Poor advice has cost me over £7k - Unsure where to put this - Advice needed!

GSMGuy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4381 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not sure where to post this, so if need be, can a mod pls move to more appropriate section..

Basically, it concerns a new house purchase, at a particularly traumatic time, and it would appear now, looking back, that we were not given the best advice.

To cut a long story short, on our prev home, we remortgaged with Rooftop (I know...) which completed on 07th July 2005 - There was an early redemtion penalty of a whopping 6% (£8345.40) which we were aware of, during the first TWO years, aftger this, it reduced to a more normal 1% or 4 weeks notice, which we were happy with, as we were not intening to move in the near future.

On 31st March 2007, Mrs GSMGuy gave birth to our Son, who sadly passed away on 06th April 2007. Obviously, we were devastated, and Mrs GSMGuy refused to even enter what was to have been the nursery at out (old) home. As a result of this, and to occupy minds and thoughts etc, we went house hunting, and settled on a nice (new) David Wilson home, which as part of the deal would include a part-ex of our old home.

So a mortgage app was made through a broker, and approved (this time a prime-rate/lender) and the offer was forwarded to David Wilson's appointed solicitors in order for them to proceed. ObviouslyMrs GSMGuy, myself and our other children were still all grieving, but at the same time, looking towards a fresh start.

Now, at all times, the timescales were set by DWH's sols, as there was no chain, so to speak, and we were ready to move when they were. as it was we completed our new mortgage on 27th June 2007, and promptly moved into our new home. Obviously, at the time, money was a very minor issue in our lives (luckily)

Have just been clearing out some paperwork, one item of which was a bundle from DWH's Sol confirmong setlement of old mortgage/completion of new one - It was then that it struck me... The early redemption fee of £8345.40 is clearly shown on the mortgage redemption statement... Meaning that is what we paid... The solicitor was in receipt of a copy of our original offer of the (old) mortgage, as I had faxed it through, so she had the details to hand...

The issue??? Well, had we been advised to wait just over a week before completion - Which wasn't a problem, as there was no chain, then the redemption figure would have been £7000 less...

Do we have any sort of case??

Advice welcomed please...

Many thanks..

Mike