Compromise Agreement - legal fees

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4384 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

After a few weeks going through 'consultation' on a sham redundancy, after a lengthy negotiation and threatening to take them to a tribunal, I've finally got my employer to verbally agree a Compromise Agreement for an amount that I'm reasonably happy with, and I should be getting the draft written agreement soon.

The figure that they've suggested for legal fees seems on the low side - £250 (in Central London)

Does this seem a reasonable/normal sum?

Lia

they pay the fees anyhow.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

they pay the fees anyhow.

dx

Hi DX

thanks for replying - I know they pay the fees, it's just that I was concerned that the cap on legal fees that they'd attempted to set seemed on the low side - but the barrister seems happy with it!

Lia

ok

no thats std for com ags

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

We ask for a minimum of 250 plus VAT as a contribution. If there are any significant drafting issues, negotiations or if it's a bad deal, 250 usually won't cover the work if it's a big job. Bearing in mind a solicitors hourly rate, for a junior at around 150 per hour plus VAT, it only covers about 90 minutes of time. A meeting can take that long and there's also all the preparation time involved and the admin necessary to complete the job, so usually time ends up being written off for that amount. So yes, it's low, but perfectly normal and doable.

Thanks Becky - my former employers do use a fairly good solicitors so hopefully it won't take too much work/amending.

It was being familiar with solicitors rates that made me question the amount my employer had offered to pay.

I'm using a direct access barrister, who's already been incredibly helpful with advice to this stage, but he's fine with the £250 - although we've not actually seen the draft document yet (it has actually arrived in my in-box, but I've just got home and decided to deal with it first thing in the morning).

A friend of mine used the same barrister a couple of years ago when made redundant, and couldn't remember the hourly rate charged, only that it had seemed very reasonable at the time

Lia