DCAs quick question

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3630 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I imagine there is some fee to pay.. Suggest you just ignore them anyway :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

There is a fee. Some take your first month, or even first two months payment in it's entirety. There is then an on-going monthly fee and in some circumstances, the creditors get as little as 10% of the amount you pay each month.

From very recent personal experience, they are (or can be) completely clueless, don't really know what they are doing and are better avoided.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

How long did you last make a payment or acknowledge the debt?

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

It varies. Sometimes they buy the whole debt, sometimes they just act on behalf of the creditor. Is the debt on your credit reference file?

:wink:

No, get your credit file (there are actually 3 CRA's - Experian, Equifax and Call Credit) and see if the debt is entered on there by anyone.

Thinking about it, you'd be better off starting a new thread in the Debt Collection part of the forum - I can only give you very basic advice about getting the ball rolling, but there are highly knowledgeable peeps around who will be able to take a look at your story and advise you if you can reclaim PPI etc in order to reduce the debt.

• 1 month later...

Advice needed, I am applying for a Debt Relief Order. Some one who has one would be the best person to ask. First question do you send off the actual credit file , or do you just send the details.

Secondly, are your debts written off or just put on hold for a year. If so what is stopping a dca on the 366 day start chasing you again? I am caught between a rock and a hard place. I owe Santander £367 in an old account but the have done nothing it about for two years do you let sleeping dogs lie?

do it via the CAB, they will help you with the whole process and contact all your debts to ask them to hold all interest and come to an agreement.

they will send off for a code from the credit history people, you will get a letter stating such code. immediately either phone your appointed advisor at the CAB or go in if they are local to you and show them it.

what you will need to do is find out WHICH debts you will need to reduce in order for the DRO to successful go through when the total debt is below 15k

if you are with Wessex water , they have a payment scheme. which is a very good scheme.

We are currently going through the process to bring down the debt to just under 15k, and the Wessex water scheme reduced the bill from £544 to just £105 which helped us a lot.

accounts if included with the dro such as electric and the water, you will be given a new account. You will also need to go open a new bank account with people like nationwide BEFORE you do the DRO.

when the amount has been reduced to below 15k, you will need £90 for the order, but you will go over the debts you have to ensure its ok to go through it, otherwise if it doesn't go through that will be £90 wasted and you wont be able to apply again for 6 years.

so the next option would be bankruptcy, which is i think £470

edit:

after the first 12 months the debts are then WRITTEN OFF, in the inital 12 months they are "frozen", from what i understand by law when you have successful gained the DRO no collection agency can chase you, and if they do, simply contact your CAB advisor, if they ie the agency phones you, be poilte and calm but tell them you are in contact with the CAB and calmly state you now put the phone down and NOTHING else.

ill put it this way, we are in such a rough place for everybody in the uk within our economy, dont suffer in silence. if you have ANY debt that bring under the 15k mark i would take this chance and add everything, make that fresh start.

Edited by MathewLisett

the credit file is for you and CAB to see if theres any outstanding tuff that maybe shouldnt be on there or stuff you need to sort out. the credit file never goes to the people you own a debt to.

the CAB contacts the people you own a debt too not you as this eases the pressure from your shoulders.

but its your responsibiltiy to know what debts you have, from rent through to mortagaes.

and its 15000 not 12000 that you need to be under.

Hi Fulhamboy

The above is substantially correct (I've done a few DROs). The credit file check is to validate the current level of alleged debts to the Insolvency service. The process is very straightforward and done on-line by a DRO intermediary (eg CAB). A word of warning is that if you have naughty buggers adding charges etc what you think is under 15k may appear to be more than 15k, so check yourself before handing over 90 quid and get it comfortably under 15k.

Good luck.

love

vic

Good afternoon, info needed concerning a DCA

Has any one heard of a DCA called CARS operating out of Basingstoke?

Secondly, can any one explain why dosen' t a dca chasing a debtor just go straight to court and get a ccj issued rather than send letter after letter if they have the details ect?

Hi, CARS are well known here.

Court action should only be taken

after all other methods of collection

have failed to resolve the matter,

a judge would want to see the process.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

This company have been around for some time. Generally debt collectors only make noises and print colourful letters. Debts are very often kicked around from one DCA to another. In many cases all they have is the original name of the creditor and an amount, they very often do not have paperwork or indeed a payment history. In most cases although ther are some exceptions court action is only instigated by the original creditor. However, it very much depends on the amount at stake whether or not it is worth the bother or indeed the risk of challenge as more and more people these days defend such actions

So do the DCA inform the creditor first or do it off their own back?

I have looked round various posts cannot see anything concerning cars.

wrote to them saying debt in dispute do not phone , letters keep coming

what is annoying is I keep them in the loop by letter, but just ignore my request to hold fire, Perhaps I shouldn' t be so polite

A list should be compiled on this website,

The worst top ten DCA.s.

One last question if you go to court where does the money go to the creditor or dca ?

A list should be compiled on this website, The worst top ten DCA.s. One last question if you go to court where does the money go to the creditor or dca ?

It was considered, but no one could figure out how to get them all on the number 1 spot.

In answer to your question, it depend if the debt is still owed by the creditor or has been bought by the dca.

• 1 month later...

if any of your debts have had discount letters then time to forget that debt totally

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...