Problems with work, eyesight, sick pay etc

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3294 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi!

Following the tale of woe I chronicled about my first eye-operation, I never got back the lost salary of my employer but went back to work during October 2011.

Unfortunately I have only the use of my good right eye to drive to my job and carry out my duties with, and during December 2011 the sight in that started to fail as well, again due to non-diabetic cataract, resulting in multiple ghostly images in my vision at night which progressed to the point where, on 28 December 2011 following a stressful Audit Knowledge test, I had to report sick from the stress because the audit had affected my right eye even more, and was signed off for two weeks for Work-Induced-Stress until 11 January 2012.

When this first note expired, it was clear the sight in my good right eye was deteriorating much more rapidly due to the cataract, so my GP examined me and gave me a further five-week note to cover me until 1 week after my operation date, scheduled for 13 February 2012.

The operation to remove the cataract in what had been my good right eye was performed on 13 February 2012 but it was NOT a complete success, as I was left with badly distorted vision in my right eye at night, with car-headlamps looking like crescent-moon shapes and the orange illuminated dot-indicators on buses etc., being totally unreadable!

My right eye has been in this condition ever since the operation nearly five months ago, and two visits to the eye-clinic and the Midlands Eye Centre have failed to find a cause or cure.

My Empoyer paid me approx normal salary for January, about £1215 for February, but only £268 for March, made up of £881.85 SSP from which they deducted £665.60 for 9 days overpayment, leaving me with £171 for the whole of March from which an £89 tax credit was added making £268.40.

Querying this with with HR has proved totally fruitless, they insisted the £268 was all I was entitled to and they weren't, under any circumstances, prepared to offer me any more help and support to get me back to work, which is 40 miles from my home address and only accessible by car because of the shift-times. Furthermore they stated they reserved the right to take me to court for "9 days salary" which they've supposedly deducted already!

I have been signed off sick continuously since my operation on the 13 February, but my last sick-note expired on 23 April, I was able to get 3 days holiday leave to cover me to the 26th. (This is the employer that refuses to let anyone see their holiday-planner and my TL refused me any leave after the 26th)

However during March I was invited by a friend to another country who sponsored me and organised all my travel arrangements, with a view to getting a pair of glasses there and my eyes tested much more cheaply and quickly than in the UK, and on seeing the local doctor there for the eye-test he examined my right eye and immediately said the operation in the UK had been bodged! - however he wrote a glasses-prescription which I'm getting made up before I return home that he's confident will cure the distorted vision.

The upshot of all this is is that when I return home to the UK, I will have three days absence (27th, 30th April and 1st May) not covered by a sick-note which my employer will treat as unauthorised absence with serious disciplinary consequences!

My HR washed all their hands totally of helping me get back to work - they wouldn't even help me with a UK eye test!!! They insisted it was up to me to make myself fit to go back by whatever means I wished but they would only back that up with threats if I was not back by last Friday the 27th!

There is a UK scheme to help with glasses/sight tests for a low income and I've used this before, but it would have taken me till June to get new glasses that way!

Sorry for all this woe, can anyone advise me or is my job likely to be a goner this time?! Should I see a CAB etc., first? I have no idea wether anythong was paid to me for the month of April as my bank account isn't accessible abroad - it's only a basic one!

I have another friend who'll take me to work with pleasure but he's away on holiday himself for three more weeks!

Edited by Chris56000

Diabetes is interesting, legally.

Type 2 isn't classed as a disability, but type 1 is. It's the substantial effect which differs between the two. However, the resulting symptoms could mean you're disabled.

Can you get a sick note to cover the three days absence?

I'm endevouring to get a sick-note from tha local doctor where I'm staying overseas at the moment, before I return to the UK tomorrow but I've a nasty feeling my employer will refuse to accept it and my home GP is very uppity about back-dating sick-notes!

I don't want to post any details of the location where I am as it could cause potential problems for other good colleagues at my employers - who really are horrible people to deal wth!

Have you been told about Access to work? They can help with cost of transport to and from work. Also, if your sight is severe enough for you to be unable to drive, (you can drive if blind in one eye) you can get a bus pass from your local council.

• Haha 1