garage sold me car with problems without informing me, caused more damage when i sent it back for repair..

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3347 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'll try and keep my story brief!

for my birthday last year (June 2011) my parents gave me some money towards a 2nd hand car. i found the "perfect" one online and went to see it with my elder brother. everything seemed to be fine with it so i paid a deposit and waited for him to finish some cosmetic work on it (eg- upholstery cleaning etc). i was told the car was a Cat C or D (i cant quite remember) but basically there was damage to the side of the car which i was told was superficial and it had been repaired with no visible signs.

i paid for the car and after a few weeks of driving i noticed there was an oil leak and a broken air filter pipe. the air filter pipe was broken and simply put close together so you couldnt see any damage and attached with a little wire .so i took the car back saying that he must have known about it (also saw his colleague fiddling with air filter pipe but wasnt sure what he was doing) as it was so soon after purchasing and he agreed to fix it free of charge- which would indicate that he was aware that he was liable for selling me the vehicle in a state of damage.

when i went to collect the vehicle he asked me to check the car over and tell me if i was happy, i said it seemed okay but as i am not an expert i would have someone else check it. driving it home, my car felt shuddery and engine was shaking. i stopped at halfords to get some engine oil and had one of the staff look at it and he told me something was definitely wrong with it.

i had to pay £35 for diagnostics with a reputable garage the next day and was told there was problems with various parts of the car. i left my vehicle with them for repair and asked them to fix any damages, check over the whole vehicle and provide me with an update on what was wrong.

· Cylinder No 1 misfiring

· Damaged Air Box

· New spark plugs, engine cam sensor

· Replacement front brake pads

Also when i received the quote of approx £260 (i do not have actual quote to hand at this point), i was told that each of the tyres where only secured by 2 nuts rather than the usual 4. wondering how there was so much damage seeing as i received an MOT cert dated the month before i bought it.

i have contacted consumer direct and was told to write a letter to the seller to his home address and mention: TheSupply of Goods and Services Act 1982 stating that work should becarried out with reasonable care and skill.

i wrote this letter and sent it in mid Aug 2011, i only knew his first name and address.

since then i have not been able to send a follow up to this letter due to personal circumstances.

my question is: (1) how can i find out sellers surname in order to include in the next letter/if i cant find it, would this halt my complaint?

(2) do you think the delay since the first letter would nullify my complaint?/make it less valid?

(3) is it likely that i will get my expenses recovered?

im really worried about this whole incident and ive had it in my mind over the past year! im a student on a low income and had to borrow the money for repairs from family so would really like to get this sorted and have some closure!

thanks in advance for any replies:) again sorry for the lengthy backstory!

Not following up for almost a year wouldn't necessarily nullify your claim but I would say that you have no hope whatsoever of any recompense. Write to the seller and even if he remembers who you are, he will just deny any liability.

You could be on a long and expensive road hoping for anything after all this time.