Barclaycard/CapQuest threat-o-grams

Ros1609
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3090 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I got a letter from CapQuest last week stating I owed Barclaycard £450 odd. I thought I had paid the card off and closed my account so checked my credit report and its showing as me being in debt.

To cut a long story short I paid off the balance and asked Barclaycard to close my account. I didn't put the request in writing (first mistake I know), I asked them to close the account over the phone. I then moved house and didn't hear anything else from them, not even through the mail redirect I had in place for three months.

My card was due for renewal in December 2010 but by then I had a toddler and a young baby to look after and my marriage had fallen apart so kinda had other things on my mind then my Barclaycard. I assume the new card was sent to my old address and the new tennant there has had a shopping spree at my expense.

First I hear of the debt is when CapQuest contacted me so I sent them a letter asking them to prove I owe Barclaycard the money. If its an oversight on my part then I will pay but I'm not going to enter a debt repayment plan if I don't owe the money in the first place. (Didn't tell them that, just sent a letter template I got off the National Debt Helpline's website) I got a letter from them today which looks like a pretty standard response telling me to request statements from Barclaycard at a cost of £10

So what so I do now? Presume I contact Barclaycard and pay for the statements firstly as that will show when I paid the balance off and how this debt has racked up. But if it is the new tennant having a shopping spree how do I prove it? I could contact my old Landlord and ask for them to confirm the tennancy dates but would that be enough?

Any help would be much appreciated

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi and welcome to CAG

I would tell Capquest to do one!

Then, deal with Barclaycard. If you don't have all your statements, a SAR may be needed but I would try complaining to BC first.

If (as I suspect they will) fob you off, reclaim the charges, that must be all this debt is, will nullify the balance

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Well so far I have received two letters, a text message and three phone calls from CapQuest. I didn't reply to the text, missed two of the calls and rejected the third. In the letter I wrote to them I stated I would like all communication to be via letter. Have been reading a few other threads on here and if they call again I shall tell them again all communication is to be written.

I don't have any statements. I thought the account was closed. I shall do that SAR request as well as complaining directly to Barclaycard. on Monday. Do you think I should advise CapQuest I am disputing this debt with Barclaycard and copy them in on the SAR request? Thinking it might save them calling/writing to me or will they not pay any attention and keep at it anyway?

no ignore crapest.

i'll be PENALTY charges anyhow.

so reclaiming will be your game.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

You will need all your statements to work out what to reclaim. I know the debt is £450 odd but there must have been a bill paid or some interest from your last proper statement which wasn't added before you paid it off.

As you haven't paid anything to this since closing the account, I don't think you can claim the interest as well, just get them to cancel the charges.

The SAR is a Data Protection Request meaning that you want copies of the data BC have and that includes statements

It may even show whether you had PPI on that you didn't know about

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

I sent CapQuest a letter basically saying I have no knowledge of this debt etc etc.

They wrote back to me last week and today, first letter was actualyu quite useful,

they gave me the address to write to Barclaycard to request the SAR.

Second letter received today wants me to supply them with proof of my identity and proof of residence at the time the account was opened.

I'm guessing I give them neither?

I just need to print off the SAR request and send it via recorded delivery to Barclaycard

am thinking of printing off two copies and sending one to CapQuest with a covering letter to update them

and add in a paragraph saying I won't be supplying any ID/proof of address??

I humbly refer you to post 2 and post 5 :-)

If you wish to contact them, I would send the 'Prove It' letter that is in the library (top left) This ensures you do not admit anything to them. In fact, any letter sent to anyone demanding money, I would head, "I acknowledge no debt to you nor any company you claim to represent"

These threats of doorstep collectors and further action are meant to scare you. That is their intention so that you start jumping to their tune.

Anybody that has no right to come to your door can be told to get off your property and if they fail to remove themselves, you call the cops. I bet that once you pick up the phone, they scarper PDQ

Ok so new plan. Request the SAR from Barclaycard and send the 'do not phone/visit' letter to CapQuest. I have no intention of 'jumping to their tune' but I have two very young children so don't want a visit if at all possible. I used to see a few doorstep collectors where I used to live and some of them didn't look very nice

WHY are you conntinuing to play letter tennis with crapest?

the more you dangle a carrot the more they'll target you.

the are a DCA with NO LEGAL POWERS

IGNORE THEM.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 2 weeks later...

and deal directly with Barclaycard. Well I sent a SAR request to Barclaycard and haven't had anything back, didn't bother sending a copy to Capquest.

Had a letter off them last week requesting copies of my ID and proof of residency which I ignored. Today I've had a 'letter before action' telling me I've failed to deal with the matter and they are now progressing my account to their pre litigation system.

It goes on to say they will seek an Order of the Court and a Warrant of Execution and send the bailiffs round incurring additional fees

Soo err what do I do now??

ignore

std threat-o-gram

keep to one thread please.

dx

and they

If I were you, I would send a letter to Barclaycard chasing the SAR and entering into a dispute with them. Send Capquest a copy of the letter and advise that you will not be communicating with them, while the account is in dispute with Barclaycard.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

If I were you, I would send a letter to Barclaycard chasing the SAR and entering into a dispute with them. Send Capquest a copy of the letter and advise that you will not be communicating with them, while the account is in dispute with Barclaycard.

Thank you. I've resent Barclaycard a copy of the SAR with a covering note saying I first sent it by recorded delivery on the 9th May and have enclosed proof of postage. I've sent CapQuest a letter advising them of this and that I will only communicate with them in writing once Barclaycard have complied with my request