• Tweets

• I can only speak from personal experience. But a similar thing happened to me. Seriously dented door.  I made the other insurance pay. They regarded it as a write off. Took the money, replaced the door. Never heard anything more about it.    Except clearly someone sold my details to claims company, because I got loads of calls in bad English for a few month's 
    • The incident was 03rd March 2024 - and that was the only letter that I have received from MET 15th April 2024 The charge I paid was at the Stansted Airport exit gate (No real relevance now - I thought this charge was for that!!).   Here is the content of email to them (Yes I know I said I was the driver !!!!) as said above -  I thought this charge was for that!! "Stansted Airport" Dear “To whom it may concern” My name is ??  PCN:  ?? Veh Reg: Date of Incident: 03rd March 2024 I have just received a parking charge final reminder letter, dated 10th April 2024 - for an overstay.  This is the first to my knowledge of any overstay. I am aware that I am out of the 28 days, I don’t mean to be rude, this feels like it is a scam My movements on this day in question are, I pulled into what looked like a service station on my way to pick my daughter and family up from Stansted airport. The reason for me pulling into this area was to use a toilet, so I found Starbucks, and when into there, after the above, I then purchased a coffee. After which I then continued with my journey to pick my daughter up. (however after I sent this email I remember that Starbucks was closed so I then I walked over to Macdonalds) There was no signs about parking or any tickets machines to explains about the parking rules. Once at Stansted, I entered and then paid on exit.  So Im not show where I overstayed my welcome.. With gratitude    
    • Just to enlarge on Dave's great rundown of your case under Penalty. In the oft quoted case often seen on PCNs,  viz PE v Beavis while to Judges said there was a case for claiming that £100 was a penalty, this was overruled in this case because PE had a legitimate interest in keeping the car park free for other motorists which outweighed the penalty. Here there is no legitimate interest since the premises were closed. Therefore the charge is a penalty and the case should be thrown out for that reason alone.   The Appeals dept need informing about what and what isn't a valid PCN. Dummies. You should also mention that you were unable to pay by Iphone as there was no internet connection and there was a long  queue to pay on a very busy day . There was no facility for us to pay from the time of our arrival only the time from when we paid at the machine so we felt that was a bit of a scam since we were not parked until we paid. On top of that we had two children to load and unload in the car which should be taken into account since Consideration periods and Grace periods are minimum time. If you weren't the driver and PoFA isn't compliant you are off scot free since only the driver is liable and they are saying it was you. 
    • Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

RBS Student Credit Card - Unfair treatment

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4375 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi There

I've had a Student Credit Card with RBS for over 3 years now. However, I have recently been defaulted on this card for being over the limit..by £25.

Over the past 2 years or so I've been in and out of hospital for various operations and complications, couple that with being a student, deadlines etc

and juggling a part time job and it's been a struggle.

This has caused me to miss a few months here and there payments, although I have always paid very soon after missing a payment.

However, most recently these charges have put me about 50 over the limit.

I never missed a payment after this, I always paid the minium.

However as I wasnt going back above the credit limit, i was being hit with further charges negating any payment I had made.

After about 2 months of this, the bank obviously decided to threaten me with default.

Last month, I was given a letter saying I was £60 over my limit and that a payment was required immediately to avoid them defaulting my account.

I was in hospital after an operation at the time, however I paid the £60 required on the final day of the due date.

The first woman I spoke to informed me that this would remedy the situation, and that I would not be defaulted.

However, when I called back to make the payment, i was also informed that my account had been hit with further penalties for non-payment and overlimit fee

(even though my account was removed from online banking and I had no way of knowing, i also assumed they would not continue to do this with my account frozen awaiting deafult).

She said i would need to make a further £25 payment to bring the account back within the £250 limit.

I said I would be able to do this at the end of the month when I would normally make my card payments.

about 2 weeks ago, i recieved another letter saying that my account had been terminated.

I called RBS to ask them why this had happened, but they were very unhelpful.

Would not listen to any of my explanations, basically said they were 'sorry' but there was nothing they could do to remove the default as I was still £25 over my limit

even though i paid them the £60 asked in their letter.

I was basically forced to make a £130 part payment of what was owed (£275 overall) and put onto a repayment plan to pay the rest off next month.

Now I was not given any written correspondance saying the extra £25 was required,

the only letter I have is the one saying that paying £60 due would remedy the situation.

I think they way i've been treated is nothing short of a disgrace.

The only reason I was over my limit was due to the disgraceful amount of charges I've been hit with over the years.

I no longer have access to my statements, however I want to write to RBS to get them to send me a list of all charges they have hit me with on this card.

The last time i checked, i would say i've roughly had to pay well over £400 in charges (£12 overlimit, £12 late payment a pop)

and interest on top of those charges would take it even higher.

I don't mean to be flippant, but at the end of the day that card is only a £250 student credit card.

I've been struggling along as most students are, and . To default me, to charge me that much in charges, etc is just appauling.

The fact they've been able to hit me with almost double my credit limit in charges is just wrong.

The only reason i've ended up getting 'defaulted' is due to them constantly hitting me with charge after charge even when i'm making payments to them.

To think my credit rating will be damaged for 6 years over this is depressing.

Some people are in absolute mountains of debt, thousands,

yet the bank are quite happy to be as unhelpful to me as possible as a student,

to not offer me any help at all, and to ruin my credit rating all over a £25 over limit on a £250 credit card.

To me, this just seems unnecessary.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on my situation.

