Someone is using my surname when fare dodgying on the Bus/Train network

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4385 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

This is becoming quite distressing now, for the last 6 of a repeat offender has been using fictitious names including my surname when giving his/her details to fare inspectors, so we have been receiving letters from TFL/Collectors on the fine etc.

Is there anything we can do, as this has happened 4 times now in the last 6 months, even if they can take a picture of the offender that would be really ideal as this is becoming quite ridiculous.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi All,

This is becoming quite distressing now, for the last 6 of a repeat offender has been using fictitious names including my surname when giving his/her details to fare inspectors, so we have been receiving letters from TFL/Collectors on the fine etc.

Is there anything we can do, as this has happened 4 times now in the last 6 months, even if they can take a picture of the offender that would be really ideal as this is becoming quite ridiculous.

Hello there.

Do you have a previous thread about this that your post could be linked to please? I think we may need a bit more information in order to advise you.

Are you saying that someone is giving your name and address when they have avoided paying a fare? And I just wondered how you know it's one repeat offender and not several people.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi All,

If someone is using your name regularly to avoid rail fares on the same company services, one pro-active approach is get a recent head & shoulders photograph of yourself with your name, address & date of birth written on the back, and send it to the rail company with a letter explaining the problem.

A clear photocopy of your driving licence will do if you have one. You should also copy your letter to the British Transport Police responsible for the area where the problem is occurring and in your letter ask them to ensure that all ticket staff are advised that you have been the repeated victim of an impostor and should a person come to light without a valid ticket and giving your name and address details, you are asking that the Police detain him in relation to suspected identity theft.

They may not be able to do so because Police are not always at hand in these cases, but it is about the only thing that you can do to help yourself. I have heard many people in the past say 'Why the hell should I do that?' Well, you need not, but as the Inspectors on any train may have seen some (maybe ficticious) identity document, they will continue to report accordingly and you could post your letter to the rail company without a stamp. They will then have to pay the postage excess, which may concentrate the mind and may help to prevent further letters.

I note that you say the offender is only giving your surname and that doesn't really amount to full identity theft, but I can understand how annoying it might be. In practice, if you continue receiving letters that are not factually addressed to you after having written to the TOC & BTP, the best thing to do is simply mark 'Return to sender - not known' and pop them back in the post.

It doesn't matter if there is no return address on the outside of the envelope, if it isn't actually addressed to you it's best not to open it. Royal Mail are authorised to open the letters and will then seal in a special envelope to return to the sender.

Edited by Old-CodJA