• Tweets

• depends what the fees are, typically nothing can be added once judgement is passed bar litigation costs. on document retention time limits etc at least 6yrs previous must be held though many hold complete info. as for acronyms and abbreviations ideally yes they should     
    • Still have to submit a statement either system....if they fail they can only give verbal because they failed to file and serve.
    • OP stated they had been arrested, but not charged (let alone convicted). They DON'T have a criminal record, but do have an entry on the PNC. That information stays on the PNC (Police National Computer) for life, but doesn't get released in a standard DBS. It only MIGHT get released for an Enhanced DBS (eDBS) check  ... but it would be incredibly unlikely. (The rational behind this is that eDBS's allow for 'information at Chief Officer of Police's discretion' ..... this covers the 2 'barring lists' and is also intended for the scenario where someone has multiple arrests or investigations, where safeguarding is a concern .... it was brought in after the Soham murders / Ian Huntley case, where the information known about the now-convicted child murderer may have prevented his employment in a school, had it been made available). So, for the sake of accuracy and completeness, arrests stay on the PNC for life, wont appear in a standard DBS, MIGHT appear in an eDBS, but in reality, would be the exception rather than the norm, and I can't see them being released  to a defense barrister. What then if the defence found out a different way, and brought it up in court?. Again, unlikely, but the important feature is that the judge would make sure they trod very carefully!. They MIGHT consider using it if there were other factors that allowed them to try to cast doubts as to the truthfulness of your evidence, but on its own : No way. Anyone MIGHT be arrested (if a seemingly plausible complaint been made against them)! The approach to take if it did come up is to be truthful. "Yes, I was arrested. It arose from a vexatious complaint. I wasn't charged, let alone convicted. That could happen to any one of us, if a vexatious complaint gets made" Far better that than lying, saying you'd never been arrested, and getting caught in a lie : that would ruin your credibility. I'm incredibly doubtful it will even come up, though.
    • we dont get N157 because its new OCMC but no court dont have evidence either.   Just seems a bit of a pointless wait but oh well
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4360 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear all,

We have been renting a property that went from a 6 month AST to a periodic tenancy.

Our rent payments are due on the 6th of every month.

I take it that the 2 months notice period is in effect from our next month rental payment 6th May and we need to vacate to property at the latest on 6th July but can still hand our own one months notice on 6th May to leave by the 6th June?

They rang my partner not myself so I'm awaiting confirmation via e-mail on what they actually said.

So just to confirm, do you have a notice to leave the property?

not as yet, we just a a phone from the Estate Agent that the Landlord has given the Estate Agent the statutory 2 months notice as she want to sell the property.

not as yet, we just a a phone from the Estate Agent that the Landlord has given the Estate Agent the statutory 2 months notice as she want to sell the property.

Do not do anything until you physically get a Section 21 Notice. Verbal notification is not good enough.

This is from the Shelter website:-

If your landlord uses the shorthold ground (which s/he can only do if your deposit is held in a deposit protection scheme) the notice must:

be in writing

be at least two months long (or the amount of time between rent payments, whichever is longer)

end on the last day of a rental period

state that it is by virtue of Section 21 of the Housing Act 1988.

Suffice to say that if they have notified you today, then I believe the notice now must start on the 6th May ending in July. Otherwise you have not received the full sat notice period.

(I'm dealing with a similar situation, and have to wait for the court to issue an eviction notice as we have to go on the council register and they will not move until the court evict us. A Section 21 is not an eviction notice, it is a request to leave)

Do not do anything until you physically get a Section 21 Notice. Verbal notification is not good enough.

This is from the Shelter website:-

Suffice to say that if they have notified you today, then I believe the notice now must start on the 6th May ending in July. Otherwise you have not received the full sat notice period.

(I'm dealing with a similar situation, and have to wait for the court to issue an eviction notice as we have to go on the council register and they will not move until the court evict us. A Section 21 is not an eviction notice, it is a request to leave)

thank you for your advise, we half expected it when we found a valuation of the property had been done on our last inspection. I think our Estate Agent was just giving us the heads up as i told them my concerns of the valuation being done at same time of the inspection and to let me know as soon as they did if the property was going on the market.

