Help with late charge (£20 a day?!)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4389 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey guys,

First post!

Basically - Me and my landlord don't have a good history.. I moved in on 14th jan and instantly regretted it.. Had to get environmental health round multiple times as the electric regularly cut out, no hot water as boiler was over 11 years old and kept breaking.. He didnt protect deposit until 20th feb as I pressured him to do it, Trying to charge me for a messy room when he showed people around my flat (despite not giving me notice that he was, otherwise I would of ensured it was spotless!)

But now the main problem is..

On the 1st April, My last month I only had to pay 14 days rent as I was moving out on the 14th Apr, I asked him a few days prior how much I should pay as its not a full month.. He never got back to me and as I was worried about my deposit I didnt actually pay any rent.. On my contract it says that there will be a £20 late fee per day for unpaid rent..

Out of my 625.00 deposit, He is saying that I owe him like 550 in unpaid rent and charges.. What do I do now? - Do I face up and take it or fight it? £20 per DAY!?

I greatly appreciate any help!

£20 / day overdue payment would be deemed 'unfair term' & unlawful penalty IMO

However you moved in 14 Jan 12? On a 6 month AST? with rent payable pcm in advance on 1st or 14 th of month?

If AST, then you are committed for 6 months rent unless a mutual surrender was agreed. If you occupy property on rent due day or start of T period, then full month rent is payable, LL is under no obligation to pro rata last month.

To fully understand your situation we need to know T dates, type, fixed term and rent due dates.

Deposit cannot be used for rent during T so April rent is still owed.