My father works within the banking sector, and he thinks it's a disgrace and that I would definately have grounds to appeal for some kind of reclaiming of those charges,

and to get the default wiped from my record.

Any info you may have would be much appreciated.

Do you think i'm right in thinking this is unacceptable?

I had a brief chat with Citizens Advice,

and they seemed to agree with me, so i'd say I do have some sort of case.

At the end of the day, all I want is the bank to remove this 'default' from my records due to amount of blame that rests on them for causing it in the first place.

£500 of charges over 2 years on a £250 card is just ridiculous, hitting me with £24 + interest each time is just not on.

Thanks all

Greg

Hi welcome to CAG, yes this does seem unfair, but the bank has been looking at

the management of the account throughout it's life and that's why it was defaulted.

Did you actually receive a written default notice for this?

As I see it there is a possibility that the default is unfair as the the default balance

was made up of charges without which the account would not have been defaulted.

You need to make a formal complaint to the Compliance Manager at the banks head

office.

If you need help with this let me know.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Thanks for the quick response Brigadier2jcs

Yes I recieved a Default Notice dated 9th March which requested the payment of £60 within 17 days. I made this payment, that's when they also informed me they'd added further charges since the letter was issued and it would now be £25 over the limit, and they would require payment me to put it back into credit. 2 weeks later they sent the Account Termination letter and asked for full repayment of the outstanding balance on the card. I didn't get anywhere with the guys on the phone, they just wouldn't hear me out at all, all they said was 'sorry but we can't do anything now that it has been defaulted' and forced me into accepting this repayment plan.

I'd appreciate it if you could give me some help on how to speak to the Compliance Manager with RBS.

Cheers

Hi Greg,

I will draft a letter for you in the morning, never bother to use the phone

on a matter like this.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

time to get reclaiming me thinks!

its easy to do.

have you all the statements?

if not SAR RBS.

if as you are saying the 'defaults' were the direct result of their unlawful PENALTY charges

then they should also be removed once reclaiming is successful.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi dx

RBS terminated my access to online banking with that credit card after they issued the default notice, so I can't access it from there. I'm going to go into my local branch tomorrow and request they give me a full statement on the history of the card since it was opened. As far as i'm aware, they are required to give me this if i ask for it.

I would hope so. The extra charges even with my payment of the required amount caused the actual default, not to mention all of the £24 charges and interested over the years that have caused the issues.

Thanks

Hi dx

RBS terminated my access to online banking with that credit card after they issued the default notice, so I can't access it from there. I'm going to go into my local branch tomorrow and request they give me a full statement on the history of the card since it was opened. As far as i'm aware, they are required to give me this if i ask for it.

I would hope so. The extra charges even with my payment of the required amount caused the actual default, not to mention all of the £24 charges and interested over the years that have caused the issues.

Thanks

you might be lucky and get them

though i would suspect they will refer you to HO.

and then SAR them.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

you might be lucky and get them

though i would suspect they will refer you to HO.

and then SAR them.

dx

Yeah unfortunately no luck in-branch, the guy just fobbed me off saying they wouldn't have the credit card statement records here and that i'd have to phone the Credit Card Department and ask for it.

Gave them a call, as expected they just asked me to write in asking for the account statement history, and to enclose the £10 fee etc. The guy gave me the address to write to, so i'll get that in the mail asap. I'm going to use the SAR template from the site, so should get back the whole history of transactions, charges, and anything else.

Once I get back that history, I add up all of the charges etc and get the proper letter sent asking for the repayment of said charges and the removal of default, on Brigadier's draft letter template that he's kindly writing up.

Am I also entitled to ask for all of the interest on these charges back too?

yes the spreadsheet [sOC]

will do that for you.

dx

and they

Reading this again Guidance notes on placing defaults

when the cause of the default is charges without which

the acoount would NOT have been defaulted, NO default

should be recorded.

Don't know how I missed that, the default is therefore unfair.

Reading this again Guidance notes on placing defaults

when the cause of the default is charges without which

the acoount would NOT have been defaulted, NO default

should be recorded.

Don't know how I missed that, the default is therefore unfair.

Thanks for pointing that out, I wasn't too sure what the deal was regarding a default caused through charges etc.

If that's the case, they should surely pay back all of those charges applied over the life of the account and remove the default as they've not adhered to those guidances?

Thanks

Correct, I will rework the letter in the morning, I must have been dreaming:oops:

Hi Greg

Letter to RBS

Data Controller.

Ref: xxxxxxxx

Formal Complaint.

Dear Sir or Madam,

I write in reference to my student credit card issued

to on [date] No.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, RBS have place a default

entry on my credit held by xxxx xxx xxxs credit reference

agencies, It is my opinion that this default has been unfairly

placed.

As you are no doubt aware The Information Commissioners Office

Data Protection Technical Guidance states that no default should

be registered if the default sum is caused by charges without which

the account would NOT have been defaulted, as you will see from

your own records this is exactly what has happened on my account.

I would therefore make a formal request for all entries regarding this

entry should be removed from ALL credit reference agencies to which

you have reported.

I am enclosing herewith copies of correspondence received from RBS

regarding this matter.

Also I have to complain about the unhelpful attitude of your staff member

I spoke to on [date] regarding the default.

I would now expect you to reply to me within 14 days with a resolution to

this matter, I will be preparing a complaint to the ICO in the next 2 weeks.

There you go Greg recorded delivery to RBS Head Office.

• Confused 1