style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4353 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My Father lives in a retirement apartment managed by Peverel Retirement.

All corridors are carpeted using the only carpet Peverel will use - made by Heckmondwyke.

All corridors have fire doors fitted at regular intervals.

A section of carpet has recently been stained. The House Manager requested Heckmondwycke to visit and try to remove the stain. This they did but was unsuccessful.

Peverel claimed off the insurance which they demand my Fathers development has, through their own brokers, Kingsborough, which is part of the same group of companies as Peverel and get paid extortionate commission to use Zurich. The Insurance have come back to Peverel and said they will pay for replacement carpet - between fire doors. They say their policy is to replace carpet only up to thresholds.

Unfortunately, Heckmondwycke, insisted upon by Peverel, no longer do the carpet which the Development have, which is about 5 years old. So the Development will have to have two different carpets down a corridor.

Halfway down the corridor is a lift. The residents have tried to be reasonable and asked if the insurance will pay down to the lift lobby, but they have refused.

Is their anything they can do to get matching carpet? Its going to look a real mess.

You will need to check your father's policy to find out whether he has purchased insurance that covers his lease agreements. Bring this up with the claims handler if you haven't already. When one requires a specific brand replacement, I recommend having this scheduled on a policy and paying a premium for it. If this were my situation I would send a copy of the tenant agreement or a letter from Peverel stating their required brand. This should allow you to ask for a cash payment based on either third party quotations you obtain or what the loss adjuster has assigned as a reasonable sum. It will be up to you to pay the difference if he doesn't have the cover. Best wishes.

Thanks Forwhatitsworth for your prompt reply.

Reading my post again, I don't think I made the problem clear. Sorry for any confusion.

The residents will have the same brand of carpet as a replacement, but because that pattern is not available any more, it will be a different pattern. This will be laid in the middle of a long stretch of original patterned carpet. It will be between the thresholds of two fire doors, which is where the insurance company say their policy states that they work to.

With reference to the insurance policy, Peverels own broker has arranged the policy, so hopefully they have covered everything!

No that I hope I have explained it more clearly, have you any further advice please?

Thanks again

The answer in my opinion, is that it is not unreasonable to have slightly different carpets fitted. The Insurers won't pay to replace the whole run.

The only think that the Policyholder could do, is enter into a dispute, saying that they will look to involve the FOS, unless an amicable solution can be reached. It may be that the residents, will have to pay a contribution towards undamaged areas, as the Insurers won't pay the full cost of the undamaged areas.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you all for you prompt replies.

Obviously my Father and other residents will not be happy with your replies as its not what they wanted to hear!

But somehow I don't think they will give up!

Kind regards