Cap Quest SD for old halifax OD debt

g40_boy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4379 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I have been reading the site for a while with interest,

following a failed business investment 3 years ago,

I have been in a poor financial state, and had the usual threatening letters/calls from a myriad of DCA's.

I have ignored them up until now, and reading the advice on here from similar cases has helped lots!

However, I have just receieved yesterday a letter with a computer generated statutory demand from Cap Quest, relating to a debt with Halifax bank for an unpaid overdraft.

The SD signature is computer generated, and some details are missing, so I think it is a scare tactic.

However, should I start the route of getting it set aside, as well as contacting Cap Quest by mail with a CCA request.

Also, should I now contact Halifax with a SAR?

A couple of points to note,

the address from Cap Quest is incorrect (they missed part of my house name off, the postman obviously knows my name though so I have received it!)

and the SD was sent by standard 1st class mail.

The SD is dated 12th April, but I only received it yesterday (17th) does the 18/21 days start from date of issue or receipt?

Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated.

g40_boy

Particulars of the debt: The debt relates to the unpaid balance of sums due under Credit Agreement dated made between Mr xxxxxx and Hbos plc in respect of HALFX current number D/xxxxxxx. The agreement terminated upon the failure of Mr xxxx to comply with the terms of the agreement and/or a statutory notice of default served by Hbos plc.

The rights and duties of Hbos Plc passed to the Creditor pursuant to an assignment dated 30 Nov 11

The Total amount due as at the date of this demand is £xxxx.xx which includes interest of £xxx.xx which has accrued since the assignment of the debt.

The text above is EXACTLY as it has been sent to me (no date in text for example) with just the personal bits blanked out. Amount outstanding is well above the £750 threshold for bankruptcy if they followed that route!

It is not statute barred, however it does not show anywhere on my credit file. I never received a letter of assignment. Last dealings with the account was around 3 years ago, nothing has been paid or admitted since. I have moved house but have mail redirection, however Cap Quest are writing to my new address (well almost, they got the address wrong but it managed to arrive!).

Thanks

g40_boy

If you want to set this aside then you would have to send off a CCA request to Capquest, and a SAR to the original creditor.....you have no doubt seen some of the defences on these fourms, but if you are going to set it aside then you would need to be preapred to stand up in front of a judge and show any potential dispute or abuse of process (Capquest are unlikely to turn up)....

The fact that they haven't even bothered to serve the demand on you is a potential abuse of process....

What you must do however is send a copy of the statutory demand to the Office Of Fair Trading. - in their most recent debt collection guidance update they specifically mention the 'inappropriate use' of statutory demands....which this clearly is...

Happy to go to court and more than happy to send details to the OFT. Regarding the CCA and SAR, I have printed everything ready to go, just waiting to see advice on here, however I won't get a reply within the time frame for having the SD set aside, is this likely to be a problem?

No because you tailor your witness statement to say as such......they have the cheek to send out a stat demand without providing any information whatsoever.....and your CCA request (which goes to Capquest) has to be complied with before they can initiate any further action.....do you need help with the witness statement ?

Hi again,

CCA and SAR sent today by recorded mail, with appropriate fee enclosed. I will wait with interest. What happens if I don't get a reply within the prescribed time limit?

Regarding the set aside, I have printed forms and looked at similar cases, but if you have a template or any advice that would be appreciated. I assume I am arguing over the fact I don't believe the debt to be mine, and they have not produced evidence to the contrary.

Finally, once I have sworn the documents at the court, I will be sending a copy of the SD with a covering letter to the OFT!

g40_boy

Don't worry about the time limit for receiving the details back......you can state in your witness statement that they haven't sent a copy of your agreement despite your request. If there is any hint of a triable issue, for instance such as agreement enforceability, non compliant default notice, wrong interest rates on the statement compared to what the agreement says, etc etc then a judge should throw it out.....have a look here - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?345378-CapQuest-threatening-Statutory-Demand/page3&highlight=capquest

• dx100uk changed the title to Cap Quest SD for old halifax OD debt