pleaded guilty by letter, got fine - do i now have a criminal record?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4384 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am new to this but had a similar experience last year.

I had a weekly ticket that covered me on a paralel train line.

One day within that week i was travelling on a different train line and purchased a ticket for a single journey.

I got stopped at a station and asked to show my ticket.

I had lost the single journey ticket between the beginning of my journey and the end desitnation.

Paid cash for it so no proof of purchase,

I showed the inspector my ticket which coevered me for the paralel line which I thought may get me through.

Instead he said he would be sending it off for the transport people to decide.

I didnt hear anything until a letter came through stating that I had 2 weeks to reply and state whether or not i was guilty or not guilty.

I was goign to be on holiday when the court appearance came up so I jsut did it by mail thinking I would just get a fine.

The fine came through abt £200, I paid it and thought that was it. No mention of a criminal record.

I work in finance and having read this post am now terrified that I actually have a criminal record as stated in this post?

Is there any way I can appeal against this after the decision has been made,

I have never been in trouble with the law before and this will compeletly ruin my career for such a stupid mistake.

Is there any help or have I actually ruined my life?

own thread created here

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

You will definately have a criminal conviction, but whether you have a criminal record will depend on the offence you were convicted of.

Do you get a criminal record even if it is a by-law offence (most likely what OP got convicted for)? If so then I am confused, since aren't parking fines and penalty fares also by-laws?

Thank you for your quick replies. This is why I didnt give it much of a thought. Had no idea it would be this serious. I guess I need to go to the CRB and find out then. Dread.

Do you get a criminal record even if it is a by-law offence (most likely what OP got convicted for)? If so then I am confused, since aren't parking fines and penalty fares also by-laws?

Parking tickets and penalty fares are not byelaw offences unless prosecuted for non payment using the byelaws.

Byelaws are known as 'Non-Recordable' therefore you do not get a 'Record' but you do have a criminal conviction.

SRPO is spot-on of course, if you look back at the Summons that you received it will tell you what the charge is.

If it was breach of Byelaw 18 then it's non-recordable, but if it was 'intent to avoid a fare contrary to S 5 of the Regulation of Railways Act (1889)' it is more serious.

SRPO is spot-on of course, if you look back at the Summons that you received it will tell you what the charge is

If it was breach of Byelaw 18 then it's non-recordable, but if it was 'intent to avoid a fare contrary to S 5 of the Regulation of Railways Act (1889)' it is more serious.

It is the Byelaw one. Will this show up on a CRB check or do I have to declare this when starting a new position? I'm a contractor and move jobs every year or so and I will be CRB checked for every job.

It is the Byelaw one. Will this show up on a CRB check or do I have to declare this when starting a new position? I'm a contractor and move jobs every year or so and I will be CRB checked for every job.

Everyone who has a conviction should declare it ONLY IF ASKED, but this is not a recordable offence that will show up on a standard CRB check and I doubt any prospective employer would ever be concerned by it.

I am new to this but had a similar experience last year.

I had a weekly ticket that covered me on a paralel train line.

One day within that week i was travelling on a different train line and purchased a ticket for a single journey.

I got stopped at a station and asked to show my ticket.

I had lost the single journey ticket between the beginning of my journey and the end desitnation.

Paid cash for it so no proof of purchase,

I showed the inspector my ticket which coevered me for the paralel line which I thought may get me through.

Instead he said he would be sending it off for the transport people to decide.

I didnt hear anything until a letter came through stating that I had 2 weeks to reply and state whether or not i was guilty or not guilty.

I was goign to be on holiday when the court appearance came up so I jsut did it by mail thinking I would just get a fine.

The fine came through abt £200, I paid it and thought that was it. No mention of a criminal record.

I work in finance and having read this post am now terrified that I actually have a criminal record as stated in this post?

Is there any way I can appeal against this after the decision has been made,

I have never been in trouble with the law before and this will compeletly ruin my career for such a stupid mistake.

Is there any help or have I actually ruined my life?

Hi, you say parallel lines. I appreciate you may not wish to post details on a public forum, but if you do name the stations and lines concerned, there's an outside possibility that the ticket might actually have been valid which can be checked. It's a long shot, up to you.

Thank you for your replies.

My weekly ticket was between Benfleet and Limehouse but I was travelling between Wickford and Stratford. One is c2c the other is Greater Anglia. I don't have the ticket still as it was last year but it will be linked to my travel card I presume if this is the case?