In away it gives us enough time to get our notice in to leave ASAP to leave when we wish to, so on Rightmove now looking for properties. Were especially annoyed as when we took the property the estate agent advised the property would most probably be long term or as long as wel wanted, 10 months down the line and.........

thank you for your advise, we half expected it when we found a valuation of the property had been done on our last inspection. I think our Estate Agent was just giving us the heads up as i told them my concerns of the valuation being done at same time of the inspection and to let me know as soon as they did if the property was going on the market.

In away it gives us enough time to get our notice in to leave ASAP to leave when we wish to, so on Rightmove now looking for properties. Were especially annoyed as when we took the property the estate agent advised the property would most probably be long term or as long as wel wanted, 10 months down the line and.........

No worries :) I'm in a similar situation. Knew my landlord was going to pull the rug from under us. If things get sticky or confusing I'd advise speaking to Shelter. They are very helpful with these matters.

Rent due day not nec the correct day, SPT rules work on T dates not rent dates.

eg T commenced (moved in) 1 Jun, rent paid pcm and due on 6th of month, fixed term 6mo, then fixed term ended 5 Dec & SPT commenced 6 Dec SPT month = 6th to 5th of following month

s21 if served after 5 Dec must expire after 5th Feb Rent due dates often but not always coincide with T dates. If they do, then the rule is T must move out day before next rent due date IF T gave NTQ during SPT

LL s21 does not terminate the T on expiry, it is merely a Notice that LL intends to seek repo at some time after expiry of Notice period. If T intends to abide to that date, then T should give LL valid 1 clear month NTQ.

If you pay rent on the 6th of the month then you have to give notice by or on the 5th of one month to leave by or on the 5th of the next month.

thanks for confirmation.

I have viewing of a house hopefully tonight, which is twice the size of the bungalow we currently rent for not much more money, would be a lovely easy move if goes well as it just down the road. This time tomorrow i will hopefully be be posting off (recorded delivery) my one months notice to be leaving on the 5th June, fingers crossed.

• 3 weeks later...

well we did not take the house were were scheduled to view as it had gone.

Now on to the serious matter. The estage agents appears to only like talking to my parnter, he ignors my e-mails and never phones me.

He has left a a voicemail stating we have to the 5th of July 2012 but he is sending a new rental contract out for us to sign which he says after talking the the landlord should allow us more time to find somewhere, it gives allows us one month notice to leave and the same one month notice from the landlord.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but we have had no written confirmation giving us 2 months notice to be out by the 5th July (just a few voicemails) , surely this all needs to be in writing from the estate agent?

yes.......... you have to have a section 21 notice in writing, which only informs you that the LL wants to take posession... It still does not mean that you have to leave after 2 months.... So with the dates that you are using if you have not had the section 21 in writing by Sunday they will have to wait another month till 5th August before seeking a posession order..... you on the other hand still only have to give 1 months notice....

I am not a solicitor :!::!:

Most of my knowledge came from this site :-D:-D

If I have been helpful in any way at all .............. Please click my star..... :-(:-(

well we have received this this morning,

http://i45.tinypic.com/343oowk.jpg

its dated the 4th May but not received till today 8th May i presume because of the bank holiday. I'm confused what section 48 and surely the agreement renal date should now be 5th August giving us 2 clear months notice as it was received on the 8th May missing the cut off point of our payment date 5th May?

Thanks

That does not look like a notice to quit... For what it is worth I would ignore that completely, and continue to look for somewhere else to live, and when you find somewhere give the required 1 months notice to leave.

If I have been helpful in any way at all .............. Please click my star..... :-(:-(

That does not look like a notice to quit... For what it is worth I would ignore that completely, and continue to look for somewhere else to live, and when you find somewhere give the required 1 months notice to leave.

thanks, so would this be tieing us into staying till at least 5th July or if correctly amended 5th August? TBH i can not see any benefit ATM of signing this agreement in our favour, we currently have not been served any notice period to quit which can only be served from the 5th June now to leave on the 5th August (8 weeks) and still allowing us to serve a 1 month notice by 5th June to quit on the 5th July.

To be honest I cannot see what the aim of it is.... maybe others will be able to enlighten us. As you say do not sign anything, as you have not received a section 21 so now, as you rightly summise August is the earliest they could ask you to leave (still does not mean that you have to go then though).

Your best interests are served by not signing anything at all from them.

I'm getting annoyed now, i have had a different estate agent ring me up asking to arrange a time to come and take details of the property for sale purposes!!! Should they not be trying to organsise this through our letting agent?

At the moment we have still not had any official notice telling us the land lord wants to sell in writing, do we have a right to refuse this till we do?

Why not allow new EA to measure up for sale details at a time convenient to you, if it keeps LL happy? Your contract is with LL, not LA, I presume; LA would only have to ring you for your consent & LL may not want LA to know a sale is contemplated.

Do not allow photographs which include your personal possessions though.

Does rent day coincide with start date of AST?

You state T is already SPT so any notice (LL or T) must be served (received) by end of a T period and cannot expire until last day of rel T period. Normally, rent is due on 1st day of T period, (5th?) so last day would be 4th.

Why not allow new EA to measure up for sale details at a time convenient to you, if it keeps LL happy? Your contract is with LL, not LA, I presume; LA would only have to ring you for your consent & LL may not want LA to know a sale is contemplated.

Do not allow photographs which include your personal possessions though.

Does rent day coincide with start date of AST?

You state T is already SPT so any notice (LL or T) must be served (received) by end of a T period and cannot expire until last day of rel T period. Normally, rent is due on 1st day of T period, (5th?) so last day would be 4th.

I do not think a phone call to my mobile number with no advance notification from LL or LA is very good practice. Our existing LA will have all the details required as they let the property out on the LL behalf obviously.

How else are they going to contact you to sort a time out?

As mariner said the Landlord may not have told the Letting agent that the property is to be sold.

Therefore the letting agent would not be getting in touch with you about viewings. However the estate agent are just trying to get hold of you, to sort out a viewing date, and sorry but there is nothing unreasonable about that.

How else are they going to contact you to sort a time out?

As mariner said the Landlord may not have told the Letting agent that the property is to be sold.

Therefore the letting agent would not be getting in touch with you about viewings. However the estate agent are just trying to get hold of you, to sort out a viewing date, and sorry but there is nothing unreasonable about that.

I think the point is being missed here. My LA has yet to give us any notice to quit, they also act on behalf of us, so why would i be expecting a phone calls from another estate agent when i've had no notice to quit ? This should be through and arranged with our LA through us and then a appropriate time sorted to then be informed with the other estate agent. I can only see it being done as to not involve our LA because the LL chose another estate agent to sell the property.

You also seem to be missing the point.. You do not have any contract or business with the letting agent, they only have a contract with the Landlord, and Not you, if the LL chooses to deal with another estate agent without telling the original letting agent, then that is his business I am afraid and not yours.. You do still have the right to decline the viewings, but the new estate agent is within their rights to phone you and ask you. Next time they do, perhaps you should say to them to get the LL to call you to discuss this.

But back to your original question.... You only have to give 1 rental period notice, and your LL has to give you 2.

It is LLs resp to instruct LA and arrange Notice. 'your' LA does not act on your behalf, they are engaged by LL. You have no contract with LA. Your last sentence is prob correct, but LL can appoint anyone they like to market the property.

The EA has been coureous to you asking for an appointment. You may need good LL ref when you move.

LL can put property on market at any time during your T, before deciding whether to give you notice.

We do everything through our LA, Gas safety checks, reporting of faults and any other issues and appointments that need to be made are always through them. We have never spoken to the LL, hence why this is strange to have a phone call direct with no notice from our LA and if we did ever need a reference i would presume it would be from our LA as we have never had contact with the LL? I think i shall ring the LA tomorrow to advise of this and politely request all arrangements are made through them in future to anyone whom calls other them themselves. At the end of the day this could be anyone wishing to view our home with no official record through our LA whom are contracts are with on behalf of the LL.

well in the interest of keeping things moving along smoothly i chose to communicate direct with the EA whom sounded very reasonable as involving our LA would have been long winded and who i'm losing faith with now anyhow!

Well the EA was polite and took measurements of the property, but i requested no photos to be taken of the inside of property as currently still has all our belongs and fixtures, was i within my rights to request this as she sounded shocked when i advised her!