Wrong address on car insurance policy

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4383 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello recently my wife had an accident that was not her fault. A guy smashed into her and claimed liability, as soon as the accident happened I got out my policy documents witch were all online and rang the insurance company to report the accident. I realised that the address on the policy was not mine but my wife's mothers where she used to live, I didn't take out the insurance my wife did for me, when I asked her about it she said that because her licence was still in her old address she thought the insurance had to be as well , although the car is in my name and is registered at a different address. Anyway I rang the insurance company straight away to change the address witch they did and from then all was fine. I recived a check for my car (remembering that I did not make a claim he accepted liability and it was my wife driving and she is on the policy) and it bounced the insurance are dealing with it but I'm slightly worried I'm a student at uni and don't want to get done for insurance fraud especially when its a genuine mistake can you give me any advice or examples of cases in my situation thank you

As the address at which the policy was held was not a material fact in this particular case, plus it is not your insurance company having to foot the bill, then I doubt it will be an issue.

If however, you were claiming for the car being stolen from your home address, which didn't agree with where the insurance company believed you kept the vehicle, then they would have grounds to dispute your claim as, they could say they hadn't been able to fully assess the risk (and therefore the premium) for you parking it in a potential high risk burglary area.

As the address at which the policy was held was not a material fact in this particular case, plus it is not your insurance company having to foot the bill, then I doubt it will be an issue.

If however, you were claiming for the car being stolen from your home address, which didn't agree with where the insurance company believed you kept the vehicle, then they would have grounds to dispute your claim as, they could say they hadn't been able to fully assess the risk (and therefore the premium) for you parking it in a potential high risk burglary area.

Oh ok that sounds ok although the guys insurance co. is the same Thank you for your reply