Computers: HP nc8430 Business Notebook, Apple iPhone 3GS 16GB

Guest Paul - CurrysPCWorld

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to post up on CAG and I'm very sorry you had an issue with your laptop. I can confirm that CCMRob12 is correct, you would not be entitled to your old hard drive back. My apologies if this was not the response you were hoping for.

Kind regards,

Paul

The KNOWHOW Team

Well there you have it straight from the horses mouth and just to prove what I said about their customer service stinks, that just says hard luck and stuff it, no 'yes we should have warned you etc and here is a £10 voucher to say sorry'.

Next time shop elsewhere, somewhere where there is customer service and you have change in your pocket.

Guest Paul - CurrysPCWorld

Hi Conniff,

Thanks for posting up, I am sorry you feel that way. I can assure you we are not just saying 'hard luck', it is a matter of what the customer is entitled to or not. I certainly appreciate your thoughts that the colleague ideally should have advised that the HDD may need to be backed up. It is always prudent to do this regularly, not just when going in for repair, and it is the customers responsibility to ensure this is done as a safeguard.

To Fairynothing, again I am very sorry that the advisor did not make you aware on this occasion, I will make sure this is fed back for you so we can ensure this sort of issue is minimised as much as possible in future.

Kind regards,

Paul

The KNOWHOW Team

To Fairynothing, again I am very sorry that the advisordid not make you aware on this occasion, I will make sure this is fed back foryou so we can ensure this sort of issue is minimised as much as possible infuture.

That's better, that's all it needed.

Faulty hdd in 6 month old Sony laptop.

Pc world sent laptop to sony for replacement drive.

Job took approx ten days.

However, I was under the impression I would get the faulty drive back so I could recover the data.

Who does the faulty hdd legally belong to?

Sony want over £200 to send back the drive IF they can locate it.

Can I make the company pay to send the drive back?

I also signed their service docket agreeing to the t and cs.

Do I have any rights?

Only the OP can answer that, but I think the bold line says he wasn't told the data would be lost.

6 of 1 half a dozen of the other...

it isnt really going to help the OP to be picky tho is it.

Paul is it possible to talk to sony to get a more realistic price for the hard drive, call it cmr service but from an engineers point of view that is over the top even with transport costs.

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek: