Car problem

Yam950
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4364 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Last weekend we sold acar to some people we know.

The week before it broke down and the AA came out to my hubby. The head gasket had gone but the AA man said it looked fine other than that!

Head gasket was replaced and also a new water pump put in as it had a slight leak. Tope end was clean as.

Once car was running and had a little service we put it up for sale as hubby really wanted a van.

Acquaintances decided they wanted to buy it. We explained what had happened that it had a bit of a rattle and might need looking at becsaue engine management light was on but this could be becasue of the head gasket going and would need a garage to turn it off.. Also car has moon and back miles on it. Acquaintances said they wanted it and even insured it before coming to look at it and take it for a drive. We knocked £100 off because of all this sale was £500

They had it a week then yesterday got a text saying engine was knackered.When i asked what had happened was told that car had a rattle on sunday was taken to a garage on monday and acquaintances were told engine was knackered, it had an oil leak, the electrics wanted doing and the engine could blow at any time. Husband is car savvy and said he couldnt understand it as it seemed fine.

Was told it might cost £600 to fix or a new engine adn that car was left at garage as was told unsafe to drive.

We did some research and have priced up a reconditioned engine with warranty and fitting for between £250 adn £320. We have offered to pay for the engine.

Acquaintances have said they will wait and see what their garage says. I rang their garage today and asked what problem was. The man said the engine had seized, then said it hadnt but it was about to blow. I asked how he knew this and he said, because it was knocking. I asked if he had actually looked at it, he said no but he could tell from the noise it was making. I asked where the oil leak he said it had was he said he didnt know.....if he hasnt looked at it how can he tell?

I texted acquaintances today and told them that we would pay on credit card towards any repair bill - their garage doesnt take cards cash only apparently.

I said we would collect the car, take it to a reputable garage that DOES take credit cards, get it looked at and if necessary pay for the new engine. I have been told that they now want to wait to see waht their garage say and that i can give them £250 towards the repairs!!

Errrr....no!! The offer is reputable garage instpection and any repairs, or if necessary new engine. Not to pay some backstreet garage cash for a job we can get sorted for half the price or give them cash!

We feel bad enough that the car is apparently rubbish, and have offered to sort it, but it appears that this isnt acceptable.

Do we have to give them cash? We dont have it as hubby bought a van with what they paid for the car. I can pay on my card though but it appears they want the cash.

The car went in on monday and STILL hasnt been looked at. We would have had this sorted by now, and forgive me for being cynical but if i bought a car and this happened and then the seller offered to sort it id be snapping their hand off.

Where do we stand on this one?

Thanks folks.

Dont give them cash, your offer to pay for the repair at a reputable garage is absolutly reasonable, you are totally in the right, you told th ebuyers of the problems you had, they still bought the car, the new problems may not even have been your fault, to offer to pay for repairs is in my opinion genwerous.

I think you are right to stcik to waht you have offered, proper garage and pay by card.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Well you have already gone beyond your legal obligations as far as I can see. I'm assuming this is a private sale and you are not trading cars so the SOGA will not apply. Unless you deliberately miss-described the car, you are not legally obliged to do anything at all.

However, now you have offered help, it should be the case where you arrange repairs (this is how it would be if you were a trader). You should be offered the opportunity to rectify thus mitigating your losses. So basically if your 'acquaintances' choose have the work carried out elsewhere despite your more than generous offer, them leave them to it. They have no legal comeback on you in any event.

In a nutshell, I would inform them that if they want you to pay to have the repairs done, then it has to be at a garage of your choosing.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Could you not ask the AA for a copy of the report that they did and use this as any evidence you may need?

There is no point. They do not need evidence. Presumably they will have an invoice showing the head gasket replacement if they need to show anything at all.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Thanks everyone. We really want to help, but cant give them the money back as hubby bought a van with it so we dont have it.It was a private sale, we dont buy and sell cars...i doubt we'd ever sell one again after this lolWe gave them the receipts and everything for the head gasket and water pump sot hey knw that was done 2 days before they bnought it.Thanks again x

• 2 weeks later...

is there recourse from the place that did the head gasket? was the engine already on its way and should it have been spotted, so you wouldn't have spent that money on a repair, but an engine at that point, and wouln't be under pressure now...?